Question about bookshelf speaker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cavalerox, Feb 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavalerox

cavalerox New Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am ready to buy my first music system that I always wanted to own but I have very little knowledge about this topic , and I would truly appreciate if you can advise me about my 3 questions below. I will give you some feedback : mainly I listen to new age and instrumental music , and some snyth pop stuff …I will not play heavy metal, rap, or country music etc… I watch very little tv and I don’t care about tv either but would like to connect the tv to my music system. What I really care is the quality of the sound (just like all of us) . I don’t listen to music very loud, and I don’t blast them all the way, but I don’t keep the level very low either.

My questions:

1) The amplifier that I am planning to buy is Denon AVR S-750H . I chose this brand and model for 2 reasons. The price is extremely good at Costco ($399) and I heard only good things about the brand and this model . Is this product something that I can use for many years, or will this break down like some other amplifiers within a few years?

2) I wrote above my music preference, and I want to buy 2 good quality bookshelf speakers. My maximum budget is $800 to $1000 (for the pair) and not more (or perhaps 2 bookshelf speaker and one subwoofer). I checked several websites and came up with the following brands:

Audioengine A5 , Audioengine HD6 , KEF Q100 , KEF Q350 , SVS prime , SVS ultra , Klipsch RP-160M , Klipsch RP-600M , Klipsch The Sixes , Dynaudio XEO 2 , Definitive Technology SM65 , Definitive Technology D11

Which speaker would you recommend based on the music type I like, and how compatible these speakers are to the Denon amplifier I wrote above? If you do not like any of them, do you have any recommendation for me?

3) I will also buy a turntable. I should have no problem to connect the turntable to the amplifier, correct?

Thank you all for helping me! I appreciate the advice.

2. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

You wouldn't seem to need 7.2 channels. Why not go for 2 channels of nice(er) quality amplification?
    Maybe...

Marantz - PM6006 Integrated Amp | Shop Music Direct

Yamaha - A-S501 Integrated Amp | Shop Music Direct

TA-100 Stereo Preamp/DAC/Tuner With Integrated Amplifier

There are a million wonderful speaker brands. Your preferred music might like the Wharfedale sound. Like the latest in the Diamond family:

Wharfedale - Diamond 12.2 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)

Or the still fine and dandy Diamond 225 from 2 generations ago. (Would allow for some subwoofer $ if you were to conclude you need more bass and overall powerful sound)

Wharfedale - Diamond 225 Bookshelf Speakers | Shop Music Direct

These tend to veer toward the warmer, fuller presentation.

Another warmer-fuller option would be these Q Acoustics models, which seem to be unavailable at the moment:

3030i Bookshelf Speaker Pair

In the more "exciting" or big and bold vein, Monitor Audio's latest Bronze model, the 100, apparently kicks some butt. These would be bigger and fuller sounding than the Klipsch RP-600M, if I'm understanding correctly.

Another perhaps useful vid is of Randy the Cheap Audio Man comparing some $500 models. He's not the hair shirt audiophile type, but works pretty hard to make some distinctions the type of sound some speakers make. Maybe you'll have a "yeah, that sounds like what I'm looking for" moment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1UF0sWNdQ&t=27s

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

You have specific needs.
    To me it suggests class A amplification.
    Class A is smooth maybe on smooth
    Side of things.
    Amplifiers and speakers work together
    Better when paired sympathecially.
    In your situation I would put myself
    In the hands of a good dealer,
    If they are still operating during these
    Times.
    In the long term it could work out better

4. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

With that budget I say go with used gear. KEF LS50 will be cheap on the used market. Look for say a used Yamaha AS-801 for amplification.

Other amp to consider - Yamaha RN303 if you want to buy new.

Speaker wise the Klipsch RP600M is ok. Not bad. A budget speaker that is good will be the Sony SS CS5, not as good as the RP600 but it’s much cheaper and does doing fine.

Adding a turntable is best with a turntable preamp. Factor that in when you want to do it later on.

5. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

The Audioengine and Klipsch Sixes are powered speakers, meaning they have built-in amps that you wouldn't need with an external amp.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:righton:

7. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

What will you use as sources, other than a turntable? Streaming? Computer playback? Other?

The Denon has a bunch of built-in features for digital playback. It also has built-in bass management if you want to add a sub, which you might eventually want for synth pop.

As for the turntable, might look at the AT-LP120X. It's a decent turntable in your price range, comes with a decent cartridge.

8. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Some general thoughts...
    You live in Miami area...Speakers are something that you need to hear in person...otherwise it's a big crapshoot. If possible, take a listen to some of the contenders.

Agree with the poster about the Denon....you won't need 7.1 features. I have an old Denon from 1987 that still works. I'm not sure if they have cheapened their quality, but they used to be a respected brand.

I would think most receivers/integrated amps would have a phono pre-amp section built in.

But whatever else you do...listen to the speakers ahead of time. Everyone has different tastes. I picked up some Polk Audio LsIM 705's from Adorama...but I am not super happy with them. Much prefer'd the old Polk Monitor 5B's I had with a sub. I live out in sticksville...so listening in person wasn'y an option.

Bern

9. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Same here. Not sticksville, but no more hi-fi shops. But, Crutchfield has a good, no bs return/audition policy. Bonus, you can listen in your room v. dealer's tricked out room. As you said, though, I would think there are options in Miami.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.