Question about ATLP7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lenny99, May 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I ran my LP7 for a little over 3 years before it died. Never had to replace the belt. One day it decided to not turn on any more. I tried a new power supply and still did not work so I tossed it in the trash and purchased a new turntable.

I really enjoyed it for the time it did work. I had it paired with a VM95ML cartridge.

MikeInFla likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Three years is quite short, for a turntable.
    An indication of its quality (or lack thereof).

3. rockin_since_58

That is how products are these days. Also had a Maytag washing machine die right at 3 years. Today's products are no where near what they were 10 years ago in terms of quality. I think the early failures are by design.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

IME, programmed obsolescence is by far the most common:
    Software incompatibility or discontinued service a device relied upon (like soundbar apps that stop working).
    Or just technological obsolescence, because a device doesn’t meet modern requirements of calculation power anymore to run software at a reasonable speed.
    All things that aren’t really relevant to turntables… that’s why 3 years is short - for a turntable.

As for turntables in particular:
    My turntable is running just fine for about 4 years now.
    I’ve never had a turntable crap out (I’ve had quite a few in the past 10~15 years), always worked just fine by the time I upgraded, so I sold them or gave them away.
    Most people I know who are running budget turntables haven’t had your experience either (some had a DOA though).
    Probably just bad luck when it craps out that quickly… unless it’s an actual bad product.

Yeah I’ve had similar experiences with some products… but that’s just a matter of bad luck in those few rare cases that it happens.
    Any investment is a gamble up to a certain degree.
    Friday afternoon models or Monday morning products…

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  5. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

I passed 3 years with my lp-7 in february. I check the speed regularly via app as i expect a belt change needed and it hasnt slowed at all.

i put a vm540ml on it about 6 months ago and love it.

TheMovieRad likes this.
  6. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free. Thread Starter

I've had my ATWP7 for about a year. I occasionally check the speed and find it runs a little fast; something like 33.35 to 33.40. RPM.

I've had the belt off several times for cleaning. I've not noticed any wear. I purchased a replacement belt a few months ago. So far all is well as I'm using the original belt. I easily purchased the replacement belt from LP Gear.

I think this is a fine TT. It looks sharp, and sounds great. None the less here are a few other minor problems I've experienced:

1) This table has great looks, but one must take care to keep it clean. Dirt and fingerprints seem to stand out. I often find myself buffing the plinth with a soft cloth.

2) While reaching zero balance when I attempt to apply proper tracking force the tonearm tends to float. This occurred no matter where I set the anti-skate control. I was concerned about this issue and asked Audio Technica if this was an indication of a problem. I was told that was a characteristic of that table. Not to worry. That was about a year ago. I've learned to adjust to this issue.

3) Once, when using the hight adjustment for the tonearm I noticed the lock had slipped. It only happened once.

That's about all the problems I've experienced.

Art K and rockin_since_58 like this.
  7. KenVal

KenVal Member

Cheers, I assume AT could not repair TT?

8. KenVal

KenVal Member

how do you clean the belt? Isopropyl alcohol? Clean belt and rim of TT?

9. KenVal

KenVal Member

I am thinking of upgrading my VM95SH to a VM750SH when turntable arrives, do you think there will be a audio benefit?

10. Lenny99

I usually run the belt through a soft cotton cloth I hold in my hand. I use distilled water if it appears dirty. I do the same with the platter rim.

Clonesteak likes this.
  11. Lenny99

I'm not sure. I upgraded my 7 to the EN, and then the ML. Both displayed improved sound.

12. rockin_since_58

It wasn't worth it to me to have to deal with shipping to AT for repair. It was time for a new TTT :)

13. Lenny99

Hi:

I just reread your text.

I think I left out some info. I wouldn't want to mislead you. So....

Since I've not heard either stylus/cartridges you mentioned I can't make any definite statements concerning those carts.

However, there is a great difference in price between the 95SH and the 75OSH. I think some of that difference is in the construction of the cart. As an example check below:

Whsn I upgraded my stylus, I purchased the VMN40ML instead of the VMN95ML. Both are similar microline stylus. But, there appears to be a difference in the carts of the VMN40ML and the VMN95ML. You can check this on the AT site. The VMN has an improved cart.

I'd advise you to check the Audio Technica site to be specific.

Good luck.

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yeah but why not buy a turntable that doesn't have any speed problems? To me, if it doesn't play at the right speed it's junk. :confused:

15. Lenny99

Using an rpm smartphone app, my ATWP7 maintains a speed of 33.35 to 33.40. I'm not sure how accurate the smart phone app is, but my TT has a consistent speed.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Batman21

This is the first ive heard of this speed issue. I tested mine again tonight with an app and got 33.34, the same as the last three times.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Lenny99

I'm sorry if i gave you thd wrong impression. I don't think the measurements I receive from an app present a problem. Perhaps I should like have been more specific.

The fact that I don't notice any sonic differences plus the consistency of the measurements leads me to believe the TT has a proper RPM.

18. KenVal

KenVal Member

My new at-lp7 arrived Wednesday and super pleased so far. Speed check is spot on and sound is surprisingly massively improved from my 1240 dd model, much better soundstage and central image rock solid. Now just ordered vm760slc cartridge to complete upgrade. Oh plus 11 album Mark Knopler box set.

19. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

The Knopler box set might be more impressive than the cartridge upgrade!
    Enjoy that box set mt friend!!

KenVal likes this.
  20. KenVal

KenVal Member

Tried 3 box sets all crap pressings and returned. GZ Czech pressings, tons of crackle and clicks. Shame music is great.

21. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

That's a bummer!
    I have the digital release that don't suffer from that, but would have loved some of those 1sr time on vinyls.
    Guess it's off my radar now.

22. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

I seriously doubt that the turntable failure was by design. Most likely it was due to something very simple that a tech could have easily found, but ya never know. My lp7 is about 3 years old is is running perfectly through a Schiit preamp coupled with an Ortofon Bronze cart. So far I'm a happy camper. The highs are crisp and the lows are tight and the soundstage is broad, quiet and well defined. Prior to that I was running a Music Hall 2.3 which was absolutly awful, but that's a story for another time. As far as old tech lasting longer, perhaps...I'm running a first gen Toshiba flat screen TV in my bedroom (it's at least 4 inches thick and 15 years old) and it is still running like new. It totally amazes me. Keep on enjoying that lp7!

Batman21 and rockin_since_58 like this.
  23. Batman21

I had a music hall 2.3 prior to the atlp7 as well. It was so light weight itd get knocked around, then the tonearm lift leaked fluid all over. Part of the reason i went with the lp7 was that i wanted something much more sturdy and heavy compared to the 2.3.

After 3.5 yrs the belt was noticeably saggy so i finally changed it. Still rocking hard!

MikeInFla and rockin_since_58 like this.
  24. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

If you are not 100% thrilled after you give it a workout. I suggest, the AT LP140, as I love mine also, with the ATVM95ML, it just sounds good. My favorite table in the entry level type market right now.

Vinyl Kix likes this.
  25. MAP

MAP Forum Resident

LOL. Great minds think alike! My major issue with the 2.3 was that of isolation, or rather lack of it. In general, the deck was noisy, no matter where I put it, and it was just plain tedious to listen to. I too, chose the LP7 because it was a tank and, as I said, I'm very happy!

Batman21 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.