Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I can find most of the 2000 lps but CDs are a challenge nowadays and this was no different took 10 min to find!

2. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Ok, I listened to this again last night after listening to a digital copy. There were a few instances of mild distortion in the vocals that I thought were issues with the pressing, but they are present in the digital version so I think they’re an intentional artistic decision. That said, I think the 2xLP 45rpm deluxe edition sounds great. It’s big and punchy, good soundstage, and much more engaging than the digital. Don’t hesitate to pick this up if you can find a copy.

3. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Finally bought Songs for the Deaf - very pleased! I sold the original Ipecac last year (rare good timing on my part) and, seemingly contrary to the feelings of others on that pressing, I always found it a bit on the dull side across various systems. I could see an argument for it sounding more analogue, but for me the rolled off top end lost some of the brashness and impact the music needed, particularly on tracks like '..Millionaire'. The CD has that of course but obviously doesn't have much in the way of dynamics.

Personally I think this pressing is a nice happy medium between the two and is definitely the best I've heard it sound. Pretty flawless pressing too.

4. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Does anyone have the self-titled 2011 reissue? What's the quality like? Worth getting?

5. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

It's really nicely done, much better than the original CD. Mastered by Brian Gardner at Bernie Grundman.

Vern likes this.
  6. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Could definitely be more dynamic, but I still strongly prefer it over the CD. Extra tracks are great, works very well as a double album.

Vern likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wonder if these reissues are cut from the original sources or any digital step involved? Maybe @Chris B can shed some light?

8. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I found some parts of songs for the deaf to sound a bit flat, specifics escape me as I've only had one run through it. I believe the first instance was the chorus of 'first it giveth' . The acoustic guitar part that follows sounded fantastic though.

It wasn't the only instance in the whole record like that, listening through, there were other parts that just sounded a bit off. It's important to note this though, I haven't cleaned the records yet, I just played it straight out of the packet so to speak. I'm familiar with the album and the overall sound of it (had the cd since it came out)

Would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this

9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

As I understand, both EU and US 2019 pressings of Rated are equally safe choices? Both from the same lacquer?

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yep, same with all of them....

punkmusick likes this.
  11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

My Rated had just arrived. Heard only side A so far. Sounds amazing.

12. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I got Rated R and Lullabies. Man, finally I can crank those great albums up and not feel like my head is gonna explode.
    I'm really happy with those reissues, gonna get the rest of them for sure

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  13. fcj1976

fcj1976 Well-Known Member

I snagged a copy of Rated R and songs for the deaf and I love them! :love:

14. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

Hi - I got this one.

As some who listened to the livin' piss out of the original CD—and freely admit this is the only way I've ever heard the album—the 2019 version absolutely, definitely, definitively DESTROYS the CD. Hearing things I ain't ever saw before on this one. The CB/PALLAS pedigree is obvious from the get go.The soundstage is WIDE, the low end is DEEP. And—most importantly—it ROCKS. If you're on here, doing your vinyl pressing research (ya big nerd): go ahead, grab this ****. You can't even hear it!

15. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

I got this recently too. Great version.

Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
  16. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Did you buy the deluxe 45 RPM edition pressed at Pallas or the 'regular' version that is still 45 RPM?

Which version did you get, the 'regular' or the deluxe edition pressed at Pallas?

17. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

regular

18. Dr. Metal MD

Awesome, thanks. I think you just saved me like $30. In the market for that album on vinyl and just wondering if I should spring for the 2-3x more expensive deluxe edition. Only care about sound and quality of the pressing, don't care about the added artwork (cool but not willing to spend more for it).

19. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

My statement was not a comparison against the special version, though - it might be better, but I haven't heard it.

20. Dr. Metal MD

The only differences that I can gather is that it was pressed at Pallas and is 180 gram instead of 150 gram, which shouldn't matter. Only thing that could matter is if the Pallas pressing is superior, same lacquer as standard.

21. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 33. I do have the 45 and it sounds amazing. It's reference quality, show off your system good.

ODShowtime and imail724 like this.
  22. Dr. Metal MD

Awesome! The issue I am having is that the non-deluxe edition is 45 RPM but not pressed at Pallas and is 150 gram. The deluxe edition, significantly more expensive, is also 45 RPM, pressed at Pallas, and comes with additional art. Don't know which one to get.

23. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Get the deluxe edition. It's really well done. The sleeve is a really hard stock, the art is cool and the pressings ( at least mine) are perfect. This album is so incredible, I think it's deserving of having the best possible version. Normally, I'm not that concerned with anything but a good sounding pressing but this one is something you could pass down through the generations.

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, the deluxe edition of Clockwork is kinda worth the extra money - it sticks out from my collection, in a good way.

scottp, ODShowtime and Neonbeam like this.
  25. Dr. Metal MD

Awesome, thanks for the tip! If I didn't get the deluxe, I know I'll likely always wish I had it.

aorecords likes this.