Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

And Spielberg says similar things about wanting to preserve the theatrical experience. But then Quentin released the extended Hateful Eight exclusive to Netflix. And Spielberg has struck some big deal with Netflix now. So if the people with power don't put their money where their mouth is, what they say doesn't amount to anything.

Carl80 likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Some Netflix films don’t translate to the tv. Like The Irishman, some folks found it boring, switched it off. Streaming? Films :When streamers know it’s on tap they don’t value it as important.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    JediJones and Carl80 like this.
  3. alexpop

Ha! Doesn’t even mention fancy 4K or blu rays... just humble DVD. :D

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I found it odd that he released a Once Upon A Time In Hollywood novelization two years after the movie. I'm glad he still is expressing an interest in writing. He really broke it down on the Rogan show that he doesn't want to make lousy films and to go out while he's still good.

5. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think it's cool that he did that. He knew a whole lot about the history of movie novelizations in that interview. It's cool that he's just willing to do whatever creatively inspires him and wait as long as he needs to to make another movie. Much preferable to these Hollywood hack producers who just try to set up an assembly line of things to crank out and produce based on deadlines and what the marketing department wants.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

Watched Jackie Brown the other night ( for the umpteen time)... first thing that hits you is the cool soundtrack, Delfonics. Lotta Kangol.. and prerecorded cassettes. :)

7. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood gets better every time I watch it. In time it may move to my #1.

My rankings:

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
    3. Inglorious Basterds
    4. Kill Bill 2
    5. Death Proof - best death scene ever
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Reservoir Dogs
    8. Jackie Brown
    9. The Hateful Eight
    10. Planet Terror
    11. Kill Bill 1

alexpop likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

You’re counting Planet Terror in your rankings? Wasn’t that a Robert Rodriquez film through and through?

Speaking of QT/Rodriquez collaborations, QT actually directed a segment or several scenes in RR’s Sin City—I believe QT did the “That Yellow Bastard” scenes.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Oops, my bad. Well, consider it ranked in the QTverse.

10. alexpop

(5) Rose McGowan?

11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

12. alexpop

Wasn’t QT involved in some way with Rodriguez’ Predators?

13. Chrome_Head

Was he? I hadn't heard that, the movie bears little QT influence, and I think even RR was just a producer (he didn't direct).

Tried to rewatch that a few years ago and couldn't get through it. I enjoyed it well enough in the theater.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

It was certainly better than The Predator.

15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah I agree totally about Hollywood, it gets better with every watch doesn’t it :cool:, might end up being my favourite in time as well, but Planet Terror in front of Kill Bill 1, what’s going on there :confused:

16. alexpop

QT .. didn’t direct Planet Terror. So :shrug:

Carl80 likes this.
  17. alexpop

Yet to see “My Best Friend’s Birthday” (1987).
    Anything redeeming about it?

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Tarantino basically took ten years of notes on the character and the real-life news of 1969 LA and distilled them into the novel. So he basically expanded on all his source material, and used that to "open up" the movie and show things that would've been much too boring to show in a film, like two separate 10-minute conversations between the young actress who plays Mirabella and fading TV star Rick Dalton. They're fascinating to read in the novel.

Tarantino also said he really liked reading movie novelizations back in the day, and I agree with him that it's interesting when the novel is based on an earlier version of the script and you wind up experiencing a story that's much different from the movie, yet essentially tells the same series of events.

One of Tarantino's recent appearances on the Big Picture podcast discussed his observation that most directors start going downhill at a certain point of their career. He points out that, at the age of 58, he's not getting any younger and he risks starting to make bad films, because it's kind of inevitable for any director. I think it's amazing that he did such an incredible film as Once Upon a Time in America, and it's a rare film that I can watch 3 or 4 times and see new things every time. I gotta say, though, you look at characters like Cliff Booth a lot differently once you know the story details from the novel.

Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I honestly think it helps that the main protagonist in Jackie Brown (Jackie) is very likable on a basic human level (vs on an entertainment level, like Jules from Pulp Fiction), which is not always the case with Tarantino films. Pam Grief did an amazing job in making Jackie probably even more likable than she was in the script (or from the original book).

Django from Django Unchained would also be a main protagonist from a QT film I would say was very likable on a basic human level.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. alexpop

Love the story of how Robert Forster ( r.i.p.) got the part in Jackie Brown.

Aside .. wasn’t he great in El Camino.. a Breaking Bad movie. :cool:

Chrome_Head and George Co-Stanza like this.
  21. George Co-Stanza

I wasn't a big fan of El Camino, but yeah he was good. Great carryover from his great performance in Granite City, BB's penultimate episode.

Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Been on a QT binge of late and checked out Django: Unchained again. SLJ steals the show. Would have liked more Walter Goggins. Tarantino playing an Australian was a hoot, his part was blown up ... lol.

te he

23. alexpop

His Hoover business/ shop was straight out of David Lynch world.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

He really does. As great as Waltz, Fox and DiCaprio are all in that film, once Jackson appears in the film, he owns it till the end. It reminds of the film Se7en, where Pitt and Freeman were both tremendous, but once Kevin Spacey shows up in the film, he owns it.

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Liked the bit at the end of unchained where Stephen / SLJ throws away his walking stick and stood up straight ( nothing wrong with him ) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.