Quentin Tarantino's best film?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Ok ! Have now courtesy of YouTube. :)

Don’t “? Hilarious:)
    Werewolf Women “? Rubbish, even with Nicholas Cage.
    Thanksgiving “ te he Don’t come home for the holidays. :D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    mBen989 and Carl80 like this.
  2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Tarantino and "best film" don't compute.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

"and when you push a special key it plays a little melody" Who knew that QT sings! ;)

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

So you think all his movies are great?

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I think all his movies suck. At least the 5-6 I painfully sat through...

6. alexpop

Don’t (2007)

Did you spot Nick Frost. Lol:laugh:

Carl80 likes this.
  7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

People like what they like.

8. alexpop

Pulp Fiction?
    It has its fans in this thread !!!!

9. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I never watched Pulp again after seeing it in cinemas in 1994, only because I thought it was a perfect experience. Any second viewing could've only diluted that perfection. I've seen a few clips again here and there and I have no doubt it holds up though. But, I am never one who thinks less of a movie as the years go by. If I liked it once, my opinion would never change. It is still amazing how it took America by storm as a low-budget movie. Wikipedia says it was the first "indie" film to top $100 million domestically, but I'm not quite sure how indie is defined. Rocky was low-budget and also grossed over $100 million, but I guess not an "indie." My Big Fat Greek Wedding definitely was an indie that topped it in theatrical gross later though.

10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

How can you remember any of it though to say how good it was/is, seeing it only once nearly 25 years ago ? I can’t remember a fortnight ago some weeks.

alexpop likes this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I did the same with Forrest Gump and can remember quite a bit of both. I definitely can't remember the order the scenes happened in Pulp, but I couldn't remember that a week after seeing it. Was surprised that the Honeybunny hold-up discussion is the first scene. I thought it started with the Royale with Cheese conversation. Watched that and the Bonnie incident clips on YouTube this week. A lot of it is easy to remember because it was referenced and parodied in so many other places for so long, or just talked about. The dance scene and the Ezekiel speech were everywhere, and Simpsons did a parody of the start of the gimp scene. Mia's OD scene and adrenaline shot, with the Eric Stoltz cameo, are burned into my brain. The accidental shooting of the guy in the car and the fixer showing up to fix it is unforgettable. As is Walken's speech about the watch. The yak about BS and "Fox Force Five" dialogue always comes up somewhere. The Willis conversation with his girlfriend went on a long time, that's all I remember about that. I've seen the "be cool like Fonzie" clip show up in reviews or other videos lately, but I had probably forgotten about that part. I don't really remember how exactly the standoff at the end ended. I remember some scenes showing the back of Marsellus' head.

Carl80 likes this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah Forest Gump cleaned up at the Oscars that year as well I think and beat Pulp to best movie, another classic. As you said there are a lot of scenes and quotes you don’t forget from Pulp like, Zeds Dead and the gimp scene, ha.

13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Agree to disagree...QT got me to actually care about a DiCaprio character for the very first time. That's first-rate direction and acting.
    Brad Pitt was totally fab all the way through. Robbie was mostly eye candy but the 'theatre' scene contained some authentic pathos.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

There’s a couple of films DiCaprio is in when he was young starting out and he gives incredible performances, Gilbert Grape and another with De Niro , can’t remember the name of it , but there’s some great scenes with him and De Niro.

alexpop likes this.
  15. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Yeah, and Letterman hosted the Oscars. I loved that whole year in cinema. Gump's a little tougher to remember everything...telling the story at the bench, box of chocolates, shrimp boat, Lt. Dan losing his legs, Bubba in Vietnam with explosions, mother dying, running across country with a beard, Bubba Gump shrimp company, running as a teen at the ball field, run Forrest run, meeting JFK, meeting John Lennon (that nice man was shot the next year), the crowd at the Washington monument, running into the reflecting pool, Jenny going hippie, Forrest meeting his son, Jenny's fate at the end.

Pulp won for Best Screenplay at least. Siskel and Ebert's Oscar special for that year just resurfaced online and they both picked Pulp as their hoped-for choice for Best Picture. I would've been happy either way. I think that nowadays, we might've seen a split with Tarantino taking Best Director, but a Picture/Director split was much less common then. I would've loved to see Samuel L. win Best Supporting Actor but he was up against Martin Landau who was also great in another great movie, Ed Wood. Shawshank Redemption was even in the running that year. Lion King for music. And Speed, True Lies and The Mask for technical awards. It was an incredible year for consequential movies that have stood the test of time. Granted, True Lies would get a lot more objections today from the politically correct contingent.

Carl80 likes this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Wow yeah Shawshank Redemption that year as well, what a film that is.

Mark E. Moon and alexpop like this.
  17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I had forgotten Rosanna Arquette was in it, but seeing her in the trailer reminds me of the "girl with all the s**t in her face" line.

Chrome_Head and Carl80 like this.
  18. alexpop

My current favourite.
    Begs repeats views I find. :cool:

bamaaudio and Carl80 like this.
  19. YarRevenge

YarRevenge Forum Resident

Kill Bill

JediJones likes this.
  20. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

...Hollywood is like one of those classic albums where the last note of each song is the first note of the next song and it all just flows. On paper it's a list of tributes to things QT loves; music, movies, classic restaurant signs, Italian movies ect. but the way these are all pieces of a whole with no visible seams is remarkable. And while it's all about a place and a time it's really about people. It's all heart and the last shot blurs my vision.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Pulp Fiction

alexpop and JediJones like this.
  22. alexpop

If i like a film, with the wonders of having 2000 dvds in my bear cave. I by jolly will rewatch a film at my liking,even though I usually watch the theatrical version first. I do believe it’s a common thing. Heck I’ve rewatched BCS three times since last November.. as I like the series characters. It’s good to have options. :):righton:

23. alexpop

If this had been a poll, do believe PulpFiction would win.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  24. alexpop

Advantages of having a media library. You can always refresh your memory. Lol :nyah:

25. alexpop

II ?

JediJones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.