Question about cartridge for Rega Planar 6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Musician95616, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thought I'd see what others here might think about cartridge options for my system. I am currently listening to a Rega Planar 6 turntable with the Ania. Going through the Rega Aria phonostage into a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated with Tung-Sol KT150s tubes (plus Mullard CV4003s in the preamp section).

Thoughts on the Ania? Recommendations/suggestions for other cartridges?

I listen to predominantly classic rock/pop, along with a healthy collection of jazz.

Xpression Carbon likes this.
  2. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Seems like you are well set...enjoy.

3. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I'm using a Rega RP6 with a Rega Exact 2 and am very happy with the combination. I'd recommend the Exact if you wanna try the MM route.

HBJ likes this.
  4. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

If it ain’t broke.....

Musician95616 likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I personally think you are fine. But if you want options, I'm running with a Benz-Micro Glider with a Phonomena 2+ on a P5. It's a great combination. The Phonomena 2+ is dead silent providing a black background for the Glider. And the ability to change loading allows you a lot of customization to match tonal qualities to your back end. You'll have to shim 2mm. And the Glider requires precise alignment. I'd recommend using a Mint Ultimate Tractor.

I have no idea if this would be an improvement. And the Glider isn't available in North America anymore. I had to buy one out of Hong Kong, but I got it at a discounted price. The total cost of the combo was about the price of the Aria. I would think the biggest difference would be the boron cantilever and the Micro Edge stylus.

6. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Yeah there's nowt wrong with the Ania by all accounts.
    I have the Exact on my P6 and it's awesome, whilst I have some other MMs lying around and whilst I'd like to hear the Ania I'm enjoying the Exact too much to care right now.

John Murray and HBJ like this.
  7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Lot of choices with Rega P6, microline or shibata included.
    Look at the AT33 range, or ART9.
    Hana range.
    The Goldring Legacy works great also.
    Alpheta 2 obviously.
    Lyra Delos.
    Dynavector Karat or DV20 range up to the rest of the range.
    Benz range.

Many great choices !

vinnn likes this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Not completely happy with the Ania? Word is that it takes a really loooooong time to break in.

But also that, once it does, it's quite good.

9. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually, I’m very happy with what I have. I was just curious if there was something else. The perpetual upgrade syndrome,

10. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I try to avoid this. My old cartridge was the Benz-Micro Gold. I really liked it, but I actually purchased for budget reasons. I was all ready $1500 in with the new deck. Originally I was going to get the B-M ACE. Decided I was way past my budget, so I ended up the Gold. I decided I needed to either retip the Gold or get a new one. B-M discontinued both the ACE and the Glider in North America, so I had to go grey market through Audiogon. The ACE listed was a higher output than I wanted (SM, I think), but they had a Glider SL for not a lot more. I put in an offer for close to the price of the ACE, and the offer was accepted. So now I have a Glider. My old phono stage didn't really have ideal gain for the Glider and eBay had a 15% off coupon (max $100). So I ended up getting the Phonomena 2+ at a really good price. Before that I was looking at used ones. I lost out on a couple of auctions, so when the coupon came up, I just bought a new one. While I don't continually upgrade my gear, I do it when I have to replace something.

11. mbrewer566

mbrewer566 Well-Known Member

I had the same P6/Ania/Aria combination for some time. A few months ago I jumped to P8/Apheta 2 with an Allnic H-1202 tube phono stage, and could tell a noticeable improvement. For what you have, I'd keep it and stay away from the temptation to try very minimal improvements. Save up and take the big leap when you are ready.

Musician95616 likes this.
  12. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I also like the Exact 2 with my P6. I chose the Exact because both my phono stages are MM but I'm very satisfied with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.