Queensryche - Promised Land (the overlooked album?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Valen2260, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

One of my all-time favourite albums.

You can tell there was conflict in the band at that time, but there is some raw emotion on PL that isn't always apparent on most of their other releases. However, it is also quite a strange listen. I think it's easy to listen to it and think it's a bit disorienting. But I think the more you listen to it, the more it all makes sense. It still feels fresh and new to this day.

And really, the production on it makes most metal albums of today sound amateurish at best, including the new QR. There are so many working layers to the production on PL, it's almost insanity. But it's blended together flawlessly. Some of the best production I've ever heard on a record.

I love it.

2. Locutus67

Locutus67 Forum Resident

I do love PL, but it's simply not as good as Empire.
    There are plenty of great songs, but what I didn't like at the time was the overall sound was a step down.
    Years later & I realized it's because PL suffered from early Loudness War-itis.
    It's pretty easy to hear the "make it a little louder" compression & it took away some of my enjoyment.

While the DCC of Empire is great, Promised Land would have benefited more & I wished SH could have done that one.

Anonamemouse and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

More like, the great tune on the album is all of them! :cool:

4. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Promised Land is an excellent album. I own it and I listen to it often. Rage for Order and Operation Mindcrime are the peak for Queensryche. Those albums are all time greats!

Any album made after Geoff Tate (the lead singer) left Queensryche is unfortunately and not worth the effort.

Matthew Tate and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  5. TheGreatSouthernBrainfart

TheGreatSouthernBrainfart Forum Resident

Promised Land is hands down my favorite QR album. It's so bold and it came out at a really crucial time in my life. I was just about to turn 21 and I was starting to see technology growing right before me and the world was changing. PL was the perfect soundtrack for a world that was changing right before my eyes. It holds up amazingly to this day. The only issue I have with it is that "Real World" should've been part of the original tracklisting. Aside from that it's a pretty ****ing perfect album.

Gus Tomato, cageyc, Northwind and 6 others like this.
  6. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

PL is where QR starts the slide to mediocrity. The EP & first 4 albums are brilliant, classic albums of hard rock.
    Then comes Promised Land, which has it's moments, but ultimately isn't as interesting or memorable... and that pattern holds with the QR albums that followed... both with Tate & with La Torre.

DiabloG and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. TheGreatSouthernBrainfart

TheGreatSouthernBrainfart Forum Resident

I think that's the only song ANYONE likes off of that album.

Murph likes this.
  8. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

American Soldier is a really good album.
    Q2K not so much.... although it's been a few years, so I probably need to give it another listen. I was averse to the Hear in the Now for years, but then listened again recently, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I recalled.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

I think some QR fans have some love for Sp00l...

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

right side of my mind is amazing

VH3FAN likes this.
  11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

AS was the last good QR album for me, it had at least had a few good tracks. I was majorly disappointed with the follow up DTC, and everything after.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

spOOL is a good song, and there are a few other good ones on Hear in the Now Frontier, but the drop-off in quality from Promised Land was pretty severe. And it would only get worse after that. :(

Yep, that is a really good tune, probably their best song post-Promised Land.

13. Ghost of Ziggy

HITNF isn’t a bad album, it’s just doesn’t feature any great songs.

ytserush and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

spool is as good as anything that came before it

ytserush and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  15. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I am in your camp. Promised Land remains a disappointment to me while I have always loved Hear in the Now Frontier. Time to give Promised Land another shot though!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The were great songs post-Promised Land, but I'm not sure I can fill a CD with them. That said, American Soldier was the last solid album for me. Haven't touched any thing after that figured that was a good as it was likely to get after what had after what had come after Q2K. Went cold turkey after American Solider.

17. Ghost of Ziggy

Totally agree. I like Todd and wanted him to do well, but I just can’t get into the newer albums at all.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Haven't heard them. Just not interested at this point in that or the Tate "band" albums.

19. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

I actually love that album and think it's MUCH better than Promised Land, American Soldier, Q2K, OM2, Tribe, Dedicated To Chaos, and Frequency Unknown....easily.
    I'd probably pick it as one of my top 5 albums of theirs if i were to rank it....maybe not, but somewhere in that area....always loved Hear in the Now Frontier....

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  20. MechanicalAnimal6

you're missing out on some great stuff by ignoring the Todd LaTorre era stuff

weekendtoy, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

Bit of a thread crap, inspired by current off topic post, but I would like to see a live release from 85-86 era called Road Rage For Order! :)

22. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Don't see it that way. My ideal version of Queensryche (and I suppose everyone has one) is of a band that grows and moves forward. In my opinion that doesn't happen anymore. Just not into the nostalgia aspect of it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. MechanicalAnimal6

okay....but the band IS moving forward and growing....
    Geoff Tate is the one living in the past and not moving forward, he can only do anniversary shows of albums now, while the band tours and plays stuff from the old days
    AND new stuff. If that's not growing and moving forward on the bands side of things, i don't know what to tell ya.

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't know...Condition Human is a pretty incredible album.

25. MechanicalAnimal6

exactly! really good album, and funny enough of the three Todd era albums, i like the other 2 more, but no matter what, all 3
    of these newer albums are really great!

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.