Question for Experienced DAP Users or Engineering Types: How long should my DAP last? *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Revealer, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely Thread Starter

I purchased an iBasso dx90 from a user on another popular 'audiophile' forum - although the exchange happened on ebay. I recognized his user name there and read through his comments on the forum about the DAP wondering why he might be selling it. Just the kind of user who likes to keep finding new comfort zones, it seems.

I like to use the DAP for 30-40 minutes at a time in general maybe two or three times a day. Sometimes though, I like to use it as an alternate output from my PC to my older NAD 3130 integrated amp instead of bit-streaming files from my PC to my AVR.

I LOVE this DAP. Seeing as how I got it in October and it was already 3-4 years old at that point, I'm wondering how my everyday use of it - especially turning it on and off throughout the day - will affect whatever is left of its lifespan which....was what exactly from the beginning? I think I read somewhere that electronics like this get about 10,000 on/off uses?

For what it's worth, the device was modded in the following way as described in the ebay listing:
    "It was modified with an upgraded internal power supply for more powerful cleaner deeper bass and extended highs than the stock model. This modification ($200 value) was performed by an enthusiast in Moscow and involved upgrading all capacitors, resistors, and regulators in the power supply to improve power stability and signal clarity. It sounds incredible!"

Help me have a realistic expectation of how much my use of this is going to wear it out, please. I've come to regard it very highly. I'd be sad to 'use it up.'

Obviously, I don't expect a specific answer. I'm just interested in any discussion relating to lifespans of these kinds of electronics and other people's usage patterns/experiences that might be informative. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  2. The Revealer

Title change bump.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

With solid state storage and no moving parts in a relatively premium and fairly up-to-date device, it seems a little neurotic to fret about your DAP’s imminent death.

Also, rolling the dice on a used modded-in-Moscow player is not the cautious act of someone seeking a cozy sense of warranty-blanketed security in an electronics purchase. If you’re gonna live dangerously, own it and count your blessings for as long as it lasts!

Joy-of-radio, timind and The Revealer like this.
  4. The Revealer

Well, you pretty much nailed the contradiction that is at the heart of my neurotic concern!

I'm not really at "imminent death" status of anxiety. There's a lot of competing opinions, and little information, regarding the extent to which planned obsolescence drives the consumer electronics market.

I am growing attached to my latest addition and hope it lasts a good long time. I appreciate your initial description which suggests it at least began its existence as a long term purchase.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My cheapo no-name Chinese DAP is several years old now and still going strong. I’d say you’re good.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  6. The Revealer

As long as I'm not in the middle of some strange, new Manchurian candidate scenario scrambling my brainwaves whenever I listen to music. Then again, I'm able to use Facebook without any apparent ill effects. So, I'm probably ok! o_O

Thanks for the feedback.

Stone Turntable likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.