Question about my new Kenwood KP 990 turntable...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BlackStrat_Fan, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

After much deliberation I finally pulled the trigger on a completely restored Kenwood KP-990 off eBay. I'm pretty excited, but after screen grabbing the info I noticed in the delivery information that since this table was made for that Japan market (100 volts) it will come with a new 100w VT-100J converter.

My question: is it possible to easily update/rewire the voltage so that I won't have to use a converter? Or is this something I'll just have to live with? Is it not really a big deal? What are my options?

I did notice two other similar Kenwood tables for sale that were also Japanese market tables, but mentioned in the description that they were "updated to US voltage."

Bananas&blow, DougP and Mike from NYC like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That's a really nice table, congratulations, hope it provides years of enjoyment to come. There's someone around here with one of the Kenwood super tables,
    L-07D, those are pretty hard to come by now, and very costly!

I have a mid-70s Micro Seiki DD-10 which was Japan only too, and so I use one of those 100 to 120 V convertors (that same Chinese VCT type as yours, except I opted for the 200W model). I have plans to change the power transformer at some point, but who knows, lots of other projects. In my case, the turntable power transformer is in a separate box that can be remotely located for lowest noise, so it's a bit easier to change. I'll still need to measure the voltages and source one that provides the correct output voltage, I doubt there's much if any information out there on old Japanese power transformers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  3. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

It's not a big deal at all, just an extra box (small one) in your system. I'd just use it as is and enjoy your table.

Let us know how you like the table. I've looked at those and they look to be the real deal, a fine design from Kenwood.

4. BlackStrat_Fan

OK, thanks - not going to sweat it. Just needed a little confirmation I guess.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to get this table. I'm a fan of Direct Drive, and this looks to be a true TOTL design. Could not find a single negative review, and the YouTube videos (for what they are) really sold me. Took a leap of faith, but I don't think I'll be disappointed.

5. Davey

Yea, like I said, that's a beautiful table, and I saw what it sold for on ebay, seems like you got a really good deal based on the description. A table like that would go for a few thousand dollars in modern times, and it appears you got it for less than the price of an entry level Rega P3 with no cartridge. The power convertor does act as kind of an isolation transformer, so it can actually be of benefit, though the smaller size of your unit may not be as much of an advantage as one with a bigger core (one reason I bought a bigger unit). Still, it gives you an extra level of isolation from the incoming power, and with the low current draw, you shouldn't really be able to hear it make any noise (hopefully - mine is quiet).

Anyway, hope it all works out, and keep us posted with some of your own pictures once you have it set up and playing your favorites. What cartridge and preamp are you gonna start with? The ones in your signature?

6. BlackStrat_Fan

Davey, thanks for all the info. I had a conversation with the seller and any worries/concerns I had are put to rest. Your reply has me further at ease. Interestingly enough I had saved up for the new Rega P6. However I have never had a "new" turntable, and started second guessing spending 2G on a TT.

I'm a fan of Ortofon, enjoy the blue on my sl-1200, but might try a Denon DL-110. Going into a Marantz 220B.

Davey likes this.
  7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have had a Kenwood 750 since the 80s and it never gave me any problem. Enjoy.

8. Davey

Some of these old vintage tables are pretty amazing compared to what we've come to expect nowadays. I was just cleaning up my late 70s Micro Seiki DD-40 (as you may have noticed, I'm a big fan of Micro Seiki) and have the platter and tonearm removed, and you can see below what kind of structure the plinth has, thick high quality plywood bonded to a lower section of MDF, all machined out and then covered in rosewood veneer, they believed in making a strong base ...

[​IMG]

And on the DD-10 I mentioned above, look at the size of the transformer and the thickness of the steel enclosure, it's a different world ...

[​IMG]

Kostas and BlackStrat_Fan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.