Question about setup/upgrades for Rega P3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by freza_oboe, Nov 25, 2022.

1. freza_oboe

freza_oboe Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your diverse feedback!!!! I did not anticipate that choosing components will be so important.

Just to share the update, I bought KEF Q350 from Crutchfield on a sale for $479. It was a battle between KEF Q350, Wharfdale Diamond 12.2, and B&W 607 S2. Man, so many reviews, so many Youtube sounds comparisons, my head is about to explode.

The rational behind the decision: B&W 607 S2 have apparently really "in your face" treble, Wharfdale Diamond 12.2 may sound a bit muffly, and KEF Q350 may lack a bass. But I really had to make a decision. Almost pulled the trigger on KEF LS50 Meta after the Crutchfield rep told me that Rega IO is really good amp and the combo should work for my small room. It's just spending $1,300 versus $479...you know. Anyway, Crutchfield's free 2-day shipping to Brooklyn, NY and 60-day return policy got me sold. I can always return the speakers if I do not like them and go with something else.

Those KEF LS50 Meta are so tempting, but is it worth it for the amp....

Anyhow, will keep you posted on how I like the KEFs....cheers mates!!!!

Echoes Myron and james like this.
  2. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Wow!

OK, I've only heard a Planar 3, with / without a Neo for a couple of hours, but I thought the musical improvement to be very worthwhile. Same when a friend went from TT PSU to Neo on a 6.

Regardless, happy listening to all.

SCM likes this.
  3. Rockbluebird

Rockbluebird Well-Known Member

P3 owner here.Good choices your on your way.
    Herbie carbon fiber record mat.
    I think you will love it!

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This seems like a good place to ask this question.

I have a Rega Rp3 with an RB300. I have seen some ads recently for the plinth and sub platter from a RP6. It's sold as an "upgrade". I'm unconvinced simply changing these two components would make an "upgrade" worthwhile. I know the design is different, but as far as bang for the buck goes, surely I'd be better spending money on a different tone arm? Any opinions of the Plinth upgrade?

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

6. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

I had a P3 and did the Tangospinner thing along with a counterweight for the tone arm.
    My feeling is save up and go for a P8. The P6 is pretty close to the P3 so better to skip over it.
    Save your upgrade money and just get a nicer TT.
    Or use that money and get a better phono stage. The P3/RP3 is a nice table with a good arm and will benefit from a phono stage upgrade.

GordonM, lazycat57 and Vaughan like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I consider the RP3 to be a good entry level turntable. As such, and upgrade would be of interest. Interesting to read your view on the P8, makes sense when you think about it. The P6 would be an incremental update, but jumping to a P8 would likely be more stark.

theflattire likes this.
  8. theflattire

theflattire Forum Resident

The P3/RP3 is a nice table.
    Add a nice cart and phono stage and it might surprise you.

HiFi Guy, Liquid Len and Vaughan like this.
  9. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

I have a 1990s vintage Planar 3. Over time I replaced the tonearm wiring, fitted the Origin Live arm stub and counterweight upgrade, new adjustable cone feet and a Tangospinner subplatter and the deck absolutely sings. I agree that beyond this, upgrading is perhaps not the best way forward with this deck, but it certainly keeps me musically satisfied as it is!

GordonM and theflattire like this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

What feet did you go with? I hate the standard feet.

11. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Upgrades to the P3 do make a difference (I have a P3-24 that is probably approaching 15 years of service at this point). Spending a couple hundred every so often on the subplatter upgrade, outboard power supply, etc, is a lot more budget friendly than spending thousands all at once on a substantially better table. It’s kept me happy with the P3 for a good long time now.

Fishoutofwater and SCM like this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I did upgrade the power supply. As much as anything because I wanted to play 45's with no fuss. However, overall I think mine was a little tired anyway. Pegs 33 and third right on these days, and now I can play those albums I have that are 45's!

Interesting about the subplatter, a simple upgrade, but if it's truly effective then a possible option.

13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Subplatter upgrade will be meaningful for your RP3.

Vaughan likes this.
  14. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Rega RP6 and P6 has nothing in common apart from the lid hinges and #6.

More in common but P3 is much better than earlier RP3
    Personally I'd not use money on any so called upgrades, but change up one level in range.

