Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fregly

Fregly Well-Known Member

I more or less had the thought during the scene, oh, they are all Tarantino, and it knocked me out of the story for a bit.

2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

If one is thinking that way you could stretch it to RD as well...Pulp Fiction as well.

To me Rosario is about as far from Tarantino as one could get. I think opinions like this round table of Tarantino are spread around because of a talking head like the interview link saying it is so.

I didn't agree with it first time I heard it and sure don't know.

Not saying you feel this way, but most of the criticism is a woman can't talk like that thing vs any reality that this concept put forward above is actually true.

Now the first half of the movie is less than the second half. That is my opinion. But the last half more than makes up for it to me.
    I do appreciate your input though

To each his own.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Cow pizza not something you'd want to stand on.

4. alexpop

Django>>
    No Pulp Fiction or even Kill Bill, that's for sure. Grindhouse set him back a good few years ..noticeably Channing Tatum's exploding head in H8, more Grindhouse effect( thankfully not in 3D). Hopefully he's back on form with Once Upon A Time Hollywood, available in all video stores late 2019. :)

5. alexpop

That's my reckoning as well.

6. alexpop

Robert Downey Jr, was great.

The Hud likes this.
  7. alexpop

Gerry Rafferty did alright out of it as well.:)

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

1) Pulp Fiction
    2) Kill Bill
    3) Inglorious Basterds

9. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

The only one I like is Inglourious Basterds (correct spelling:p)

alexpop and fluffskul like this.
  10. alexpop

1978 :D

11. Fregly

Fregly Well-Known Member

I only made that observation on that particular scene and did not have the reaction at any other time in Tarantino films; and have never had a sense of him before of portraying women in an unconvincing way, he has the modernized film noir thing and sometimes cartoonish way to good effect, just here (his making things a little exaggerated) for me it pushed over into something I wasn't buying. I don't believe it was mild sexism on my part. Something else was going on, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  12. A no brainer for me "Pulp Fiction" is far and away his best work.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I think the "Hateful Eight" will improve with time.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Best one since Kill Bill, at least !!!

Frederick Mars and Lightworker like this.
  14. alexpop

Eight ?
    It's really RD with cowboy hats, in other words a bloody climax, shootout.:D

Frederick Mars likes this.
  15. I think there are some good things in Eight - it gets better with repeat viewings. But yes, it is a similar one room set up like Dogs and the ending is OTT.

Lightworker and alexpop like this.
  16. alexpop

I think it's his most rewatchable film.

Lightworker and Frederick Mars like this.
  17. alexpop

Shouldn't be compared with his other films. Don't know why he rates it so much. It was included in his themed blu ray Tarantino XX 8 films 2o years of filming box.

Lightworker likes this.
  18. alexpop

DVDs are cheap as chips now, no excuse.

19. alexpop

Begs repeats, begs repeat viewings.

20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

As I stated before, I was not implying it was you or anyone else on this board. It is just a general statement of what I have read. I can't know if that what you are saying here, but I can take your word on it.

I just want to make my intentions crystal clear on my end.

If they were men, I don't think it would have gotten near the flack and furthermore I think it would have been more successful.

Of course "success" is relative, and Harvey Weinstein and the whole McGowan Rodriquez situation plays a part. It is hard to be a success when your movie is practically cut from all theaters and not promoted at all because of a personal vendetta. Just my opinion.

Getting back to the scene, while it was no doubt a call back to Reservoir Dogs, I think the homage was something more. The interaction between Zoe and Tracy had a rhythm like no other. When Rosario kicks in as a spectator being changed into something more, there is a nod at what was going on in the "me too" seed. The dialogue of a gun being brought to the knife is further cemented by the look on Rosario's face and her wanting to be a part of this new movement.

If the "Lee" character is the airhead left behind, then that is further noted when they leave her with the creepy farm dude. This comment on the current news actually makes me shudder quite a bit.

This is where I think Tarantino goes into overdrive which in many ways is why the beginning is purposely weak. If the first half was typical slasher Friday the 13th, the last half nails the I Spit on Your Grave/Death Wish angle.

Sorry to belabor the point, but when I come away from one thing baffled at the brilliance, and another doesn't appreciate, I am more curious than anything. Not trying to change your mind, just wondering how you came to the conclusion or whether you saw the same observations.

In thinking about Reservoir Dogs and a comment I read where it is some kind of low life story, again I am baffled. If anything it is Tarantino's ideas about having a loyalty to a friend to only be betrayed in the end. I see nothing useless there and what actually makes the film a cut above. Well that...and a whole film about a heist where you don't get to actually see the heist itself!

Anyway the themes connect in and out, and I think it is so simplistic of critics to pass off the characters of just being the "nerdy video guy". People like that never get it, and those stuck up snob critics need to go sit on a tack.

21. alexpop

The two leads didn't have star power Robert Forster Pam Grier, but the film worked probably because of that.

Rooster_Ties and Frederick Mars like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Tarantino's best by far was Reservoir Dogs, and I wish he quit while he was ahead. Harvey Keitel largely carried that movie as part of his triumphant career rehabilitation that also included Smoke and Bad Lieutenant. Tim Roth and Steve Buscemi were also great.

alexpop likes this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I sure hope the new one is back to his glory days of "Kill Bill" and "Inglourious Basterds" because "The Hateful Eight" was so boring imo, and I got to see it in 70mm panavision at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland.

genesim and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

City Of Industry stellar performance from Mr Keitel.

25. alexpop

Think it will be more akin to Pulp Fiction in other words a talky less action flick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.