Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

I can't imagine any circumstances under which Queen would pay Ludwig to do 24bit mastering of their catalogue again, when he did just that a few years ago. Even The Beatles used the same remasters (with some tweaking) for their stereo vinyl box a few years after the CDs. ...And Queen are notoriously lazy with this sort of stuff. Attention to detail / fan focus has not been their strong suit of late.

So that leaves me a little skeptical about whether Queen would go to effort of the extra tweaking that The Beatles box featured.

I would really like to know whether Queen followed the Beatles lead and removed the compression/hard limiting, which dogged the Ludwig 2011 remasters. For me, that will make the difference between shelling out or not shelling out for this box.

stodgers and aroney like this.
  2. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

It is noisier.

http://www.recordindustry.com/vinyl/colored-vinyl

3. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Garbage

It is noiser.

Black vinyl is not coloured, it has carbon in it.

see above details from recordindustry pressing plant re coloured vinyl.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

5. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Between the last round of Zep deluxe sets, the Bowie set and now this it seems like Christmas is coming early! This is a no brainer for me!

6. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Nice and polite I see. :doh:

So, a link to one manufacturer is what you go by?

It's the quality of the vinyl used. There's plenty of black vinyl that is utter crap. The problem with some colored vinyl is that manufacturers will often use recycled (LOWER quality) vinyl to make them. You'll find this with low quality black vinyl too.

Quality color LP's are indistinguishable aside from other colors being harder to see scratches and grooves.

Believe what ya like.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

It's these high quality reissues that make me wish that the original recordings of their early to mid '70s material were better. They must've turned the input gain on those up to 100 dB.

8. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The colouring material used to blacken the transparent PVC plastic mix is carbon black, the generic name for the finely divided carbon particles produced by the incomplete burning of a mineral oil based hydrocarbon. Carbon black increases the strength of the disc and renders it opaque. It is a homogenizing agent which helps reduce surface noise to a good extent.

Was that a retorhical question?

9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Of course there is lots of crap black vinyl. That has everything to do with QC than the colour.

I buy a lot of vinyl , have a resolving system and coloured vinyl by far has the greater % of noise compared to black vinyl.

believe what you want, but with blanket statements like yours may indicate you may not buy much music on vinyl.

10. aroney

The PVC is transparent.

11. aroney

You got me pegged! Vinyl is for hipsters. I mainly just listen to 128 kb MP3's. It all sounds the same to me. :pineapple:

12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

If that includes the turntable, actually, not that bad a deal.

13. aroney

Turntable is not included.

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

No. It must be noisier. Some guy found a link to a site on the internet that says so.

Buddhahat, Tullman and jon9091 like this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

And he calls himself turntable, so he must know.

Buddhahat and Tullman like this.
  16. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

lol no

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

15 colored vinyl albums in a box, some being double, a hardbound book and a custom Rega turntable for $445...sounds about right.

18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Well, if you get all that in your cart, it will be one of the greatest internet purchases of all time!

19. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Hey all!
    I didn't see any thread about this, so I made one myself.

A new box set is coming out!
    http://www.queenonlinestore.com/Que...Collection-Coloured-Vinyl-Box-Set/4O1C056O071

It will include all the albums (not the live recordings or greatest hits). Innuendo and Made in Heaven will be split into two records. Mastered by Bob Ludwig at half speed.

The bad?
    Sourced from the original master tapes - ehm, 96/24 digital copies of them, apparently because "the originals needed restorations".
    Colored vinyl. The claim they used a new material that shouldn't ruin the sound, will it be true?
    Pricey. 285 GBP / 400 Eur.

All the albums will be available separately on black vinyl, the press release says. Mmm.... interesting! I'm actually thinking about getting the individual ones.

20. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

21. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Man... things like this make me so jealous that I collect CD's instead of Vinyl. I can only imagine how downloaders and streamers feel. I still like to see more bands and artists do things like this and raise the standard of what music collectors expect from reissues.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

23. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I just went to the official store. What you say is true if you buy in pounds.
    But if you switch the currency to Euros it is the other way around: it is way less expensive to buy the Lps individually than to buy the box.

Actually what is going is that the indiviual Lps are less expensive in Euros than in Pounds or in Dollars. While the box is approximately the same price in each three currencies.

Calico likes this.
  24. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I said f**k it and pre-ordered too. As I said in my own thread on the subject, all I have at present is a Queen Greatest Hits compilation on CD so it'd be nice to experience their genius properly - as full albums.

25. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

I haven't pre-ordered yet. Wanted to do it from Amazon but it's not up there yet. Did they charge your card immediatly after your pre-order? Might as well do it from their website but I get paid next week, don't have the cash right now :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.