Queensryche/Queensrÿche - "The Verdict" (2019) album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Eye9 is pretty standard stuff. It sounds nothing like the band in the 80's. It sounds completely pedestrian next to songs like N M 156 or Neue Regel. Even more straightforward "rockers" like Walk In The Shadows have a much more fiery feel and emotion to them. Not that it's an all-out bad song or anything, but to my ears, it doesn't even come close to their heyday period. It's a night and day difference.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm enjoying the new album very much. I don't really take any issue with the drumming. Its fine. Maybe Scott would be more inventive. Maybe not at this point. But the album is a good listen all the way through. And I'm okay with the mix. Maybe mastered a bit hot, but this is very listenable in the car, which is where I've been playing it. Worlds better than the S/T album (1st with Todd) they did a few years back.

Purple and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say even most of classic Queensryche sounds pedestrian next to NM156 and Neue Regel. I mean, you are pointing out two of their most experimental tracks!

4. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

That's a fair point haha. It can be tough to describe what the "it" factor was for the earlier albums. Even the more "simple" songs like Warning or even something like Hand on Heart have a certain passion that I've just never felt with these newer songs.

I'm sure there are listeners who feel something when they hear the newer songs, which is great. It can go both ways. But I'd be writing out an essay to try to describe why the classic band had that "it" factor, and no one wants to read that anyway!

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The first 2 Todd albums are $5 on CD at CenturyMedia.Store

Purple, Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  6. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

I picked this up on Thursday. It took longer than other discs to cue up (twenty seconds compared to say 4) on my Sony 555ES. Does it every time I play it. Noticed a scratch across the beginning of the disc. Got another copy today that is pretty much pristine and I am having the same issue. On my Oppo it cues up faster, but still slower than other CDs. Anyone else noticing their player working a little harder to start the disc?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  7. Rycherocker634

Rycherocker634 Forum Resident

As for the music I like it a lot even though it sounds closer to Avenged Sevenfold than a Queensryche release. Going to spin it again later today.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

So I'm gonna give some props to Geoff who I think outdid the 'Ryche boys this time around. I enjoyed the new Sweet Oblivion disc more than The Verdict. Still not as good as Condition Human, but a damn fine effort from Geoff. Maybe the best thing he's done since Empire.

Sweet Oblivion - "Hide Away"

9. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

My main cd player won't even acknowledge it... luckily I own more than one and have listened to this album multiple times. :righton:

10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

mine will be here tomorrow

Curveboy likes this.
  11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I finally got "The Verdict" earlier this week. Sounds good so far, but time will tell if it has any staying power after the newness wears off.

12. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

For me the staying power wore off after about 5 spins... 60% of the band is replaced, 100% of the magic is gone.

13. Anonamemouse

I agree! But there are *a lot* of moments when I started humming the "old" Queensryche originals. There are bits that might not hold up against a plagiarism lawsuit...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I listened to sweet oblivion and don't like it. Seems kind of bland. I much prefer The Verdict still listen to it every couple if weeks.

Purple likes this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I wonder how Sweet Oblivion will be compared to the Operation Mindcrime albums.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think the Mindcrime trilogy are a bit bloated. I cut it down to 21-22 tracks and it flows much better IMO. I think the mix could have been better on the first two also. Sweet Oblivion is a clean, concise and well done disc. I do think there are a few places I would have cleaned up the mix but I also understand the music business in 2019 does not allow for the excesses of 1989.

Anonamemouse and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

Yeah, that Sweet Oblivion disc is quite good. Easily better than The Verdict, which I was disappointed in after Condition Human, which I like a lot.

Did Tate doing any of the writing on Sweet Oblivion, or just sing?

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Picked up The Verdict a week or two ago but it's not making a massive impression so far.

It's far from hopeless, just not pulling me in like classic Queensryche. I'm relatively new to the band in general and this is the first post Geoff album I've heard. Probably just need to give it a bit more time.

19. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I can’t help but thing the last couple of Geoff albums was more inspired than the Todd Ryche albums.

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i was wondering that too. did tate write anything? i don't see any credits in the booklet

21. Anonamemouse

They never should have done Mindcrime 2 and 3. The first was excellent in story and music, the only improvement could be a better mix. The second added nothing, bland music, I never even checked out the story. The third I don't even remember, I played it maybe twice...

Purple likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I was talking about Geoff's band, Operation: Mindcrime and their trilogy of albums about a computer code that unlocks all the computers in the world:

The Key (2015)
    Resurrection (2016)
    The New Reality (2017)

As for Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime 2 I like it a lot, even if the band doesn't play on it. Here is a decent overview: Queensrÿche’s Operation: Mindcrime II 10 Years Later

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Condition Human is better...FYI

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Totally. The magic has been gone since Promised Land (which, to me, is their masterpiece). The next two albums had some good songs, while still being spotty messes, but once they hit the 21st century, their plummet was both sad and quick. These new albums with the new singer sound uninspired and bland. Oh well, we still have 1984-1994.

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice!

I'll see if I can find it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.