Question about 755 SACD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy from Ohio, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for making this clear to me.

2. Last week I was in a "very high-end" store and the salesperson was going to demo a very expensive Marantz SACD player for me. He He tried and tried, but he couldn't get it to work. I walked over to the unit and that it was connected to the receiver with a digital cable. I told the salesperson that SACD will not work via a digital cable and that it requires analog connections. Of course, he said I was wrong at which I walked out of the store.

3. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

A contrary opinion follows.

Best Buy is great, if you're an educated consumer. Which everyone ought to be!

Occasionally they'll have someone who knows something. But that's gravy. If I know what I'm doing, I can get some very satisfying bargains there. In a more perfect world, one in which I would have a LOT more disposable income, I would pine for the experts at a full-service store who would hold my hand, educate me, give me wonderful after-sale service, and all those great things that cost lots more money.

In this world, though, I'm very grateful for big-box mass-marketers that occasionaly offer very good deals on high-performing equipment such as the Sony CE775. And sometimes I'm delighted to find some good customer service as well--but I don't expect it.

4. Gardo,

I agree with you 100%. I purchased my Sony SACD player at Best Buy also.

John

5. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

As did I. Got very little help from the salesman, but then, I knew what I wanted and he didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.