Queen without John Deacon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan MacIntosh, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's not hypocritical. The song is aimed at those with no talent. "I can't sing or dance at all".

I can't stand Lambert's voice, but I won't say he's untalented - he can sing.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No he didn't write their first number one, there's a certain little song called 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.

Agree that John wrote some fantastic material including a few classics.

starduster, carlwm and Sondek like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

About to post the very same thing!

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

About to post the very same thing!

God bless our colonial cousins! :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Qu
    He didn't even write their first US number one, that would be Crazy little thing called love

6. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Has nothing to do with being easily pleased. It has to do with the fact that unlike some I don’t feel like I have the right to **** on what Brian May and Roger Taylor decide to do with THEIR MUSIC AND THEIR LEGACY. This is their life and their job, to play music. The music of Queen is THEIRS. They had enough respect to call it Queen+.....it seems a bit narcissistic to take it so personally and **** on people who have apparently given you a lot of joy at some point in your life.....when you could just.....not listen :shrug:

Judge Judy, starduster and KAJ1971 like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Good point! :righton:

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  8. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Not narcissistic at all. I just find it utterly implausible that Pop Idol, a public anathema to players of the quality of MayLor, can now be their trade mark of quality. Strikes me that, if you are to be believed, then they should ONLY be touring songs written by May & Taylor.......... John doing anything for a quiet life and Freddie only having Good Old Fashioned Beechy Boy to pump the fist aside?

9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Seriously, John who?

10. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Actually Queen's first #1 in America was Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So what? What's America got to do with anything? ​

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    KAJ1971, carlwm and Sondek like this.
  12. He's the guy playing Pin Ball wearing a CT shirt

Chemically altered likes this.
  13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I find it a little odd that anyone into rock music wouldn't know that name. Also, isn't the title of the thread a hint?

Google search the name and you'll find plenty of info.

gotblues and zen like this.
  14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Man at C&A is right. He's talking about their first number one. You're talking about America, but there's a whole world out there.

Bohemian Rhapsody topped the charts in a number of countries back in the mid-70s, including the UK for 9 weeks. Crazy Little Thing Called Love came out four years later.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I should have clarified that I meant America since that was my perspective. I bought the The Game lp at the time it was released and remembered that Another One Bites the Dust hit number one. However, Crazy Little Thing Called Love hit #1 first then Another One Bites the Dust.

Having the Bohemian Rhapsody 45 when it was released it was odd that it didn't hit #1 in the USA. Not even We Are the Champions did either.

But that is all aside to the point of the importance (IMHO) of John Deacon in the band. The point was that he was a good bass player and a really good songwriter.

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Considering how famous and popular many of Queen's singles are, it's surprising how few number one singles they had in the UK and US. But the majority of Queen's singles didn't offer anything that wasn't on the albums, so that could be one of the reasons.

17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Ok, I just did. Make that a rhetorical question then.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  18. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

Yes. Once in a rare blue moon someone comes along in life who is in fact irreplaceable, and Mercury dwells in that small universe. Beyond that, Queen operated so well together live, these four disparate individuals - there's never a moment onstage when they are not fully aware of each other and what each one is doing, even during the impromptus and Freddie's occasional runaway spontaneous moments. As to the O.P., bassists are so often "the quiet one", or thought to be easily interchangeable, that it may be too easy to miss that John Deacon was as an integral part as anyone else, even though he didn't sing. Freddie himself staunchly maintained that they were four quarters of a whole, all "needing each other" musically, which to my mind answers the O.P. question.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  19. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

20. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

Yeah, but Freddie had a body you could look at all day long. (Said by a straight female type person not that it matters anyway. Facts is facts. :). )

21. gotblues

gotblues Forum Resident

I thought I was the only one on Earth with similar thoughts. May's acoustic playing is, to my ear, transportively lovely. I would pay to see something like this suggestion, whereas I would not to see the current iteration of things, a situation I find disheartening at best.

Efus likes this.
  22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

How true but keeping people interested and aware of this awesome band isn’t such a bad thing. Just keep Paul Rogers far away unless they are doong Free and Bad Co tunes. Why deprive the kids today of witnessing a bit of what it was like to see a rock band?

gotblues and Efus like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sorry, adam lambert is selling burgers if american kareoke isn't on TV.

queen is no longer what it WAS like to be a rock band, not a lot of those around anymore, and i feel bad for the kids who will never really know the joys of what we grew up with.

24. I am ashamed to admit that I am one of those easily pleased people. If I hear a song that sounds good to me I will listen to it. To me this is much more fun than examining the entire discography to make sure there are no ideological inconsistencies anywhere that would mar my enjoyment. :nyah:

Efus likes this.
  25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Queen+ is the banner that Brian May and Roger Taylor have been going under for years, with whoever is filling in on bass and as a singer.

Queen was Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, John Deacon. That will always remain the same.

Younger people can watch Queen footage and enjoy their records, just like the rest of us did (or those who didn't go to any Queen concerts). Queen and Freddie Mercury gets a lot of love on YouTube and social media from younger generations.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    gotblues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.