Queensryche/Queensrÿche - "The Verdict" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I thought C:H was completely lacking on the prog front, so this is nice to hear.

It is in the mail to me as we speak, and I should have it playing this weekend! (side by side with the new Dream Theater, which I'm not really all that excited about)

johnny q and Purple like this.
  2. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I think when I wrote "proggy" I was referring to it being a bit experimental and creative... different. Not diverse as Promised Land though, which is a strength here. (I left the Dream Theater train where Moore left - I think bands like Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Yes, thrash are my level of prog. Dream Theater is a bit too math rock).

Curveboy and stodgers like this.
  3. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

This album is really amazing. My early contender for album of the year.
    Not a dud on the album, it flows amazingly well, each song has a memorable melody and hook while still flowing like a real thought out full album from start to finish.

Portrait is also a perfect closing song for the album. It's an album for me that hit me right away as great but is intricate enough to grow over time as well.

Listened to it in full probably a dozen times since it came out

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am listening to Condition Human now and while I think it is great it feels more like a collection of songs where The Verdict feels like an album if that makes any sense. Anyway, I love both and have the S/T on order.

Matthew Tate and plextor like this.
  5. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Yep I think out of the 3 post tate albums human is the weakest, Verdict is the best. All are much better than any Tate album since the mid 90's by far.

Verdict flows like a real full album and it's pretty brilliant

johnny q likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

My EU deluxe edition arrived from Amazon Germany yesterday. I haven't listened yet, but wanted to comment on the packaging if anyone is interested in that.

It comes in a nice box that opens to reveal two separate jewel cases (one for the album, one for the bonus tracks) and then some trinkets: a patch (I guess us metal head all supposedly still have denim jacket), a bottle opener, and a fridge magnet. LOL! I stuck the magnet on the fridge. Don't think I'll do anything with the other two trinkets. I would have preferred a nice booklet in the box rather than the trinkets, but maybe some will want them.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Mine arrived from the UK yesterday as well...a little disappointed the live tracks are retreads from the previous QR deluxe but looking forward to hearing the rest.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. agentalbert

That is lame. I didn't know that.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, the only song that is "new" to me is Eyes of a Stranger which is says was on the Japanese disc.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. agentalbert

The live material on the bonus disc is totally squashed dynamics wise. DR4-5. The studio cuts are DR7. The two acoustic tracks are DR10. They sound about how those numbers look. I definitely don't think this deluxe package is worth paying extra for. But that's sunk cost. After a few listens to the main CD, I'll post my thoughts.

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Really I got the deluxe for the three bonus tracks from the Condition Human sessions.

12. bober99

bober99 Forum Resident

My cd will arrive today, looking forward to hear it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I gotta say: this is a great album. I liked C:H, but it seemed like a metal album. This definitely is more prog than either of the last two albums, and I feel like the band is experimenting again.

Also LaTorre no longer seems to be doing a Tate impression - also a good thing. His voice is fantastic and he shows a lot more versatility.

If you like any era of Queensryche, this should be on your list to buy.

chrischerm, Purple, paradox55 and 2 others like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I have it and need to listen to it

stodgers likes this.
  15. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Do it.

:)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Can I just say I find the drumming...lacking. And I don't think the mix is as good as Condition Human either. But there are some great tunes here, and it shouldn't be missed.

johnny q and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I want to like it and I've tried but it just goes over me, makes me want to spin "Promised Land", even more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I didn't know there were any record shops left in Oklahoma.

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Starship Records is still around in Tulsa. Although it is basically a headshop that sells CDs, vinly and other music related items.

stodgers and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

LaTorre is quoted as saying he tried to play in Rockenfield's style in a lot of places, which may have been a mistake on his part. I'd agree that on some songs, I noticed the drums were overly simplistic, and I usually don't notice the drums at all. I actually like the mix as much as C:H, which I listened to again this weekend. Very different albums, each with their own strengths.

Same as here in Billings. I think that's the only way they survive, which does not bode well for us music lovers pending legalization.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just finished. really good album. much better than what I heard from the first 2 non tate albums. still missing something though. with just 2 original members appearing it seems more like a good QR tribute band that made a good QR sounding album

Anonamemouse, stodgers and Brenald79 like this.
  22. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's missing DeGarmo. It sounds like QR, and I've enjoyed this and the last one, but no one in the current band can write those hooks/melodies that made Mindcrime and Empire stick with you long after you stopped listening. (Granted, neither could Tate, really, so no loss there)

24. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

That's my problem with the new material. It's fine. It's not bad at all. But it all just blends together. And that's not just the last three albums. As you said, Tate couldn't even manage to keep memorable moments in the band. Maybe a few sprinkled here and there, with some valiant efforts on quite a few albums. But nothing grabs me here. That's the curse of going forward with the name. It's still solid music, but it's going to be endlessly compared to what the band were able to do during their heyday.

Chris really was the force in the band. He brought the feeling. A lot of that, combined with Tate's more impressive vocal performances, took the band over the top for me. The new stuff is fine in its own way, but it'll never move me the way the old band was able to. That's not really their fault or anything. I don't hold anything against them. But I'm just not there with them anymore. I'd still rather throw on Promised Land and get rocked by Damaged, feel haunted by Out Of Mind, and groove out to Disconnected. It all still moves me to this day.

25. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Interesting, as I find the drumming to be one the most interesting parts of the album. I think most of the reviews seem to say the same thing, though of course we all hear things differently. Bigger picture: the songs are there and (the last three albums have been) a welcomed return to form.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.