DCC Archive Question concerning Beatles EP collection on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jligon, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jligon

jligon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen mention of The Beatles EP collection as a "pre-order" to be released soon on certain sites (Red Trumpet, etc.) and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I know they've been out on CD before. Are these the same ones simply being re-released?
    Also, if you have the EP collection on CD, how does it compare to both the original EPs (on vinyl) and the other Beatles' CD's soundwise.
    Thanks for any info!
    -Jon

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

No comments on the sound, but it's nice to be able to get MMT (the EP part of it) in mono. A store I frequented had the EP set collecting dust for years. They finally busted it open and sold the discs individually, so I picked up the mono and stereo MMT CDs for $10 total, IIRC.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

All the songs on the bonus stereo ep sound better than the other CD versions found elsewhere. Not that DCC couldn't do 'em better. But it's the best we've got. Also there's and count in by Paul McCartney at the beginning of "She's A Woman".

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The Singles and EP box sets seem to go in and out of print every three years. I have both of them and it's a great way to hear a lot of the original mono mixes on an "official" CD. As Steve noted long ago (on the old forum in another galaxy) that they didn't use the correct mono mix of "Please Please Me" and "Ask Me Why" (These are the "doctored" versions that were added to the lp to match the tone of the other songs). I remember the London Tower Records (sneaky) was selling the discs separately back in '92!

Todd

5. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I've got both the singles & ep cd sets. I've compared some tracks to those vinyl-cdr rips that are about, like Rubber Soul, Help, Revolver. From what I can hear they're very similiar. Which makes sense, as Steve H. said awhile ago they're ok flat xfers. So I'd guess there wouldn't much diff between the vinyl or cd ep box sets. Also in comparison to the regular cds, the singles & eps are better.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I remember (I haven't listened to it recently) the bass on 'Baby You're a Rich Man' sounds very nice on the EP bonus disc. A few years ago I compiled both collections to CD-R because it was getting to be a pain pulling everything out of the box and switch CD's every ten or minutes. It's a good collection. I'm glad there was an effort to get the mono mixes out at least from the singles and EP's. I wish they made another box or two with the mono albums...

Todd

bhazen likes this.
  7. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

the mono mix of "paperback writer" b/w "rain" is amazing.

later, chris

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

The EP collection is nice, but as has been said, it doesn't have much that the Singles collection misses. IIRC, the exclusive bits are:

a) The count off on She's a Woman
    b) The mono Long Tall Sally material
    c) The mono MMT material
    d) SLIGHT stereo MMT material improvement
    e) The first instance of the improved SLY (the same one that shows up on the Red Album CD, that is different from and IMO better than the 1 version...edits are disguised fantastically well).
    Lots of stores in Greenwich Village sell the sets as separate components, so...

-D

9. xios

xios Senior Member

Don't forget that the Yesterday and Nowhere Man eps feature mono cuts from Help and Rubber Soul not found elsewhere on cd.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And boy do they sound better than those funky stereo remixes, eh? ;)

11. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

They do, but they're bright.

Bumping an ancient thread just to see if anyone gets a laugh from it.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! blast from the past...I'm laughing.:)

13. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Man, I loved my EP box - I should pull it back out. Is there still anything on the EPs that didn't make it to the new reissues?

14. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I think the only thing would be the count intro to "She's A Woman" which was on the bonus EP.
    I always thought this collection sounded pretty good....don't remember them being bright at all.....

JF

JimC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.