Queensryche/Queensrÿche - "The Verdict" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He also brought most of the material. :shh: I wish he could still be involved with the Todd version of the band as a writing collaborator, kind of like he was on Tribe, I think the results could be amazing.

Ristifer and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

go listen to tate live recently. he has gotten some of his voice back. not the way it was still but he has gotten better. there is an emotion in his voice that is just missing from todd's

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think they are two different singers and I enjoy them both. I loved Queensryche's Condition Human and I loved Operation: Mindcrime's The New Reality. It's the best of both worlds!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

I am listening to tates band operation mindcrimes trilogy right now. its not classic QR but imo the 3 albums can be cut down to 2 outstanding 50 minute albums. these 3 albums are far more adventurous than the newer QR material and tracks 8-14 of resurrection might be the finest stretch of songs released by tate or QR since promised land . its about 40 minutes of pure prog joy

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

While I can't rally behind that last statement, I did take you up on this and checked some clips on YouTube, from this year. And yes, his voice is in really good shape, way better than the last time I checked in on what he was doing, which was woefully perfunctory.

JQ

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Funny...I did just that yesterday; cut it down to 19 tracks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

New project from Geoff...Sweet Oblivion

8. Matthew Tate

lol I have one more to go. listened to parts 1 and 2 so far.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

is that a new band or he guests on someones project?

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My new version of the Operation: Mindcrime "trilogy"...cut out some of the voice overs and joined a few tracks or made new fade-outs.

"Re-Inventing The Future"

Burn
    Re-Inventing The Future
    Hearing Voices
    An Ambush of Sadness-Kicking in the Door
    The Fall
    When All Falls Away-A Moment In Time-Though The Noise
    Left For Dead
    Miles Away
    The Fight
    Taking On The World
    A Smear Campaign
    Which Side You're On
    Into The Hands Of The World
    Wake Me Up
    It Was Always You!
    The Fear
    Under Control
    All for What?
    The Wave-Tidal Change

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

They are calling it a new duo.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

that looks great and funny you pretty much picked the 5 of the last 7 tracks on resurrection which is the best part of any of these albums

Curveboy likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

I wonder if tate helped write any of it. that song sounds fantastic

johnny q likes this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The first 2 songs on The Verdict will stay on my playlist of 2019 stuff but not the rest of the album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

funny because to me the album picks up about 1/2 way through

Purple, stodgers and Brenald79 like this.
  16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

QR were one of my favourite bands, I stuck with them through the DeGarmo less lean years, I even liked much of Tribe & Q2K. But the album Dedicated To Chaos really polarised both the band and fans, leading to the spat and fisticuffs in 2012.

Todd seemed a great replacement but I really dislike the direction they have gone in, completely stripping away the progressive elements QR were so famous for, and they seem to want to be a pure heavy metal band these days, I just don’t get it anymore. It just doesn’t suit them. Without Geoff, now Scott too, it’s a completely different animal.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It seems to me too much of a modern heavy metal album for Spotify plays. Each song sounds too similar.

18. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I love Tate's material on those albums, but the production is woeful. And that's me being generous. It makes it hard to listen to at times. Still good music, though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The production on the recent albums from all these prog giants is so annoying. Why can’t they all sound like the new Devin Townsend?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Because no one is buying it? Both Tate and QR are playing tiny venues, in some cases pubs. Sad state of affairs.

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

To me, the album only lets up at Portrait, which is a good song, but doesn't fit on the album. I honestly feel like the album gets a bit bogged down after Dark Reverie, but is still awesome.

I think the remaining members felt like they lost the audience when they deviated from the metal sound. They saw other bands being successful in the space and went back to the roots. But I do feel that the new album has them experimenting again. If you haven't heard it, it has something for fans of every album up to Promised Land.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

True. I was thinking of Dream Theatre as well. New album sounds horrible and they’re a massive band.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Actually, the "prog" elements are still there...just not as annoying as they became on Promised Land. They are playing the same style of music they played on their first 3-4 releases (which most would consider their best.)

This also goes for those yearning for the Degarmo years...this is just as melodic and memorable as anything they have done in the past.

Purple and johnny q like this.
  24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I admit that I don't have every Queensryche album ever released, but weren't they only briefly a prog metal act? I have all their 80s albums but they slipped off my radar after Empire. I haven't heard anything they've done since, partially because most of their albums get really bad reviews. I finally gave the new album a shot and I think it's pretty good, not great, but also not that far removed from the 80s albums...outside of Mindcrime.

Purple likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

tate needs to unleash more of these vocals. i'm sure this will shock a few tate fans

Wounded Land and Brenald79 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.