Queen's Gambit on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The book ends exactly the same, but the inner dialogue emphasizes her plans for upcoming matches. There is no hint of defection. The movie does a nice job of connecting the old men to Mr. Scheibl.

The seventh episode truncated the extensive training Beth did with Jolene (who was trained in physical education herself). This included months of diet and exercise, a passage about pouring out all the alcohol in the house and tossing out all the TV dinners in the fridge, in addition to bearing down on her chess study.

In the book Beth realizes one of the Russian masters she bests is just "a tired old man in a wrinkled suit" while she "had been training with Jolene for months" [sic -- I'm going by memory]. She's healthy for the first time.

My guess is the creators decided such a training montage would have been too much of a sports movie cliche.

If there's a second series -- which I doubt -- it would have to be written from whole cloth, as the seven hours covered the novel as thoroughly and faithfully as any adaptation could.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Chris DeVoe, ymizike, Dok and 3 others like this.
  2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I certainly don't want a second series, I only mentioned the 'open' ending as I hadn't seen it mentioned before in this thread

Not having read the book your knowledge would have spoiled the end for me:shrug:, I did like the idea that everything returns to the begging.

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Although the Richard Price script for the COLOR OF MONEY movie has almost nothing to do with the COLOR OF MONEY novel written by Walter Tevis.

Tevis is one of my favorite writers, but Price's script is a far better story than Tevis's novel, which essentially repeats the story of THE HUSTLER. Price creates the character Vincent, played by Tom Cruise, and then uses him as a foil to Paul Newman's Fast Eddie, for a road trip that doesnt happen in the novel.

What makes the movie work so well is that Eddie's corruption of Vince, a tired apprentice story trope, actually redeems Eddie, who had become a successful, soulless money grubber. That twist was unique and special.

The ending of the COLOR OF MONEY movie, with Eddie announcing "I'm back!" over a post-tournament game, is very similar to Beth Harmon saying "Let's play" over the old man's chess board.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wouldn't it have been cool if they'd shown the training montage, and if she'd moved to Philadelphia during that period, and if Jolene had had her running up and down the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art as part of her training? Oh, and if Dolly Parton had made a cameo appearance walking by Jolene.

Little things like that would definitely have moved this into stellar air.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And maybe Stallone as a former heavyweight champion of the world now obsessed with hustling chess games at five bucks a game.

kwadguy likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We literally just watched the final episode early this morning, so I appreciate your added insight on what was omitted from the book. I honestly did wonder if Beth was thinking about defecting, given the massive adulation she was getting in Moscow, while getting nothing but bullspit from the U.S. government.

I was expecting a very downbeat ending, but I was surprised by where the story went and (without giving anything away) by the reappearance of some previous characters.

Dan C, willy, Pastafarian and 2 others like this.
  7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

It seemed to me that Chess was another addiction and that she may have found a way back to a simple enjoyment of the game.

I remember at one point she'd said that chess isn't always a competition but played for enjoyment, so finding that oasis of love, on the streets, could be her salvation.

8. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

After Godless in 2017 another great limited run series by Scott Frank!

Veronica Mars likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I liked that her friend from the orphanage asked her point blank, "what's your end game after you win the game and become world champion?" And that's a great question that kind of stumps her. It does get to the heart of her life (and anybody's life), which is what is the point?

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've been enjoying it. The score by Carlos Rafael Rivera is gorgeous.

I don't often notice these things, but that huge two-level set (with the central opening - don't know the architectural term) was used both for the Mexican tournament and the earlier US tournament, wasn't it?

trumpet sounds, Solaris and Dan C like this.
  11. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

Such a poor review. The paragraph beginning with "Based on the acclaimed novel" gets a basic plot synopsis point simply incorrect, which makes me wonder if the reviewer skipped multiple scenes? I'm all for differing opinions, but at least pay attention before publishing a review.

12. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I think it's more prevalent than we imagine. I found the subplot interesting and valuable.

Glenn Gould had a brilliant career all while being an obsessive control freak and prescription pill addict. He would keep a journal of the medications and their impact so he could time their use. Still brilliant. Of course he died at 50 so there is that. What I thought the subplot showed is the desire of artists to superstitiously lean on a crutch.

I thought the depiction of it was puritanical (drugs are bad kids) and trite in it's too easy wrap up but compelling.

phillyal1 likes this.
  13. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

That's what I thought too, I know the point you mean. Lazy reviewer.

subzro likes this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Fair point.

I would agree that drugs are in fact bad, but, yes, her ability to just magically kick her habit one day was a bit Afterschool Special.

15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Not to take the thread off the rails but yes, you are right -Afterschool special is accurate. It would have been just a little good if we saw some physical impact - hands tremble during play or her staying up all night - I presumed the drug was a barbituate. Instead she looks nice and shiny. I'm ok with my superheroes being a bit worn out by their choices and actions. We saw it in the beginning episodes when she was a young girl and teen. I wonder why they made the choice not to continue with that arc.

I liked this show a lot up to the 6th and 7th episode. What interesting characters! The 7th episode was well told but standard fair at every point. It was great to go along for awhile.

Solaris likes this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

We just finished the last two episodes today. I’m actually sad it’s over, I didn’t want it to end.

I didn’t expect to be moved to tears at one point, won’t give it away. It was a slow steady emotional burn until the release. That slow, basically series-long reveal was so expertly crafted imho.

The bar this series has set is another new high for television drama, from story, acting and production. An amazing thing.
    dan c

Mark B., Gary7704, jlocke08 and 5 others like this.
  17. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I was completely wrong about the sets! I found a site that shows all the locations. The two tournaments were filmed at two different buildings in Germany. Here's the site:

Locations

crispi and Dan C like this.
  18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I think by that point (for me at least) it was pretty clear what was going to happen, but it's the little things that gave me chills. Interactions between characters and the momentum of the whole thing are what I found satisfying about the final episode, not the actual conclusion of the plot proper. I agree that the resolution of the addiction thread is a bit rushed and superficial, and there's room for criticism of Jolene's character as only the slightest variation on the "magical negro" trope. The series isn't perfect, could have been deeper, etc., but (apologies to William Carlos Williams)

so much depends
    upon

the red head
    chess queen

filled with fire
    water

who wields the white
    bishops

that if you connect with Beth Harmon as given life by Anya Taylor-Joy, you'll walk away charmed.

crispi, carrick doone and Dan C like this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Two episodes in so far. Really digging it!

willy likes this.
  20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I can guess. I know where it was for me. That they were capable of showing and having the emotional impact of the passage of time on a TV show is this day and age was remarkable. I don't react easily.

willy, JohnO, Solaris and 1 other person like this.
  22. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Your next steps are Emma, The Miniaturist, and The Witch. She is magic, and your crush will only get stronger.

And she's easily the best part of The New Mutants. Not a great film but worth it for ATJ lovers.

23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

So I've got an idea for Season 2:

It will be the story of a detective who begins to piece together that a series of murders have all happened in cities where Beth Harmon played chess tournaments...

Dear Netflix, I'll keep my phone close, feel free to call anytime. :winkgrin:

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And her first victim was that bee-yatch from high school.

Solaris likes this.