Question about selling vinyl to record stores?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by James Glennon, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've seen shops with more than the VAT threshold displayed on their walls, not sure they are all VAT registered though.

2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

No it's not, It's about the same...NYC record stores are thieves...$1 or $2 for an album, the next day or two you see you're records in the racks for $15 to $20. Stick with ebay or Discogs.
    I will never sell to a record store in the NY & NJ metro area ever again.

jmczaja likes this.
  3. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Actually, if you read the rules on VAT registration in Ireland, it is 75,000 Euros. But the best bit is that you can deduct the VAT paid before calculating the threshold, i.e., a business with a turnover of 80,000 Euros can have a turnover for registration purposes below the 75,000 Euro limit.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Better hope that the tax inspector is not a record collector.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Still a lot less than the UK, I'm thinking about getting back into (non record) retail and unless the rates and rents are dirt cheap I'd not consider it at those VAT levels.

6. caravan70

caravan70 Forum Resident

Go the eBay route. You'll do better selling directly to a collector than going through a middleman. Takes a little more work (packaging and shipping), but in the end you'll make more money than if you sold to a record store.

Crimson Witch and mooseman like this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My thoughts exactly, try and explain you only take £1,000 a week when you have twenty or thirty records worth that each.:laugh:

caravan70 likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Used goods come under the VAT margin scheme. Only pay VAT on difference between price you pay and price you sell so 16.67% is payable on the difference only. Example profit margin £500 you would pay £83 VAT.

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, it's not worth it. And hiring staff is another level.

10. caravan70

caravan70 Forum Resident

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That would help. Of course, it is the equivalent of deducting the VAT on stock.

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member Thread Starter

STOP!:cop:

You will have my crying for the record store owners, it's about me not them!:uhhuh:

JG

13. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Unless you have original 60's pressings in nearmint shape or bootlegs or popular titles that the store can easily move, you'll be lucky to get 10% of what they're worth unless you wish to trade. If you have a really rare item, at best you'll only get 50% of it's value and of course most dealers will keep a poker face and never let you know which items are really valuable. You should do some value research on your own first. You would probably do well to sell the entire lot on eBay, you'll get a much better deal for the lot than a record store in general. I bought a batch of over 100 worthless junk 45's on eBay because one crown jewel was in the pack....and the dealer didn't know it

mooseman likes this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A lot of it depends on the general availability of the album. A lot of people have the impression that their old standard-release Beatle albums will bring them in a good buck..but unless they're sealed or in immaculate condition, they're not worth much at all because "everyone" has them and there's a ton of them around in pretty good shape in used record stores.

mooseman likes this.
  15. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

No.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Actually some recent titles are worth a lot more than even scarce old titles. Anything from the 90s to last year that is OOP. Record stores may not recognise this or just take advantage of the seller to make a fast buck by flipping on Ebay.

17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think you might have missed the point of my post. The answer to your question is in there. Whether you played it once or three times, no difference except in an auction or online setting.

18. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

Just curious about which stores you are trading with? (apologies to the non-Dublin based people).
    RAGE, Freebird, Spindizzy? Any others?

19. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I bought this crappy record for a dollar on eBay, plus 3.22 shipping. So I was out less than 5 bucks.

[​IMG]
    I played it one time, discovered it is complete garbage so I took it to FYE in the mall to "trade". They gave me $9 trade credit so I came out ahead. Went in a week later and I saw it priced for $19.99. I laughed. Not because I got ripped off (because I didn't) but because someone else was about to get ripped off. Went in the next week and it was gone so some sorry sap bought it for 20 bucks.

20. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

To be fair, a store is paying cash in hand on the expectation that something is going to sell at some time in the future.

In my experience, I'd consider it lucky to sell 10% of any given used collection within six months. Simply put (and more today than 10 years ago), it's harder to sell used records to customers than new records.

I've had to break it gently to many people over the years that their scuffed up 70s Beatles records are not going to fund their Waikiki beachfront condo like Antiques Roadshow led them to believe...

21. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

guess that depends on the store. At Amoeba, tons and tons and tons of foot traffic. At the San Francisco store, sometimes Hollywood store too, there is a line of people waiting to browse through the "Recent (Used) Arrivals" section.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    krlpuretone likes this.
  22. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The OP is in Ireland. Probably not worth it to fly to SF or LA to sell 30 albums... :wiggle:

I agree Amoeba is the highest-volume store(s) in the world, but they are still charging big city prices (plus California sales tax) on used stuff.

23. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

If the owner is looking at your collection with a confused look so is most of the public. He might have put the Robert Wyatt on the shelf for $22 but it may sit there for a long time no matter what the price is. The owner has to justify his purchases with reasonable sales. If it was a nice copy of Zeppelin II for $22 he would probably pay more and would probably sell it quicker than your 2 week revisit.

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

This is an example of an album usually not bought for its sound quality or contents per se (supposedly its not even Hendrix on guitar!) but as a collectible related to a particular artist. Much like releases from different countries. I suppose a collector could hunt one down for less but if you're there in the store, and there it is in your hands, and the price is still relatively nominal, its easy to sell. I see that all the time.

25. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

E bay seems a genuine market, where items go for what the "market" thinks they are worth, depending on availability, condition etc, and where as seller you can set conditions too if you want (time and duration of sale, buy it now, reserve price, postage etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.