Question about McCartney Japan CD Mini LP style

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fungomatto, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fungomatto

fungomatto Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any of you have these Japan CD issued in MiniLP style maybe around mid '90? I think they released all the album 'til Press To Play(or better I've them 'til Press To Play). I've all but never listened or opened them. Any thoughts?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. fungomatto

So anyone has them? Just saw that they are from about 1991 so they predate the McCartney 1993 collection...

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Japan mini album replica's were not manufactured that early.
    Do you have a discogs link you can provide?

4. fungomatto

I have saw the date just on Discogs... shall I be wrong? I'll take a look again. I've tried with Press To Play and seems to have see it. I'll take a look again.

5. fungomatto

I should be wrong... I saw Tug Of War on Amoeba site and they say is from 2000... sorry for my error...

c-eling and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

7. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have the Wings Over America 3 disc mini-LP that was released in 1999. At the time it was hyped as being better than the standard 2 disc EMI Parlophone release but I don't recall that it is any different other than being spread over three discs. Have not listened to it in ages.

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Russia used to put out a lot of mini-Lp knockoffs before they became officially commonplace. Just to have a miniaturized version of the actual album cover, I ordered Ram. While the Cd sounded okay, the cover art duplication was pretty crummy...very dark and "cloudy" looking. Mini-Lp's have come a long way .

Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I'd be interested to know how that CD sounds compared with the 2017 one :

Paul McCartney - McCartney

...I just picked up a couple weeks back and have been listening to fairly regularly.

10. fungomatto

To me seem to be official japan Mini-LP.
    The cover arts are very sharp and bright as you'd expect from an official release. They sold me years ago as official. They were released in batch of four titles at times, following the chronologically order.

11. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I belive the paper sleeve mini lp cd versions came out on Toshiba in 1999 in Japan. Any one know which mastering was used? ie. are they like the Paul McCartney Collection stuff?

12. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

The 1999 mini-LPs all use the Paul McCartney Collection remasters (minus the bonus tracks) EXCEPT Wings Over America, which uses the late '80s Parlophone/Capitol master (audience/atmos patched in from elsewhere in the recording where the side breaks originally were is the giveaway), reconfigured to span 3 CDs (and possibly re-EQ'd).

Packaging is of course very nice, but probably not worth the premium they command these days if you're concerned about sound quality, IMO - particularly if you've already got the Archive Collection versions.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  13. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

While updating Eight Arms To Hold You this summer, I revisited the Japanese 3 CD mini-LP to make certain just what mastering it used. I verified that the patches from the Parlophone/Capitol mastering matched and I picked a song at random to check for EQ differences. They cancelled out in a null test so I did not proceed to check any other tracks. So as redeyedand blue noted, the original Japanese mini (early 2000, I think) used the Parlophone/Capitol mastering but re-formatted it to match the LP's three-disc configuration - but without any additional EQ.

Chip Madinger
    EIGHT ARMS TO HOLD YOU | remastered
    LENNONOLOGY | Strange Days Indeed
    www.lennonology.com

Flaming Torch and redeyedandblue like this.
  14. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

Thanks for the confirmation - good to know. I could never hear any difference between the two, but I'd never listened particularly critically and seemed to remember others had claimed they could, hence "possibly". But this appears to settle it once and for all.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks to all. I bought the Toshiba card sleeves back when they were issued. Packaging as usual for a product from Japan was excellent. Thank you all for confirming the mastering.
    The recent card sleeves using the Archive series remasters are even better in terms of packaging in my opinion. I am hoping at some point they do mini lp card sleeves for the forthcoming Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway as per the recent Thrillington and Greatest Hits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.