Queen's "A Night at the Opera". The XXXth Anniversary release has a tough challenge*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I'm interested in the CD only, for playing in the car, and other CD players, the DVD Audio is just that: "crazy good"

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Does anyone here knows for sure if the 30th anniversary includes DVD Video disc or it is purely audio? If it does include video, I don't want to order the UK-import because they use PAL over there.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's confusing because it was mixed by Elliot Scheiner and produced by RTB, whatever that means! We need someone to play the new one and see if it's the same!

4. The DVD includes video content. FWIW

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

"5.1 audio confirmed to stereo by Scott Elson"? What does "confirmed" mean?

Craig(VC).

6. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Probably should be "converted"

7. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Yup, this just looks like more of the same (or less depending on how you look at it) to milk more money from the consumer.

8. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Another fan of the DVD-A here. I use Bohemian Rhapsody as a multichannel demo track for my system. I guess Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me too. Mama mia!!

9. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Not being interested in CD's at all, I only care if the 5.1 mix has been improved. Considering that ES did a bang up job on the DVD-A and this is not DVD-A and potentially has been done by someone else, I will definately pass it. No brainer.

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'm still not sure from reading these posts......is the DTS mix XXX Anniversary edition compatible with the DVD Audio player in my car, or is only for DVD Video?

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It also says 5.1 mixes by Elliot Scheiner except God Save The Queen done by Kris Fredriksson.

12. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

It's DVD-V. A step down.

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Thanks for saving me the $20-25, since 95% of my listening is done in the car.

14. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

No problem. Unless you want a newer "improved' (possibly) CD, the best way to go here for a DVD-A player in the car is to get the original DVD-A released by DTS.

15. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Scheiner is the king of 5.1. May should have deferred to him on the surround mix. I have never been disappointed by one of Scheiner's surround mixes for DVD or DVD-A. :righton:

16. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Same here. He is the best.

17. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

On my system, the new 5.1 beats the DVD-A version. I find much more clarity in the mix (how this album should always have sounded, IMO) and the new God Save The Queen offers much more detail. The 2 channel mix on the cd also beats the regular Hollywood and MFSL versions hands down. I don't have the DCC but the 2 channel is better on this new release than on the DVD-A as well. While DTS is a step down from DVD-A, the mastering is great here and they truly made this the definitive version for me. I can't see this one possibly getting better.

The videos, while not essential offer great unseen pics and some of the visuals are quite moving. The commentary track is fun for some of its behind-the-scenes info.

I give this version a firm A.
    Worth the price.

18. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I won't be able to do that for 2 or 3 weeks... one of my surrounds shorted out and smoke came out of my receiver... :shake:

19. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Scheiner is great, no doubt about that, but you will never get me to agree that Brian May should defer to him, or anyone else outside Queen for that matter, on how Queen music should sound. Cant imagine anyone else caring more about it, or knowing more about how he wants it to sound than Brian. After all, he created the music in the first place. And while I know being a great guitar player doesnt make you a brilliant engineer etc., I do know that Brian is intimately involved with all areas of Queen's sound, and is renowned for being a perfectionist. Interesting to see with this new release if Brian finally got what he wanted, or more of it.
    Cheers

Steve

20. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Just one question. do you like discrete 5.1 sound?

21. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Thanks 24KaratSound for the info.

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Mystery solved, again, by Encyclopedia Jamie! thanks. So it's the same as the DVD-A no doubt.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It looks like I will have to get this one, too. It will probably be my sixth version. :sigh:

:)

24. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I do, but I don't like subwoofers (don't need 'em with 22" woofers in my mains) and I don't like too much discrete center channel (I prefer quad from the 70's actually, to 5.1).

25. Pete_M

Pete_M Member

Agreed.

I ordered my copy for some 15€ (cheap if you ask me) and hope to hear some improvements in the 5.1 mix compared to the DVD-A. Now, I don't know why Scheiner is so hyped. I've heard ANATO and Hotel California mixed by him and I haven't been that impressed, compared to what Greg Penny did with Elton John albums for example. Infact for me Penny made the HC multi-channel mix seem awfully dated already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.