Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I’ll be watching Inglorious B ..later, not seen it in awhile ( no doubt I’ll report back ) :)

Carl80 and George Co-Stanza like this.
  2. alexpop

Guess this threads the best place to ask it.
    What would you like to be QT last film.

Another western
    Modern film ala pulp fiction
    Kill Bill III
    Anything else ?

Occurred to me his final film he may get all his actors that’s been involved in his previous classics to be involved. Travolta..Thurman.. Russell... etc ...

Anyway something to ponder on. :)

3. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Kill Bill 3 could pass as another "chapter" of the Kill Bill saga, so it may not count as his last film. So he could do that and one other.

I never heard of it before. Wiki says half the film was permanently lost in a lab fire. The other half appears to be on YouTube:

alexpop likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

One of his three best (along with PF and JB)!

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Read the film helped him learn how to direct a few years later, so that was a +.
    Supposedly a dress rehearsal for True Romance
    .. least script wise.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  6. alexpop

Here you see / hear QT snappy dialogue, Blue print right there.

7. alexpop

KB3? wish that could happen.
    But ..I’ve a sneaky suspicion it’ll either be a western / or .. Kung fu type thing. :)

Carl80 likes this.
  8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I just don't understand him enough to predict. He is from another generation and has vastly different tastes in entertainment from me. He's a tail-end boomer and I'm a tail-end Gen-Xer. I just feel what he said about Kill Bill being "draining" for him to make. His last two movies have been two small-scale ones in a row. So I wouldn't be surprised if he goes smaller-scale still for his next one.

alexpop likes this.
  9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I know but even if he did Kill Bill Vol 1 is a masterpiece and Planet Terror is average at best.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Folks like what they like.

Carl80 likes this.
  11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Very true, it’s not an awful film , I like it, just not on Kill Bill 1 level IMO.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

10th film ?
    He’s not letting on yet.
    Nice to speculate though. :)

Carl80 likes this.
  13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Well would love Kill Bill 3 to finish the trilogy but I just can’t see that, there was talk about a space film , if it’s going to be anywhere near as good as Once Upon A Time In Hollywood I’d just like him to carry on after the 10th one.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Space film? :)

15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah he mentioned exploring something to do with Star Trek or something like that a year or two ago, that would be somewhere he hasn’t gone before!

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Why is “Once Upon A Time In ..Hollywood” only got a 7.6/10 rating on IMDb ? All the rest get over 8/10 cept Death Proof 7/10.

I thought QT last film was a big hit commercially/ reviews etc .... NO?

17. alexpop

Thought he owned The Hateful Eight.

18. George Co-Stanza

The rating seems about right. Good film, but I don't find it one I need to re-watch much, and his films are usually ones I want to watch over and over. That is the consensus I have gotten from others as well. Anecdotal, but I just didn't get the sense that the masses were on board with it as one of his better films. It did well commercially because it is Tarantino. Pretty much any film he releases will do well commercially because of his name.

Very good film, but I thought it was his least best of his films at the time. I would now put it head of Once Upon a Time..., which, again, I like, but I definitely think it's his least best.

JediJones and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Once upon ...
    must just be a forum fvourite and not elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  20. alexpop

The Hateful Eight ?
    I was in the same cinema the week after QT was there for the premier... ( me.. seating in the circle ) the cinema was packed. Lots of ladies sitting.

Carl80 likes this.
  21. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think Once Upon had a high gross because of its stars, Pitt and DiCaprio. Probably a lot of people went to see it who aren't Tarantino fans just for them, or Margot Robbie, and then gave it a lower rating on IMDB. His films with Pitt and DiCaprio do twice as well as his other recent films (Hateful and Kill Bills). For me, those two stars are a negative. I don't like their acting in most things, especially DiCaprio. I consider myself a Tarantino fan, but that must truly mean he's a good director, because I have no interest in the subject matter of his films, like all of the references he makes to films he saw as a kid that I haven't seen. But Once Upon was the first one where he really over-indulged in the things he was referencing. I thought there was little way for the uninitiated in the Hollywood lore that interests him to get involved in the story. So I could only give it a 5 on IMDB. Film critics probably had no problem with it, because they are experts on Hollywood and film history.

22. alexpop

I gave it a 8/10

23. George Co-Stanza

I'm a fan of both Pitt and Leo, so their acting was fine in this (really good, actually), but I just think the film has too many lags. I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking at one point that you could get drunk by playing a drinking game where you take a shot every time there is a shot of someone driving around listening to music. Just too much excess, not enough meat on the bone. Feels like it was the first QT film where the storyline (the cake) almost took a back seat to the icing, in a matter of speaking.

Joker to the thief and JediJones like this.
  24. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Yeah, and those scenes of driving around the neighborhood are often something singled out for praise by the critics, because it's so nostalgic, or captures that time and place perfectly. But most audiences are looking for a story, not a travelogue. And I imagine most are like me in that they'd rather have seen more in the story about the cult and Manson than some washed-up has-been B-movie actors. And from a story perspective, there's zero reason to have Sharon Tate in the movie at all. Since the story in the movie doesn't happen to her. She's in there solely as a reference to a real-life event that younger viewers don't know much if anything about.

25. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I thought the same as well after my first viewing but I think it gets better with each watch, I’ve read a few others saying that as well, the performance from Pitt and Di Caprio are amazing, definitely in my top 3. Spectacular sound track as well.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.