Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Wouldn’t mind a longer Once Upon cut, loved the period detail myself. Don’t forget the film is a fairytale.... hence the title

twicks and Carl80 like this.
  2. alexpop

Ironically remember being disappointed, moaning about it here. But .. it’s a joy to watch, sure you could nitpick.

twicks and Carl80 like this.
  3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah but if he would have left Tate out of the story people would have complained, he wouldn’t be able to win with that, doesn’t make much sense not including her in the storyline, it’s his own fairytale re imagined, I read QT said all people talk about in real life is the horrible events/murder what happened whenever tates name is brought up and he felt she deserved more in the film re the ending.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

The film is just an time travel excuse back to the sixties. It’s a feel good movie involving a not so feel good real life story.

Carl80 likes this.
  5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah exactly.

alexpop likes this.
  6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

If she deserved more, then make her a character in the movie. She barely had any dialogue.

Margot Robbie's Lack Of Dialogue In "Once Upon A Time In...Hollywood" Tells A Sadder Story

"The director has said that he wanted us to spend “a day in the life” with a woman who is only really remembered for her death. But the fact that the film could largely work were Tate to completely be removed from it makes her feel all too much like a token female character, there to titillate, and act as a catalyst to propel male characters forward."

"But Tarantino has created an environment that sidelines Tate as a pawn in a game of chess run by the men around her — and to hear her say it, that’s not what she had in mind."

7. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Best? I don't know. Most defining? I'd say "Pulp Fiction."

Carl80 and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

Think that’s the gen public pick.
    High IMDb rating.

Blastproof likes this.
  9. alexpop

She was designed for eye candy. Margot delivered,

Carl80 likes this.
  10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I know what you mean but it is a sensitive subject in real life, he had to play her character wisely, look at the controversy in the media with the Bruce Lee character as soon as he opened his mouth, which was true as he had no time for stunt men and didn’t treat them with much respect, I thought Robbie did quite a good job playing Tate.

George Co-Stanza and alexpop like this.
  11. alexpop

Robbie ? Didn’t put a foot wrong. :)

Carl80 likes this.
  12. alexpop

Looks to be around 1987.
    Happy days. :)

Carl80 likes this.
  13. alexpop

Top Gun paraphernalia (1986), to his left. :)

Carl80 likes this.
  14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

ha, yeah noticed that, would imagine there is nothing he doesn’t know about Top Gun and every other film from 86 ! The good old days though of seeing if a video is in stock on the screen. Imagine being served by Tarantino, strange.

Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

And the Golden Girls :laugh:

16. alexpop

Watched Inglorious Basterds again ( in a long time ). Really liked the German cast, Daniel Brûl, August Diehl in particular. Apparently this is still Tarantino’s biggest film in Europe /Germany. Large German /Austria cast!!!!

Noticed in IMDb credits .. QT has a uncredited role playing the first scalloped nazi. :)

Carl80 likes this.
  17. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Just got in there before I was going to mention that one mate ! Yes I didn’t even know that until I watched that 3 part documentary on you tube the other week and it showed it.

alexpop likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. And the little bit of criticism QT got at the time about Robbie not having enough dialogue in the film was pure silliness. Two of the biggest heroes or heroines in any QT are female (Jackie Brown and Beatrix Kiddo), so the implication that QT was being sexist by giving the two male leads more dialogue than the one female lead was pure rubbish. I love how when he was asked about it at a press conference, he immediately rejected the premise and then gave it no more attention.

Carl80 likes this.
  19. alexpop

My favourite scene used to be the beginning scene / farm ... but I prefer the cafe scene with Michael Fassbinder now.

Aside.. still not my favourite. I place it next to Django Unchained lower tier.

Carl80 likes this.
  20. Goat

Goat Forum Resident

I can't really choose a favourite film of his as I love them all, for me it's a bit like trying to choose a favourite Beatles album.
    What I have found with Tarantino films is that when you rewatch them they get much better.
    For example I just rewatched Death Proof, now a lot of people didn't rate that film but if you rewatch it it gets 10 times better especially the third time... but leave 6 months in between viewings.
    Death Proof is an absolutely amazing film with some great performances from the cast especially Kurt Reynolds, the whole thing in my opinion is it's underlying humour and poignant take on life generally, its hilarious.
    I never knew I liked the song jeepster by T-Rex until watching Death Proof.
    You can see that humour in all these films in my opinion.
    That line of Brad Pitt's in Once Upon, "your Rick f****** Dalton don't ever forget that"

For me he is without doubt the greatest film-maker ever. I just can't choose a favourite, I suppose my favourite is the one I just rewatched :)

alexpop and Carl80 like this.
  21. alexpop

True Romance ..
    Hans Zimmer score over opening credits ..sounds a bit tropical.

22. alexpop

Movie magic.

Goat and Carl80 like this.
  23. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

Pulp Fiction for me.

alexpop and Carl80 like this.
  24. alexpop

Was going to watch it again, but plumped for

True Romance. ❤️

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

You suppose QT approved the cover art for the OUATIH novelization mass market paperback cover? :uhhuh:

[​IMG]

Carl80 and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.