I don't like skeletal looks so P8/P10 is a dealbreaker, for me P6 is a fine deck but hope for a 50th anniversary edition with higher specs in ordinary shaped looks.
    Meanwhile I'm getting used to my new Technics 1200, sound very different to Rega but pretty good indeed.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's all a matter of personal taste, isn't it. I loathe the look of the Technics 1200, it's way too 1970 for me. Would love a P8 though. Not sure I could swing the cost though!

GordonM likes this.
  16. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Always disliked them, didn't like their performance too, been Rega listener for decades.
    By coincidence I've got a GR and decided to give it a chance, looks and sound.
    Performance wise took seconds, its really good, looks...hmm less important now, the 100C looks a bit "naked aside.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  17. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Get the Groovetracer subplatter the good one. It`s the one to get.
    What it does is uncanny...quieter back grounds and more. Just Google reviews :righton:

The NEO power supply will do the same type of things as the subplatter.

Just keep the boxes and if you want to sell later on you`ll get a big percentage back no problem.
    They (Groovetracer) make an Acrylic platter, at least they used too.

I`d stay with the Rega felt matt too.

18. Liquid Len

Hi Vaughan; I went for some fairly inexpensive, generic gold-plated brass cones with adjustable tips for leveling and matching 'shoes'. They match the gold-plated arm stub & counterweight which is a bonus. Tightened the sound up a bit but not majorly.

Vaughan likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I just want something I can adjust, to be honest. I'm not a fan of the three feet thing either.

20. Liquid Len

I just went for four of these: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4BQAAOSwPWRZUnnt/s-l300.jpg

The bottom third of each cone is threaded to allow small changes to be made to height of all four independently in order to level the plinth.I think they're available in a silver finish too.

Fairly cheap with lots of similar alternatives so well worth experimenting.

Vaughan likes this.
  21. freza_oboe

freza_oboe Forum Resident Thread Starter

Friends! Just to prove a little update on the journey of finding the right speakers.

First set of speakers I got were B&W 607 S2 and I did not lime them! The metallic sound and shrill was just too fatiguing for me. The second set I tried were KEF Q350 which I liked very much but they seemed to be too big got the room. Their sound was superb, though! The third set of speakers, KEF Q150 were sent back due to the lack of bass. They were driven very well by Rega IO, though! The fourth set of speakers I am auditioning right now are KEF LS50Meta. The bass, treble, miss, and highs are very crisp! I can tell that they need much more juice as I had to turn the volume knob a notch coming from KEF Q150.

Now, the knob is about a quarter turn up (equivalent to a clock hand being in the 9th position) and get between 80-85 db based on an app on iPhone, which is just enough for the room. The speakers sounds fantastic!!!! I was very skeptical as I heard that the Rega IO with (conservatively) rated 30W per channel may not be strong enough. But after watching Steve Gutenberg's review, I decided to to try this combo, and oh man how glad I am that I did. I absolutely LOVE these speakers.

Currently spinning Andrew Hill's Passing Ships tone poet and boy how good this album sounds!!!!!

Here are some photos, hope it goes through....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Echoes Myron and GyroSE like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I feel KEF and Rega pair very well. Great balance of detail and tone.

I loved my LS50 with the Elicit-R and now the big brothers Reference 1 with Aethos.

Still own and still love the LS50s :)

GordonM likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I added a TangoSpinner subplatter to my RP3 yesterday. I only got the platter, and as soon as it arrived I wished I'd gotten the bearing as well (just because), but there ya go with orders you haven't completely thought through. I played a couple albums yesterday.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If your room is medium-sized or larger, my favorite speakers are Magnepans. They give you a big taste of larger, much more expensive speakers. They're tight, tuneful, punchy, and extremely fast, so they'll excel at rhythm. The larger ones will give you more bottom end oomph, so there's a tradeoff. They'll provide you with a life-size image, and they'll absolutely disappear sonically in your room, as they're boxless.

You'll need an amp with some grunt, though.

Here's their bottom of the line, about $600, if I recall. They are incredibly robust, and keep a lot of their value in resale.

Magnepan LRS+

25. fish

fish Senior Member

I started off with a hardly used Planer 3, settled on these upgrades. In order of importance.
    Its SO MUCH better than it was. I was almost disappointed with it stock, but not anymore.
    Its very good.

Audio-Technica AT-OC9XSL
    Michael Wharton Incognito RB303 arm rewire.
    GrooveTracer Reference Sub-platter.
    Edwards Audio Little Belter.
    Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Matt.
    TAD Audio Rega Vta Spacers.

SCM likes this.