Queen without John Deacon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

True. But people are crying about that too

Why people take this **** so personally is baffling

2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Have you heard Roger or Brian's post-Queen solo work and The Cosmos Rocks? They have nothing left to give.

3. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

It would be the ONLY rock bio I'd purchase now after the massive disappointments of Daltrey and Townshend, but there is no way on EARTH that either QPL, Beech, May and Taylor (or any combination of those you can come up with) would allow any of the good stuff to be published without MASSIVE censorship to the manuscript.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

No I have not. But I will take your word on it.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't either and never will.

Also, I forgot about Brian May and Dappy. An all time low.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I think thats a bit harsh.
    They may not have anything left to give in creating progressive popular music, or by working with each other.
    But I think May could do something else of quality if he put his mind to it, and wanted to put the effort into it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. NightGoatToCairo

What do you have in mind?

8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

It's nothing to do with whether he can sing or not.

He is a rubbish fit (camp for camp's sake as opposed to Freddie who dressed it and managed it perfectly without being overt) for Queen material under a brand name that openly despised reality TV music *stars* and then, hypocritically, went and employed one.

gotblues, Maidenpriest and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

He's tried a proper project with Kerry Ellis and look what that churned out.....:drool:

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Because it's credited as solo recordings. Both tracks are on Freddie's Lover Of Life, Singer Of Songs compilation.

That could be the original drumskin from the News Of The World tour in 1977. Wish that one was in colour though.^^

starduster and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. NightGoatToCairo

Not something I've heard. Just a look at the album cover for Golden Years [or whatever it is called] was enough for me :D

12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

IF they're a brand and nothing more, then I agree with you 100%. But IMO Queen was more than just a corporate logo and an applause machine.

Sondek and Man at C&A like this.
  13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Corrected. ;)
    If Greatest Hits III was possible...
    But I get your point.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Astrophysicist.
    He was involved with the New Horizons Pluto fly-by, wrote a few books, co-founded Asteroid Day and formed a group to promote animal welfare, mostly with regard to badgers and fox hunting.

gotblues likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

We saw Brian and Roger with Adam Lambert a few months ago and it was an excellent show. Songwriting aside, John didn’t have much stage presence so his absence was unnoticeable and the bass player replicated his parts well. Adam does camp it up a lot more than Freddie ever did, but it’s 2018 and people are much more accepting now.

I’m glad John was able to retire and spend the last 30 years in peace, enjoying his life. Wish I could do the same.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Just spitballing....

Easy to re-shape the show.

Do an evening with Brian May, structure a 90 min set, early days/acoustic set/late&big hits to end the set.
    Bring on Martel, female vocalist, Brian could sing a bit/storytell during the acoustic portion.

I doubt he'd want to go super hard rock, but he's always talked about an album with Tony Iommi.
    I imagine there would be interest if those guys played a few live dates.

But original music? At this late time, I wouldnt mind hearing him try an acoustic band thing, some talented voices to sing solo and harmonize.
    Maybe the big rock guitar in the background for a song or two, and an instrumental.....haha.

17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

John was the group’s foundation and accountant.

18. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

John is the most easily replaced.
    No it's not Queen, but as long as Brian and Roger continue with the 'Queen +' thing i suppose i'm just about ok with it.
    I have no problem with them playing the songs they wrote and performed when Queen were Queen.
    I'm sure it's nothing to do with money, they simply love playing the songs and the feeling of being onstage.

I saw Brian May in concert just after his last solo album was out and it was a good show but i was disappointed there was so much Queen material. I wanted more from his two solo lps, however i expect he always feels people are there more for the songs of Queen than for his solo stuff?

19. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

First off, American Idol is a competition show.....let’s not pretend it’s the Kardashians.

Second, soooo no one is allowed to change their mind in life?

He found a singer he wanted to work with. Good for him. Why does it matter so much to you? Because you don’t like it the rest of the world must follow your opinion?

Judge Judy, starduster and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Just incredibly hypocritical that a band can release a single that decries the phenomenon so vitriolically, who then go and hire someone created through that medium as front man.

Where have I said that no one else must like it? I just disagree with you and anyone else that sees any merit / value in what they are doing to *Queen's* legacy. I'm really happy for you that you're so easily pleased.

gotblues and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

John Deacon was right to hang his boots up at that moment. Biggest respect to him.

22. NightGoatToCairo

:righton:

:tsk:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I thought Roger's first lp was good actually, still have it and play it now and then. There are 3 or 4 extremely good songs scattered amongst his other releases too, imo.
    Brian's two lps contained a few very good songs as well, imo. Brian is the more talented songwriter. I think Roger often has trouble with lyrics, some of his are cringeworthy to say the least, talking more about his solo stuff.
    Cosmos Rocks is awful. [I'd rather have to listen to Hot Space!]

I get sick of people mentioning money when it comes to established older rock stars. It's as if they should all be content that they have become wealthy because of all their hard work, and that's it! I'm certain that most old rockers who are millionaires and continue to get nice royalty checks each year, do things in their lives for reasons other than to earn even more money. I can't imagine Brian or Roger getting together and talking about how they can squeeze more money out of the fans by releasing more and more Queen music from the past and present.

I've always had the impression that John may of had a breakdown when Freddie died and that it sent him over the 'edge' so to speak, never to return.

Michael Rose and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Make that without Deacon & Mercury... I'm passing on Lamberts Queen tour.

gotblues likes this.
  25. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

There is certainly no Queen without Freddie or John. John wrote their first number 1 along with many other really good songs. (You're My Best Friend being one of them)

The current incarnation should actually be called Smile -.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.