Question for first generation Beatles fans (what did you think of "Tomorrow Never Knows") *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, May 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident Thread Starter

What exactly went through your mind the.very first time you heard Tomorrow Never Knows in summer/fall 1966?

2. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i hope this stuff wears off.

3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Noisy!

I think it might have been my favourite track then. I was five, and I did like “Yell Submarine” but maybe tired of it by the time we got the album.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

First heard it when it came out. The whole album was so different that you knew this was something different, but you got an inkling that things were changing with Rubber Soul. ​

mark winstanley, Nathan Z and DK Pete like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I I first heard it the first time I heard the entire (Capitol version) Revolver album in 1968. I was 10. Not sure what the cutoff age is to be considered first generation.

6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The first time I thought something like "what is this?". After listening 3-4-5 times I got it. Partly, but enough.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I heard it at age 16 when it first came out in 1966. I wondered what they were taking and where can I get some. By later that summer both questions were answered.

9. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I had just turned 15 when Revolver was released. Paperback Writer/ Rain had been released 6 months earlier, in May. As my BF and I listened to Revolver, we heard the drums high in the mix, the phasing, the backward vocals, the cryptic lyrics and the “tough” sounding guitars that had all been present on Paperback Writer/ Rain.

In short, we were used to the idea that their music was changing a lot. And we liked it.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

From what I can remember, I thought it was too repetitious but the effects were interesting. I was familiar with drone music though in some classical and jazz so it was nothing new to me in that sense. I thought it was cool they tried it.

11. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

I was 17 when Revolver was released. The whole album blew me away although I was thinking they would not be as successful with this LP. Then, Tomorrow Never Knows hits and it was like entering a whole new universe of music.

12. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Interesting! You were young, probably not even a teenager at the time. It is surprising, to me, that you would love that song at such a young age. When I first heard Tomorrow Never Knows, it took me a while to appreciate it.

I loved the earlier songs and grew to love the more ‘far out’ songs as I got older.

It sounds like you understood the magic as it was happening. Good for you.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks my friend. ; )

John B and mark winstanley like this.
  14. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

I was 15. I thought it was one of the most fantastic things I had ever heard.

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Well, at that age, everything is strange and new

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I first heard it in 1967. I was ten years old. Although it was obvious they had progressed beyond "She Loves You, yeah yeah yeah", it was just another Beatles song to me.

17. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I was 14 in 1966, and I generally recall liking it a lot, but thinking it was pretty weird... but cool.

18. thewonders

thewonders Someone that I used to know

I thought it was very interesting and I liked it.

tug_of_war and mark winstanley like this.
  19. First heard in 1966 I believe although maybe it slipped into 1967, and liked it. I would have been 14 or 15.

tug_of_war and DK Pete like this.
  20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

The same as Don Draper’s?

21. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I first heard it, aged 16 in 1982, it blew my mind.

DK Pete and mark winstanley like this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I didn’t think the chords were terribly interesting. ;)

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

LOL

24. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

I loved it

MortSahlFan likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Nice to read the responses.
    I only discovered all this stuff in the early eighties... took me a couple of years to appreciate the "weird" stuff. Now it is my preferred stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.