Question for Experts: Which Pressing Plants Used What 1937-43 Victor 'Ring' Label Variant?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by W.B., Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector Thread Starter

This question is relevant because of a post in a website devoted to 78 RPM records relating to the 1947 label standardization of RCA Victor labels and identifying which pressing plant a copy came from, from differences in the concentric circles in the label:
    https://78-records.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/the-rca-victor-label-rings-1947-standardization-notice/
    It would appear that in their first "circular" label design inaugurated in mid-1937 (that replaced the 1920's "scroll" design), the similar principles were at work. Think of this late 1930's release:
    Glahe Musette Orchestra - Play Me (V-725)
    where the two concentric rings break at the same point on each end to make room for the "RCA Manufacturing Co., Inc." rim print notice. Around 1939-40 there first emerged this alternate variant:
    Tommy Dorsey And His Orchestra - I'll Never Smile Again (26628)
    where the rings' break was different; then about a year later, this other variation:
    Joe Reichman And His Orchestra - Tonight We Love (27618)
    where there was a brief break at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock in the dual concentric rings (and, from 1941 on, on all label design variants, a deletion of the 1637544 patent notice which explains the gap in the two-line rim print explaining which patents these records were manufactured under).

The question was, would anyone know from which plant they would have signified? I have to assume the first set (Glahe Musette) would have been from Camden, as that plant was in operation the whole time of this period. What would become their biggest plant, in Indianapolis, IN, opened at 501 North LaSalle Street on Aug. 5, 1939, and there I presume the Dorsey record was pressed. Around that period, many top Victor acts had recordings made at 1016 North Sycamore in Hollywood, around where their West Coast pressing plant was located; would the Reichman record with the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock breaks have come from there? (I ask this because Discogs claims RCA Victor started pressing in Hollywood in June 1947, and I know they had some operations in their setup long before that.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.