Queen - The Game - 40 years old!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anthrax, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

This was my first Queen album. I bought it based on the cover, thinking they were a punk band. I was 7 years old and my older cousin was into Sex Pistols and Clash.

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup. I bought both Greatest Video Hits DVDs when they were released and they're still in regular rotation on the 5.1 system. I love how they played with the mixes for those DVDs, and even lesser favourites become highlights through the sheer fun of listening to the surround sound.

For the longest time I used to believe we'd see a Greatest Video Hits 3, but I've finally made my peace with the fact that I'm even lucky to have the other 2 volumes, and I don't expect to see another video collection like that from Queen - not a GVH3, not a blu-ray comprehensive set, nothing. It is what it is.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Agree. I have two Queen surround discs. I think all of them would fit on one BDA. I´d buy it! :agree:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

In an ideal world we would get a remastered, upgraded, reframed (in proper aspect ratio) collection of all the Queen videos in surround. It should be the Complete Queen Collection. All videos upgraded in original aspect ratio with full surround. Probably a 2 Blu-ray set so that you can have all the official videos on the first disc and a bonus disc for the extras - extended versions, maybe animated or lyric videos etc that have been done officially. In an ideal world again, it would be a complete video collection with everything, including the Made In Heaven videos on the extras disc.
    Thats what Id like to see anyway :)

juanmanuel, BeatleJWOL and Jarleboy like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I bought this very early on. Before “Another Bites the Dust” became a monster hit. I didn’t really like it that much. The only song that really grabbed me was “Dragon Attack”. I listen to this maybe about two weeks ago and could barely get through it. “Dragon Attack” still rocks. The rest is meh.

6. Anthrax

You've described my Queen-videos-bluray fantasy, indeed. It'd take me approximately 0.001 seconds to click on the pre-order button.

BeatleJWOL, OberonOz and Jarleboy like this.
  7. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Heh, I wish I could talk to Brian and Roger and get them to agree with me cos my fantasy - which could come in stages, Im not (too) greedy, would involve a complete Queen multi-channel blu-ray audio set (all the individual albums in 5.1 probably as a box set and also individually), the complete Queen video collection I mentioned, and then Live At Hyde Park 76, Live at Earls Court 77, a Live Killers box (which would include the Concerts for Kampuchea performance and as many other performances as necessary to make up a complete concert), Live in South America 81 and Live in Japan 82 and 85 and Live in Rio. All of the live videos would be cleaned up as much as possible with great 5.1 sound and would be complete concerts with nothing left out.
    That would be my fantasy :)

8. Anthrax

Hell yes, I'll take all of those.

When you convince Roger and Brian to go ahead with your devious plan, just make sure they release them one at a time. Some of us would like to keep having meals with some regularity. :D

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'd be satisfied with the complete videos collection you described. Even that seems too fantastical at this point.

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Must be late ‘79, early ‘80, just before the ‘stache.
    Very new wave look they sported around that time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Lonecat likes this.
  11. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Also LOVE the Joe Jackson single! :thumbsup:

12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The most amazing thing is that it’s practically made up on the spot.
    It’s incredible!

Jarleboy and Lonecat like this.
  13. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

No way !

We have to realise that if we were in year 1970 instead of 2020, we would be talking about an album that came out ... ...in 1930 !
    That's what 40 years means !

I still think it was just yesterday, when that album came out.
    Unbelievable.

Lonecat likes this.
  14. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

The Game and Back in Black were the first two vinyl albums I ever bought - just can't recall which was the actual first one!! I'm still very fond of The Game. Probably their last album I REALLY enjoyed - diminishing returns thereafter for me

15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You’re not too far off.
    IV & Aqualung, both from 1971 and both featuring old geezers with a lot of hair on the cover, the Aqualung one bearing a resemblance to Ian Anderson on purpose and Ian Anderson pretty much = JT. ;)

Geee! likes this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Surprised by the many positive reactions, btw.
    Musically it really isn’t a million miles removed from that black sheep that so many love to rip apart (undeservedly).

NunoBento likes this.
  17. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

I didn't have The Game until years after it's release not sure why, possibly one of my college roommates had it and that was good enough. I did see them during The Game tour, they sang Mustapha which I hadn't heard before. (someone in the audience that night filmed that song and to the best of my knowledge it is the only live performance of that song that exists on film.) For a couple reasons that song in particular is my most vivid memory of that night. Freddie's voice wasn't great that night but I managed to get near the piano for Play The Game and it was a lovely performance.

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Yeah, it seems a bit arbitrary to roll out the carpet for NOTW while this particular album seems to be of more importance in their career trajectory. Not a knock on NOTW (which I love), but The Game is much more of a statement.

johnsiddique likes this.
  19. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

And there it is, right on the white inner sleeve!
    I can only imagine the reaction of fans back in the day... :D

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Ok, so I’m listening to the 2-discer (2011 deluxe) right now...
    Love the album, perfect flow and such, but man is it brief!

Also dig the bonus disc.
    Some great stuff on there.
    Absolutely love the first take for Sail Away Sweet Sister.

21. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Or even more scary if we were in the year 1990 instead of 2020, we would be talking about an album that came out ... ...in 1950 !

I personally LOVE The Game. A great little Queen album. The title track is an all-timer and Dragon Attack rocks plenty. Love the follow up Hot Space too, which took disco one step further.

Zongadude and johnsiddique like this.
  22. Anthrax

Fantastic. :)

23. Archon

Archon Forum Resident

Top notch album. The sound quality of the first UK pressing is outstanding as well. One of the best sounding rock albums you can get.

andrewskyDE and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.