Question about Blonde on Blonde

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmm55, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

great stuff! thanks...

notesfrom likes this.
  3. reg slade

reg slade Forum Resident

first off, discard anything charles r cross says or writes about anything...king coattail rider, him

Fullbug likes this.
  4. jmm55

jmm55 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Really? When I went looking for a Hendrix biography I wanted something relatively current, assuming a modern author would have the advantage of reading all previous biographies, and Cross fit this bill. One might argue it's unreasonable for later authors to borrow any anecdotes from previous biographers, but that would make writing biographies all but impossible except for the first one or two of any given subject.

Cross claimed to have interviewed hundreds of people over the course of four years, apparently many of whom had never been interviewed before. If your complaint is only that many of the stories can be found in other Hendrix biographies, I have to admit I'm not bothered by this. I think the only important part to me is that he got the story essentially right. If you can cite some specific cataclysmic fault in the book I'd be curious to know of it. I'd also like to know what Hendrix biography you'd recommend.

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The Lenny Bruce album (at least) is one he likely brought from the U.S.

You can see the shrink wrap on it (albums weren't shrink wrapped in the UK in the 60's or 70's).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    mahanusafa02 likes this.
  6. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Well done...likewise, although blurry, that looks like a US stereo version of Blonde On Blonde, not a UK copy.

astro70 and cedricwarner like this.
  7. cedricwarner

cedricwarner Forum Resident

Something to keep in mind, the original stereo mix has never been released digitally. The original mono mix has been released on CD, but Hendrix was known for preferring stereo over mono, so if you want to hear what he heard, you'll have to get a vinyl copy.

8. jmm55

Amusing story. I liked the idea of the SACD but decided to buy a less expensive version, and did so on ebay. I thought I had bought the 2004 remastered version based on the seller's description, but close examination of the picture of the CD itself indicated I had actually bought the 1987 CGK 841 version, which didn't make me happy.

While waiting for the seller to answer my question about how he messed up the listing details, I stumbled upon a just listed 2CD SACD, the exact one as found at Acoustic Sounds as linked, and managed to get it on a buy it now for about $12CDN and free shipping. I did well enough that I think I'm going to let both versions come and A/B the sound quality.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

No way, dude. Wilder did a good mix on the Mastersound. His "Sooner or Later" mix is primo Dylan.

10. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

How did the a/b test go?

11. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

None of the stereo CDs of Blonde on Blonde use the original LP mix. Go with the mono.

cedricwarner likes this.
  12. jmm55

I have to admit I haven't done the test yet. I got both CD's and simply listened the SACD. Having been reminded I'll give it a go, assuming I can find the other CD. Admittedly my collection has become very unruly and I have them everywhere, as well as a knack for misplacing them.

13. jmm55

I have to confess my preference for stereo over mono is too strong to overcome just about any other potential criteria which one might favor one recording over another.

tug_of_war and Coltrane811 like this.
  14. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The mono mix took days to complete, the stereo mix was finished in a few hours. FYI.

donohed likes this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Was the second stereo mix (1968) ever released on CD?

mBen989 likes this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The 3 LP MoFi Box is as good as it gets for a stereo presentation. Now just hoping we get a Mono box or even a One Step Mono.

17. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

He's got the stereo version in the photo. I guess that's settled :D

dee likes this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

Heh heh

19. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Any love for the 2014 HDTracks version?

mBen989 likes this.
  20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm assuming that's the SACD remix.

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

No, every CD has been a remix.

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

She's laying besides Grandpa who's buried in the rocks.

sekaer likes this.
  23. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

memories of my younger simpler days of sitting in front a cheap sh@t turntable and spinning records all night, spent records all over the floor. Then I had to go and make listening to music so much more complicated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.