Queen - The Game - 40 years old!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anthrax, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

I love it. It was my first Queen LP.

Michael Rose likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The end of Queen's "classic" era (although I like plenty of what they did afterwards), but man, what an eight-album run.

Efus and Rockford & Roll like this.
  3. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

I was 12 and had gotten my first tape recorder for Christmas. Whole evenings sitting in front of it recording from FM, and this was one of the first albums I bought on cassette. Back then my favourites were "Dragon Attack", "Crazy Little Thing" and most of all "Save Me", loved the video too. Already a little romantic at that age. :winkgrin:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  4. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Not a big fan of Queen. My favorite Queen album. Doesn't really fit with the rest. The only Queen album I can listen to completely and regularly.

"Dragon Attack" is my favorite Queen song.

Michael Rose and Geee! like this.
  5. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Saw Queen live for the 1st time on the Crazy Tour that just preceded this album, they were playing Save Me before it came out. What a night for teenage me that was. The Game was the 1st album proper by Queen that I bought on the day of release. I remember travelling home with the album reading the lyrics of the songs I’d not heard yet and trying to imagine what they sounded like before I got to play them.

Wished they’d have visited the archive for the 40th Anniversary release. I see to recall reading in some interviews back then that they had so much music they’d considered it being a double album. I don’t know if that’s true or can’t imagine what might be in the vaults. Oh for a Queen to have a good archiving and release programme.... but hey - I doubt it in my lifetime now.

Geee! and Teufelzkerl like this.
  6. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

I think this was the first Queen album I heard in full, at age 12. Loved it and "Play the Game" remains possibly my favorite Queen song. That melody.

7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I have to admit that I like "JAZZ" a lot more, but the strongest tracks on this album are truly classic Queen. Some fillers, but more than enough to keep me happy. And, as mentioned by our revered @mark winstanley, the surround mix, which I recently splashed out on, is terrific. I wish they would release more Queen in surround sound.

Efus, mark winstanley and primejive like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

One of their best albums. Unfortunately no anniversary super deluxe box set announced or already out there.

9. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

One of a handful of lps my big bro played to death year of release that really sunk into me, helping forge my own desire to become a record accumulator. Love it, remains my fave Queen lp all the way thru tho that nostalgia may be part of it, but it seems objectively peppy varied powerful smart catchy emotional all those great things to me still.

10. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I've come to like it more and more in recent years.

11. It's Queen so it's a good album, but probably my least favorite. I love "Save Me" though.

12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Dragon Attack is top tier Queen. And Another one bites the dust a well deserved hit

Thorpy likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Let me guess those duds...
    Rock it and Don't try suicide

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Urrrrmmm weeeelllll.
    Yea :)

Jarleboy and Sear like this.
  15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Like other fans, I was too young to know/care about Queen at the time, but when I became a fan and got this album a few years later I just fell in love with it. "Every song is different!" It blew me away how every song sounded different yet they all grabbed me for one reason or another. I don't think I can be objective, I just love this album, every single damn song, and if I haven't tired of it by now I think I never will.

I especially love the emotional quota of the album, stuff like Sail Away Sweet Sister - brilliant. And I also love the 2 wonderful songs that bookend the whole thing: Play The Game and Save Me. Ohhh wow. Just great stuff.

I'm envious of anyone who got to see them live ever, but especially during this era. Queen late '70s/early '80s were amazing live and Freddie was at his powerful best.

What a record. What a band!

16. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

One of my great regrets was never getting a chance to see them live.
    Not sure they ever came to Perth

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

My favourite Queen album.

Michael Rose likes this.
  18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I like 6 songs out of 10

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Last Queen album I really like. Rest of them have some good songs scattered here and there but this was the last Queen album I bought new.

20. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

You ever give Innuendo a chance? It really is a throwback to the mid 70s period.

Chew likes this.
  21. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Echoing what others have said already, this was my first Queen album, my introduction really. Picked it up from my first adventure in a record store in 1999 with a friend who guided me by what his dad liked (mine was out of the picture in 96 and didn’t like rock music). Before this I didn’t know anything about them. At the time I fell in love with the electric guitar in rock music from the 70’s and 80’s through KISS Destroyer and the Paul Stanley solo album, Brian May had the sound I wanted to hear. Previously I really loved the oldies rock from the 50’s and 60’s which got me interested in seeking out the old records. Every time I hear it I’m transported back to early 1999 when I started exploring the classic rock albums from the 60’s-80’s. Those classic rock albums were far more appealing than most new music then, also much more affordable. Dragon Attack (killer guitar riff) and Sail Away Sweet Sister are my choice cuts. Some time later I laid my hands on the original foil cover and 8-track. Pure classic!
    [​IMG]

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'll have to check it out.

23. Old Sport

Old Sport Forum Resident

This is what I love about this forum. You read something and before you know it you are playing the album under discussion and appreciating the old and new.

When this first came out I was a little disappointed and felt they were becoming too pop and commercial, although still loving the classic Queen tracks like Play the Game, Sail away Sweet Sister and Save Me.

Even back in 1980, I thought the record sounded excellent on my old Pioneer turntable. Now decades later I think this is an amazing all round Queen album, with the hits and Freddie at his strongest vocally. What I notice is how much I marvel at Deacon’s bass on every track. The 2015 Half speed mastering vinyl version I have is as good if not better than anything I have heard through the years. This seems to showcase the bass. The woody tone, (is this double bass?) on Don’t try suicide, to high almost piccolo bass notes on Sail away all make major contributions to this album. I have now been listening to the album as a John Deacon master work - obviously he is thundering away on Another one, Dragon and Crazy little thing but listen to him throughout. Yes, they were an incredible band. Not just Brian’s immaculate tasteful guitaring and Freddie’s incomparable vocals and compositions, but John and Roger as well.

Thorpy, Efus, Anthrax and 4 others like this.
  24. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

To me Jazz is the last really great Queen album. I view The Game as kind of a transitional album, taking Queen into the 80's and more spotty records, mixing great stuff with sometimes outright awful stuff. The Game has some brilliant songs on it: Play the Game, Another One Bites the Dust (although unplayable these days), Dragon Attack and Save Me. Crazy Little Thing Called Love is fun as the pastiche it is. The rest are pretty bad. So a very uneven album, again like all Queen albums to follow imo.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I remember when I was about thirteen and my dad had a copy of this. From his future second wife I later found out! I thought the cover was fantastic and then there's pictures of the band in ordinary looking civvies and some interesting knitwear. Not heard much by Queen by then, except the GH and The Works. Loved it all. Even the Suicide & Rock It. They never seemed to take it all too seriously, unlike a lot of bands, and I liked that.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.