Queen without John Deacon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Well, of course, nothing of worth to me. But I think a lot of people feel the same from what I've seen, especially Queen fans.

gotblues and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It is.

It's a good photo... if you cover up the left-hand side.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Don't you see it....Queen+ is Harry James and Tommy Dorsey (to the kids). :laugh:

dmiller458 likes this.
  4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

People got used to it, Queen being fronted by different guys. But it’s still no Queen to me.
    Queen is Freddie Mercury - vocals, Brian May - guitar, John Deacon -bass, Roger Taylor - drums.

gotblues, GodShifter and Steve M. like this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You missed Greatest Hits III.

pantofis and Man at C&A like this.
  6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The average pop and rock fans have no idea who they were; no more so than they'd know Memphis Willie Johnson or Hank Garland.

7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Why? What's wrong with a Queen singer wearing hot pants?
    Freddie made hot pants almost a Queen trademark in the 70s.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I did think of that. It's such a weird album as it has Queen, Queen+, and solo material on it.

Because of the Queen stuff and the solo stuff, I didn't include it.

gotblues likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I agree.

Queen (May & Taylor) have every right to tour and record to their heart’s content, but I don’t give a fig. As I said, Deacon wouldn’t matter that much to me either way in terms of authenticity.

10. zen

zen Senior Member

Of course. That was just between us and the other old people here. :winkgrin:

dmiller458 likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

As a Queen fan, it might not be for you but I've always thought that, if we didn't know the individuals involved, it might have a more positive reputation.

It doesn't sound anything like Queen or Bad Company and it's slightly generic but it's a decent listen, for all that.

starduster and mikedifr0923 like this.
  12. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Yes. If the 3 living members are ok with it being Queen, it’s Queen. What’s the difference what it is called?

13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s a complete mess and too reliant on post-Freddie sentiments. Besides, even the collected solo hits isn’t complete. Love Kills should’ve been included and the Larry Lurex single and perhaps selected Taylor songs (besides the missing Queen hits), but the compilers, whoever they were, probably were pre-occupied trying to figure out which Tribute performance should be squeezed in...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    gotblues, BeatleJWOL and Man at C&A like this.
  14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

They are little more than a Queen cover band without Mercury and a Deacon. If you are a purest.

15. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Yeah, that line resonated with me too.

gotblues likes this.
  16. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

Thank you for this! :righton:
    I wasn't aware!

Saint Johnny likes this.
  17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

May and Taylor have been going under the banner of Queen+ since Deacon left.

mikedifr0923 and longaway like this.
  18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I'd love to read a revealing, honest and respectful book from Deacon. There is certainly an air of mystery around about the man.

gotblues, Ludger, puelche and 5 others like this.
  19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It makes a difference because it goes to the nature of a band rather than of a group. Is a band a musical ensemble made up of specific individuals? Or are band members completely interchangeable like athletes on a sports team?

We have doo wop groups out touring the oldies circuit when all of the original members have died. If Mercury and Deacon can be replaced, why can't May and Taylor?

Queen was rock band. Queen+ is a corporate logo and applause machine. Calling it Queen or Queen+ is an insult to the fans.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Yeah, Queen+...

Like something is being added rather than detracted...

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

...and as long as they continue to call it "Queen+" then I'm OK with it. Sure I don't love it, and if anything it would be more honest to call it "Smile+" (but there's no money in calling it that, is there?) but if they were to start calling it "Queen" without any qualifier, that would definitely be more than a little gross IMO.

I miss him more for the songwriting than the bass playing (nothing against his bass playing) and its a shame he's retired. Yeah its also a shame that Freddie is dead, but there's nothing to be done for that. Freddie's songwriting talent died with him robbing us of whatever future gems he might have given us had he lived. However Deacon is still with us, wasting his songwriting talent.

Was he their best writer? Well I don't know about that, but he was definitely their most consistent writer. Off the top of my head I can't think of a bad song he wrote for the band. Definitely can't say that for any other member. Yeah he didn't write nearly as many as the other three did, but he also didn't write any crap/filler like they (sometimes) did.

For consistency of high quality songwriting I'd rate them as:
    1 - Deacon
    2 - Mercury
    3 - May
    4 - Taylor

Its too bad that (unlike Mercury) Deacon has freely chosen to give up songwriting (and to a lesser extent bass playing).

22. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

It is to fans of the original band that are still invested in the band's legacy. Fans of Queen+ aren't insulted at all and are happy to pay the ridiculously inflated ticket prices for karaoke. All played by a guitarist and drummer that released a single (C-lebrity) under the Queen+ name that openly despised the nature of reality TV music stars.......

gotblues and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

After that tribute concert for Freddie, a bunch of us speculated they might do a Joy Division/New Order maneuver by getting a new singer, changing their name, and carrying on with new material while doing a few Queen songs at every gig. They were still relatively young when Freddie passed and potentially could have forged a new direction.

Seems we were wrong.

A lot of legacy acts are doing much the same thing- carrying on with depleted membership. Dead & Co, Skynrd, Monkees, etc. The Market (i.e. Us) decides whether it is viable or not.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  24. mikedifr0923

No it’s an insult to you for some unknown reason. Your opinion is not a fact.

Queen, like any group or band, is a brand. That brand is owned by someone. And that someone has a say in how it’s used. Not you. Sorry.

2/3 of the surviving members are there. They can do with it as they choose. As “fans” we choose to listen or not to listen. We don’t get to choose what they call themselves or determine its impact on everyone in the world.

25. mikedifr0923

I would love to hear everyone on here that calls this karaoke sing even 1/10 as good as Adam Lambert can

Judge Judy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.