Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Yep. Counterfeit. I got it before the reissue was available, and before I knew it was a counterfeit.
    What I’m trying to say about comparing the reissue vinyl vs the original is that the reissue is a quality pressing IF you like the remastering style of the CDs put out in 2010, that’s all.

kannibal and Neonbeam like this.
  2. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Era was one of those albums that clicked after hearing the songs live (saw them around the release of this one). It has this kind of dark, heavy soul aspect that really translated live. Impressive and have loved the album ever since.

3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I saw them on that tour as well, but missed the 05 tour. I'm a massive LTP fan and at the time was looking forward to seeing that material performed. I'm also an Eleven /Natasha Shneider fan and regret not seeing that lineup live, though have video footage.

mikeburns likes this.
  4. danner

danner Forum Resident

I found Era Vulgaris kind of ugly and off-putting the first several times I listened to it. So many of the songs have dissonant, ugly verses that turn around into really melodic choruses. I've really grown to love it.

5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Great description. Even the 10" format was off-putting in a fun way. It will be interesting to enjoy this product in a more palatable package.

DrStroganoff likes this.
  6. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

I haven't heard the original, but I do love that reissue. It is a lot more listenable than the original CD, and the added tracks are great. Also, I was able to crank the volume on Give The Mule What He Wants to stupid levels on the D-7/New Large Advent speaker stacks without ear pain!

Crispy Rob and ODShowtime like this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just listening to Era Vulgaris now. Sounds pretty good, not bad.....but quite laid back and needs turning up a bit more. I do quite like the sound, but I feel less of an upgrade with this album over previous versions. Not sure if it’s the recording or the length of the sides...maybe a bit of both? However, I would imagine this is probably the best sounding version that has been released of this album as we only had the relatively poor 10 inch version vinyl before and the cd’s. I’d give it maybe a 7.5/10.

mikeburns and Neonbeam like this.
  8. danner

danner Forum Resident

Is the 10” Era Vulgaris generally considered to be lackluster sound-wise? I haven’t listened to my copy in so long that I don’t really remember much about it other than having to flip sides every two songs.

9. Vidar Nilsson

Vidar Nilsson Well-Known Member

The Era Vulgaris reissue sounds unreal. Like you are in the room with the band. Definite improvement over the 10 inch version, which sounded distant in comparison.

TheMovieRad, mikeburns and mcenters like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

There's no such thing as "the" 10" version of "Era" since there is the 2007 original and a 2018 reissue. Which is a bit mysterious given that the 12" reissue must already have been planned by then. Any. Way. The 2018 - which I have never heard - is supposed to be decent, the United presses original is hit and miss. My copy is OK. Still I might get this new reissue because the constant flipping of sides is a bit of a pain.

11. Vidar Nilsson

Vidar Nilsson Well-Known Member

Oops, my bad. I mean the 2007 version, which I have. The 2018 version sounds better, yes, but not really much better than the CD, if at all. The 2007 version doesn’t sound bad per se but comparing it to the new 12” is like comparing a jpeg to a tiff, or ratherly, a realaudio to a wav file.

Also, bungler666 on discogs is me.

DrStroganoff and Neonbeam like this.
  12. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow! :righton:

13. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

LTP sounds quite frankly orgasmic on my system. I think it’s one of the best sounding records I now own. Freakin’ amazing!

BDC and Rockin' Robby like this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Did you have the Music on Vinyl version? Just wondering how it compares?

mikeburns, ODShowtime and Krzych like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone compared the new LTP to the Music on Vinyl?

16. $78 AUD for songs for the deaf.
    Prices are outrageous!!!!!!

I won't be adding this to my collection, I'll stick with my $6 CD

blair207 and Neonbeam like this.
  17. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Something is wrong down under because i picked it up for 30 bucks Canadian which is pretty close to 30 AUD.

18. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I have seen it at jbhifi in New Zealand for around the 45 dollar mark... Something is up with the aus pricing if they are charging that much!

19. Rockin' Robby

Wow, Rated R sounds great! Really can't imagine it sounding better. Bernie Grundman in the deadwax, silent vinyl, pre-order price was great. Cranking it on the speaker stacks and it isn't tiring my ears.
    Excellent reissue, in my opinion. HIGHly recommended.

20. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Ok.
    Looks like its listed at 43 on Amazon.com.au, and 47 at Chalky's Oz.

mikeburns likes this.
  21. Rockin' Robby

Is "Rated R" the only one of the new releases cut by Bernie Grundman?

22. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Except Songs for the deaf. Rated R, Lullabies to Paralyze and Era Vulgaris have "BG" in the dead wax.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  23. Rockin' Robby

Appreciate this, thanks!

Has anybody achieved a European "Lullabies To Paralyze" yet? Does it have "BG" in the deadwax too?

24. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I was referring to the EU editions with my posting above. I own an EU copy of it.
    To be honest, I don't think it sounds exciting despite the BG in the dead wax. Too compressed and cut at a low volume.
    I don't own a Music on Vinyl pressing of Lullabies (yet). From my experiences MoV cuts are loud usually. MoV releases are also being marketed as audiophile.
    I have similar complaints with the Rated R cut by BG. I don't understand why a cut by a renowned engineer like BG cannot compete volume-wise with a cut by an engineer at a pressing plant (HL/Heino Leja at Optimal Media)?
    To my ears Eras Vulgaris sounded best of all the three BG cuts. Though I don't own the 10" inch edition and cannot compare.

Again: the 2003 Ipecac pressing of Songs for the Deaf was cut by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman's studio. That was a good, loud cut and sounds best of all three official releases to me. Deeper bass, better treble, wider soundstage.

Conclusion:
    Has UMG requested to cut these reissues at a low volume for the mainstream market with cheap turntables? Which is why these reissues are not marketed as being audiophile either? I just don't understand why BG and CB would not be able to achieve what has been achieved at the same studio by Brian Gardner before?
    Were they provided by UMG with different/compressed files than the ones available in 2003? Brian Gardner also mastered the album in 2002 for CD. Did he create different files for the vinyl cut in 2003?

Just my random thoughts about this topic...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    mikeburns likes this.
  25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Ha! The reverse of music "loudened" for CD - they make it quieter for wax so people with cheap turntables think it sounds good.