Question about Discogs transaction and advice.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by wayneklein, Jun 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

I buy often from Discogs but have never had this happen.

1) the seller reached out to me and indicated that he didn’t charge enough for shipping and asked for an additional $7 outside of Discogs. He had already shipped the item (although it took more than a week to ship them perhaps waiting on me to respond). I paid it because he had already shipped it and was afraid of a negative eating.

2) both items were deluxe 2 disc editons in a gatefold supposedly new and sealed. They were sealed but the spine had sign I can’t Sun explore on one and the other shipped without the booklet that Discogs listed and that each in the series had (both sre out of print)

i notified him that it shipped without the booklet (and purchased another one for the booklet elsewhere and plan on selling with a note that it comes without the booklet put in the gatefold sleeve). He didn’t offer apologies nor offer me any money back (I wasn’t asking for it but wanted to see whst he would reply back with) and claimed that both were new and sealed (not re-sealed). Now, of course, sometimes mistakes happen during manufacturing so I just noted that (he stated ‘thst was hard to believe’). I wasn’t accusing him of anything but just wanted him to be aware that, should he have others from the same series, he might get complaints about it.

I’m on the fence about what sort of rating I should leave on Discogs. While it was a pretty seamless experience except for whst I noted above, I also want to be fair in my assessment as I’ve not run into this situation before with a ‘new’ item (if it were used, different story-I’ve purchased stuff that’s been listed for example as Nm with black marker writing on the disc or booklet without noting it or thst didn’t fit that definition, etc.).i also dom’t want to penalize a seller for something that may have been beyond his control (I am taking him at his word that they weren’t used and resealed).

thoughts?

2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

what do you mean by this part?

chazz101s likes this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

You could always leave a neutral rating and list your experience…that way you’re leaving it up to others to decide. Personally this sounds like some sketchy stuff to me- for one thing, a seller should never ask for additional payment outside of the official payment method. I’d probably reach out to the seller and let them know you’re going to leave a negative rating…if they refuse to make it right through a partial refund, let that negative rating fly. That’s what it’s there for…

wayneklein likes this.
  4. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I’d probably just move on and not leave any rating. Is that an option? And I wouldn’t buy from this seller again.

wayneklein likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I can't really understand what you're saying about the booklet stuff.

But being held up for $7 additional shipping after the transaction was paid for would get a negative from my end. Sorry, the price is the price. I look at what you are charging including shipping and make my decision. I am not going to pay you more later. Plus, how does something sold media mail get mis-priced by $7 in shipping? That is MANY pounds.

Media Mail | Retail

Weight Not Over (lbs)

Single Piece

MrJerry1876, sonnyrock and Dave like this.
  6. wayneklein

Sorry I was typing on my phone and didn’t check,it. There was sun exposure -the spine is badly faded. Now thst could happen to a new item but is far more likely used IMhO.

7. wayneklein

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. There was a lot of weird stuff with this order that occurred. I might not order again just because, I they were resealed but hwve no proof. If they weren’t I also don’t want to ding the guy if he also just bought remaining stock for someone else.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Go neutral. As a buyer, I read neutral too. I'd want to know about this guy's weird shipping policy at the very least. Plus if it's neutral, there's a good chance Discogs will not take it down if he questioned it.

rcsrich and wayneklein like this.
  9. wayneklein

Thanks. Oddly I’ve never had a situation like this before.

10. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I would not have paid the additional $7, that’s outrageous to be honest, and would definitely go negative.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. wayneklein

Normally I wouldn’t have but, given that they had already shipped it when I received the message, I was concerned about this person hitting me with negative info.

12. kevinkasson

kevinkasson Forum Resident

Discogs would definitely have removed the negative on you if that happened, they're very clear right on their order page about only paying using the listed method and details.

I've seen times like this before where the Seller Terms list a shipping about the amount calculated on Discogs is way lower. I've wondered what would happen but never actually found anything to buy from those sellers. But I've seen the Terms say something like "$5.50 + $1 for each additional LP" and the calculated amount for a double album will be $1 or something. I think in that case the seller has the right to cancel the order and re-list it correctly, but asking for the difference outside of Discogs is definitely not allowed.

That said, like some others have said above it may well have been an honest mistake to have the wrong amount and if that was the end of it then so be it. But the problems with the items are the weird responses from the seller make it a little different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.