Queen without John Deacon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

One thing I liked about the (admittedly flawed, nevertheless enjoyable) recent film- this idea that these four misfits were making music for other misfits.
    And all four of them became something greater than any single member, even Freddie.

2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's up to the remaining members. It's been Queen+ since Deacon left.

That's fine with me, being as May and Taylor haven't done anything of artistic merit as far as I'm concerned for a couple of decades now.

I love Queen. Queen+, not so much.

3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I post as a public service to the Steve Hoffman Forums. Mine are the hottest of takes.

Michael Rose likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I said before (many times - beginning to bore even myself!) that The Cosmos Rocks is a decent rock album - it's just not quite as good as Queen or Bad Company.

primejive and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm a huge Queen fan, but I don't even own a copy of The Cosmos Rocks. I've heard it on Spotify a few times though.

Mr Day and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

He had his fancy moments...

7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Maybe they don't have any gas in the tank to do that. Expectations would be really high for new material and if it didn't deliver it would sully their 'rock god' status. And they want to protect their names.
    They don't want to be know as the 2 guys who once wrote classic songs and now can't write those same great songs again.

sushimaster and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Well it wasn't without Freddie either, although if one guy is dead and the other is retired from music entirely anyways, I have no problem with the "Queen + ___" moniker personally

sushimaster, Chew and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I did go to a Queen+ AL gig back in 2012, but that was to see Brian and Roger. The highlight of the show was when they showed Freddie on screen and played along with him singing. It was nice they showed plenty of clips of John too.

I see the Queen+ AL collaboration in a similar way to how I see the movie... it's the Disneyfication of Queen. It mainly appeals to the casual fan. That said, their popularity is through the roof these days, what with the movie and their music everywhere. So, more power to 'em. But the Lambert collaboration isn't for me. His voice is too harsh and grating, and I find him to be cringeworthy.

PineappleJuice and Man at C&A like this.
  10. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

IF they were gonna replace Freddie, they should have recruited an unknown via a series of low profile auditions.

11. dmiller458

Two words are all it took: American Idol. Whether it was Lambert, Daughtry, Underwood, Barrino; I'm not even going to bother giving them a chance. It ain't fair, but that doesn't matter. Idol is the ultimate in manufactured pop. Even pop stars should have to pay their dues the old fashioned way.

Man at C&A and Rhett like this.
  12. HotelYorba101

Adam put in a lot of time and effort and work as a musician long before American Idol if you do a quick read on his history - he payed his dues if we are really set on that being something that matters. American Idol was his "major label A&R exec" so to speak

BeatleJWOL and Judge Judy like this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

He's tacky as hell.

[​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

Frank Sinatra didn't. He won a vocal talent show on radio....and that got him off and running. No dues!

It's what you do (or don't do) with your big break.

15. HotelYorba101

I don't mind that outfit personally, at least he isn't wearing hot pants like Axl Rose circa 1992

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I don’t care if John Deacon ever plays bass with whatever iteration of Queen is going. For my money, though, it’s not the same without him, but with no Freddie it wouldn’t matter that much if he was out there or not.

sushimaster and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

At least Axl's authentic and had a decent voice for rock music. Lambert just comes across as an American Idol runner-up to me, which is what he was.

Man at C&A and Rhett like this.
  18. HotelYorba101

Well personally considering how closely May and Taylor worked with one of the greatest vocalists/artists of all time with Freddie - I trust their judgement when it comes to who they pick! I dig Adam and to me I hear authenticity - a dude who loves Queen music getting to perform Queen music with the dudes from Queen. Badass

primejive, BeatleJWOL and Judge Judy like this.
  19. zen

zen Senior Member

By the way, May and Taylor performed on American Idol. They could have said, "no F'n way!" to their invitation. It seems like they made thew right (business) move.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. HotelYorba101

Even Slash in an interview said he went on American Idol and played guitar with the contestants that episode specifically so he could get a shot with meeting and collaborating with Adam Lambert, this was around the time Scott Weiland left Velvet Revolver.

sushimaster and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  21. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don't trust May and Taylor's judgment, at least artistically. I mean, Queen+ Wyclef Jean, Queen+Five, Brain's collaboration with Dappy, Queen+ Adam Lambert. That Pepsi commercial with Pink and Beyonce. Queen+ The Cosmos Rocks.

They've done nothing of artistic merit in the last two decades.

Binni, pantofis, sushimaster and 8 others like this.
  22. HotelYorba101

Nothing of worth - to you though! I dug The Cosmos Rocks, and the other collaborations even if some of them I have no interest in, I don't think they did anything wrong so to speak. I am not even a hardcore Adam Lambert fan or anything but I think this tour sounds like a ton of fun, I am gonna try and hit the show at The Forum

BeatleJWOL and OberonOz like this.
  23. dmiller458

IMO Sinatra paid his dues during his time with Harry James and Tommy Dorsey.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I meant not under the Queen banner and something different, either instrumental or whatever. A hobby project kinda thing. They wouldn’t be the only one doing it. See Chickenfoot, Mudcrutch or Tin Machine for examples.

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

That drumskin is absolutely awesome! :cool:

primejive, ted209, 905 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.