Queen's Gambit on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hybrid_77, Oct 30, 2020.

1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

When the grinches from the NYT op-ed section, get involved, you know the fun is over.

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

My wife and I are enjoying this series immensely.

Of course the main protagonist's looks, charisma, and presence play into the whole entertainment value of the show. But then that's what this whole thing is entirely -- entertainment. It's not a biography, documentary, or news profile....

Acting-wise, I think Anya Taylor-Joy is excellent. I think she has brought such depth and nuance to the role. Beth Harmon is not a singular "black or white" character -- there is so much complexity there related to intelligence, upbringing, experience, and culture. Anya Taylor-Joy has done a superb job of conveying all this.

Solaris, Pastafarian, Dan C and 9 others like this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

There was some question about if she would've had access to Satie sheet music in Kentucky that early as he didn't become well known until the early 60s.

GRompre68 likes this.
  4. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

Isn't the early sixties the exact time period that portion of the series takes place ?

willy, Comet01 and George P like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Not a question I would ever consider, but then, my goal when watching TV is enjoyment.

Spencer R, Comet01 and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

So you'd be OK, say, with a spaceship appearing in a film about a fictional and historical Jesus-type character?

GodShifter likes this.
  7. You mean like in Life Of Brian?

polchik, pscreed, Solaris and 2 others like this.
  8. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Oh, I made that too easy!

Nobby and Solaris like this.
  9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

The entire world: "We love this show!"
    Handful of critics: "We hate it and OUR VOICES MUST BE HEARD!!!!"

It's great to read different takes or discussions on things like this and I appreciate a little cynicism now and then, but the minor backlash among some "critics" I've seen strikes me as simply petty and bitter.

dan c

10. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Man, I usually don't get that wrapped up emotionally in these fictional "limited series," but when Beth went back to the orphanage and sneaked down to basement and saw the late Shaibel's ad hoc shrine to her composed of newspaper clippings... yeah, I got choked up.

Yeah, I admit it, OK?! Ya don't have to rub my face in it!

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Is that really equivalent to Beth’s mother having access to Satie sheet music?

BEAThoven and Comet01 like this.
  12. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I guess on the Hoffman forum it is.

13. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

No, it isn’t... and imagine having nothing better to do than analyze the age appropriateness of minor props in a Netflix movie...

adm62, GodShifter and Comet01 like this.
  14. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

This is one of the best limited series shows I have ever watched.
    Great acting, great story, wonderful characters..ten out of ten...

15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've been savoring The Queen's Gambit as much as I can, but I'll be finishing it tonight. I love this show. I get some of the same warm nostalgic feel that I did while watching Mad Men, with the only real commonality between the shows being similar time frame and a lot of binge drinking. Great soundtrack too. And you just want to give Beth Harmon a hug, even at times if it seems human emotion is a little alien to her.

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Me either, in fact my wife read it at imdb and thought I might be interested as a music fan, just a curiosity...that's all.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Those pieces were composed in the 19th century!

Chris DeVoe, GodShifter and Comet01 like this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yes, but whoever made the observation noted that Satie was not exactly a household name in the US until the 1960s. One might imagine that it would be difficult to find sheet music for it in Kentucky before that...

willy likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maybe her traveling husband found it somewhere else.

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

He didn't strike me as a music lover...

Comet01 likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

2 episodes in, pretty interesting. We're taking our time and alternating it with Shawn the Sheep.

Have to stay out of here so I don't see spoilers

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, but he did strike me as a guy that would do almost anything to get his wife out of his hair. If the piano would do that, he'd find the music for her.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

So fictional characters in TV shows aren’t allowed to have historically possible niche interests?

BeatleJWOL and GodShifter like this.
  24. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I’m not sure why anyone would think it was difficult to find Satie’s music in a city that’s a state Capitol. Most likely easily ordered through a music store (that’s what they did back then) or through the very large state university located in that city.

Chris DeVoe and GodShifter like this.
  25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Satie’s music was out of favour for decades. There was a well-deserved resurgence beginning in the early ‘60s.

GodShifter likes this.