Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Reissued with new running order around 2010. But: The vinyl is already out of print and can command $50+.

Btw: The official vinyl reissue also had the CD artwork so it's not for the first time they are doing this.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think it was initially recorded on tape, then loaded into the digital domain where tracks were added.

These reissues come from Universal, they don't have the rights to any other albums than these four.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. PaulMcCartneysGhost

PaulMcCartneysGhost Forum Resident

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I can only imagine what cocktail they suggest for this album!

5. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i need era vulgaris as i sold the 10" version because it didn't fit on the shelf with the others.
    ive got a colour bootleg (i think) of songs for the deaf, so i need to pick that up too

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Like many, I joined VMP. The question is whether I should wait on the other titles to get limited colored vinyl versions of those as well.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

MOV pressing is missing three tracks that are included on the new reissue.

8. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

That’s correct. I used to have the purple/orange 2 LP set with the extra tracks.

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That MOV pressing kicks butt... The only negative was the stupid etched side. Now it really chaps my ass to hear there was music for that side. And now I'm probably gonna have to buy it again. Oh well I'm always buying something anyway.

10. funkyfoot

funkyfoot Member

I hope "Rater R" will be better than the current version (rated x). Always wanted it on vinyl, but the reviews are terrible.

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I have it, and it's fine. What do the reviews say about how it's terrible?

12. Neonbeam

The very first GZ pressed reissue version - around 2009 - sounded like it was mastered from a cheap cassette tape. Terrible! It depends on which version you are getting.

This is the bad one:

Queens Of The Stone Age - X

Efus likes this.
  13. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Apparently when GZ originally pressed it in 2009, someone else did the plates.
    In 2014, GZ re-pressed it using for them, their new DMM process.
    I have the 2014, and it sounds loud and clear to these ears, and I have no complaints.

Theres a link to the SHF conversation on this topic in the reviews on Discogs that Neon just linked up.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

you're actually being kind. imagine a cheap cassette played back through a mostly shorted-out boom box while submerged in water. maybe throw in some slight inebriation, too.

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

You know what? I was utterly shocked when I finally managed to get hold of an original. I couldn't believe this especially with a super popular title like that! A print of a sticker, no insert and sound straight from the garbage can. Something like that should never have made it past any self-respecting quality control.
    :hurl::hurlleft:
    The record company should have offered free exchanges for that title!

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Not sure which version I have, but since it sounds good and has an insert, I'm assuming it's the 2014 one.

17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I managed to sell mine for like $9.99 and was happy as hell to get it out of here!!!

The "good version" sounds really good though. I'm curious if this upcoming reissue can best it.

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. funkyfoot

funkyfoot Member

Okay, now i’ve got it clear. There are printing issues only on the first press, that probably means the new one will be good at least as the late pressing, leaving that shame behind. Hopefully.

19. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered SFTD and Rated R. Have to stop pre-ordering vinyl. Have loads on pre-order now:):help:

ODShowtime and funkyfoot like this.
  20. funkyfoot

funkyfoot Member

Same here. :D But my wishlist is infinitely long, I guess I’ll buy first all the records in my list that (IMHO) will be more expensive in the future. The “enjoyable” version of Rated X already sells for 40 euros circa here in Europe. I hope they are making lots of copies of this new reissue, or it’ll become expensive too! (Guess preorder is the safe way)

Eamon likes this.
  21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Finally, the last big hole is filled. The last important album that I did not have in phonographic format. SONGS FOR THE DEAF! I feel more complete, like more of a man now.

I'm gonna get RETARDED and blast this sucker!

Dmann201, Krzych and jgrillo like this.
  22. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

[​IMG]

23. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

What is "deaf" a bad word now?

Krzych likes this.
  24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

One thing I see is missing from Songs For the Deaf... There's no CB initials! There is the "!" we see sometimes.

VMP explicitly states: "Lacquers Cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering"

I've never seen him cut a record and not initial at least one side.

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

What is the sound quality like on songs for the deaf?