Queen without John Deacon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

It's like when Gary Rossington says "yeah, we're just playing the old songs, but I don't really know how to do anything else. I play guitar...I can't really do much else."

Except that Brian May is like an aeronautical engineer or something.

2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Queen ended with Made in Heaven and No One But You, which were tributes to Freddie.

Everything since has been Queen+, which is fine, but it's not in the Queen cannon as far as I'm concerned.

Jmac1979, Mr Day, gotblues and 7 others like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

well, I was strongly reprimanded on this board years ago when I suggested Larry Lurex was Queen. So, I believe the answer must be unequivocally no.:sigh:

4. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Sure, but Page and Plant didnt ask Bootsy Collins to play with them......

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

If Lambert with 'Queen' [- Deacon] means Brian May has forfeited his singing solo career, then I am grateful.

Kiss73 likes this.
  6. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

They replaced him with guys from Plant's solo band in 1994...

Bootsy would've been more interesting.

"The Crunge" with BOOTSY! ??

Suncola and Christian Hill like this.
  7. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

It's entirely up to each consumer to decide what is or isn't 'Queen' :)

8. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Maybe they were slammed for the "funk" approach at the time, but at least musically it's striking. The live version from "At The Bowl" too.

9. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Maybe.
    I do know one thing, JPJ stage outfit in the SRTS film would've made a lot more sense on Bootsy than it did on Jones.....

10. Freddie was more than the singer of Queen although he excelled in that role. He was also one of the best and most prolific songwriters and the exceptional showman of Queen.

11. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Actually he is an astrophysicist with a PhD. making him Dr. Brian May. He has done work with NASA in the United States From The BBC :

Queen star celebrates doctorate

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Brian May (left) handed over his thesis to Professor Paul Nandra
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    May on his PhD

Queen star Brian May has gained his doctorate in Astronomy - 36 years after starting his thesis.
    The rock guitarist, who abandoned his studies to pursue a career in music, was told of his success after taking a three-hour exam to discuss his work.

The 60-year-old, who handed in his 48,000-word tome earlier this month, said: "You can call me Dr May!"

The musician will be officially handed his PhD from London's Imperial College at the Royal Albert Hall next spring.

12. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

The way Deacon as a bass player not only held down the low end, but enriched so many different the songs with his melodic touch, was astounding. All that, and he could write a pop song to die for as well.

So is Queen really Queen without Deacon? As a creative unit, no way. But as a live act... maybe?

13. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

????

There isn't a problem and no one is preventing you from enjoying yourself.

You CHOSE to post.....................................................Yeeeeesh!!!

jon9091 likes this.
  14. I think John Deacon was the most under appreciated member of Queen, but this sort of goes with the territory of being the bassist. His bass playing wasn't fancy but was exquisitely fitted to the songs. Still the band could be called Queen without him. A band doesn't have to go away when a member quits.

BeatleJWOL and carlwm like this.
  15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

who does play bass in the "Queen sort of + other folk band"??

carlwm likes this.
  16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Well said.

BeatleJWOL, Sondek and longaway like this.
  17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They should just sign up his hologram for the tour... ;)

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I Want To Break Free remains a dog of a song imo, but his songs always have been remarkably solid, even if they didn’t tap into the hardrock vein.
    It was always perfectly suited to Freddie.

19. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Thinking about it, why is that single never included with bonus material for the debut? It’s from the same sessions.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Is Queen really Queen without John Deacon?

No.

21. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are a select few popular bands that left with their integrity in tact. If Freddie was still around they could very well get away with being Queen since bassists, no offense, could be easily replaced. Other bands like Motley Crue it's main member is a bassist player so that's a bit different. John was never a focal point in live concerts, which is also why I think he could easily be replaced but the band all played a vital role in many hit songs. I think John was responsible for some of the more catchy songs like Another Bites the Dust.

Purist would never think any member in Queen gone is still Queen, and I would have to agree.

carlwm likes this.
  22. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Ha, coincidental thread?
    I was just listening to my all time favorite John Deacon penned, Queen 'pure pop' nugget, yesterday...

Ludger, BeatleJWOL and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Indeed!

But would he have flourished without his bandmates? Maybe but I reckon his music would have been very different. He was an important cog in the machine but we could justifiably argue that for the other three members too. They all wrote and three out of the four sang.

Every now and then, the planets align and that is what happened with Queen, I reckon.

starduster and Lonecat like this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Good point!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.