Queen's "A Night at the Opera". The XXXth Anniversary release has a tough challenge*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Nov 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Anybody hear the vinyl yet? I am assuming it was mastered by Miles Showell (IIRC, he and Ricker are the only people doing half speed mastering at the moment), but can find no info about him in a forum search.

Cody

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

How can a DVD prohibit video circuits being turned off? I pressed the "Audio Only" button on my Technics DVD-Audio player and the picture promptly disappeared while playing the 24b/48k material.

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I wish I knew! When I press the audio-only button on my Yamaha during this Queen DVD, all I get is a little "prohibited" icon (red circle w/ line through it) on the screen as the video continues to display.

Craig(VC).

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That is odd. The "video off" circuit in my Sony ES work fine with this Queen DVD.

5. Audiophilehi

Audiophilehi Forum Resident

Hi all,

Just to throw a monkey wrench into this thread. :angel: Has anyone compared all or any of the above to the original UK LP?

Paul

6. bigdogpress

bigdogpress Forum Resident

Yes, i spent the $30.00 after hearing the new remaster and all i can tell you is i've not been able to listen to more than the first 2 1/2 songs before lifting the tonearm- i do have a uk reissue that sounds about this bad- too bad i was hoping the new vinyl would smoke the others i've heard- let's hope i get a copy of the dcc vinyl under the tree!
    michael

7. bigdogpress

Yes, i spent the $30.00 after hearing the new remaster cd and all i can tell you is i've not been able to listen to more than the first 2 1/2 songs before lifting the tonearm- i do have a uk reissue that sounds about this bad- too bad i was hoping the new vinyl would smoke the others i've heard- let's hope i get a copy of the dcc vinyl under the tree!
    michael

8. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Looks like I'll stick with my Japanese pressing. If nothing else, the vinyl is dead quiet, and it is what I'm used to as it was the first pressing I owned.

Cody

9. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

The stereo LPCM sound track on DTS released DVD-A is 96/24 though. Just checked it.

10. I saw this at Virgin Mega Store today, but it is a vinyl lp package and states that it's 1/2 speed mastered. It comes in an unusual envolope type of package. If I was still into vinyl, I would seriously consider it. Nice collector appeal.

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

According to post #182, it's not very good to listen to.

12. Well at $35 I wasn't willing to risk it even for collector appeal.

13. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Hey, I don't consider myself a collector, and I'd get it, even if I don't have a turntable! :D

14. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Tough Challenge?

Sound&Vision Feb./March 2006
    Queen's two-disc A Night At The Opera 30th
    Indeed includes a third stab at a multichannel version, Brian May says "some improvements" were made to the last mix (which was done by Baker, May, and Elliot Scheiner); a Hollywood Records rep told ICE that Kris Fredriksson "tweaked throughout." But I was hard-pressed to notice anything other than at times, less dramatic bass-and-drum support in the center channel. And any multichannel Opera will remain merely good until the choral vocals surround you, instead of being relegated mostly to the rear.
    The other disc here does provide the best-yet remastering of the stereo album on CD.
    But the DVD's extras are underwhelming, with rarely song-specific commentary by May and Roger Taylor (plus tapes of Freddie Mercury and John Deacon) and 10 "new videos" that are just awkward edits of old footage and photos. And a "restored" version of the real "Bohemian Rhapsody" clip is more shimmery than the one on DTS's DVD-Audio disc. It's also the wrong cut. (Check out the dumb flames!)-Ken Richardson

15. bigdogpress

good news. a very nice hi-fi dealer gave me his copy of the dcc vinyl after hearing my copy of the new pressing! guess he felt bad for me blowing the cash....
    i've never heard a better version. steve really is the master!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.