Question for first generation Beatles fans (what did you think of "Tomorrow Never Knows") *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, May 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

A DJ on WQAM in Miami played it in 66 and said, "try and guess who this is". As soon as I heard that voice I knew. First time I heard it...6th grade.
    I doubt I was real surprised or shocked after "Rain". Probably seemed like a more far-out type of "Rain". I owned that 45. We sensed they/John were pushing the limits. Progressing.

Buddybud likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

It kind of went over my head at age 13, to be honest. At some point the following year (1967), I'd been introduced to the combustible salad and listened to it on headphones. Blew my little mind.

3. !!!
    So you were still very young for the mature solo albums, like "Plastic Ono band"!

t-man 54 and guitarman1969 like this.
  4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

And it was the first song recorded for the album.

5. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Second generation fan here. When I first heard the song in 1975, I was 12 years old and completely amazed by it.

6. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

@Monasmee @musicfan37 I didn't hear Revolver until Xmas '82 when I was 13 but I had the same kind of epiphany. I actually prefer it to Pepper; along with the tonal colour, Revolver has a darkness about it that I find very compelling.

7. guitarman1969

guitarman1969 Forum Resident

Just realised I'd already replied to this thread! Duh! I've probably listened to TNK too many times.

DK Pete and Olivier Northern Son like this.
  8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I guess I'm a first-gen fan, clearly remembering the 1st Sullivan appearance as it was broadcast. However I did not hear the Revolver album until sometime after Sgt. Pepper' s was released, with the exception of the Yellow Submarine /Eleanor Rigby single. My intro to Revolver was a mint mono-mix UK pressing, and I recall feeling a bit scared with the direction they were now-then heading on Tomorrow Never Knows. There was something wicked in the drone of one chord throughout, with one descended change and return. John singing through a cardboard cone megaphone was really the end of yeah, yeah, yeah and woooooh!, wasn't it ? To very young ears, they had me a bit worried until a few years along when things took a turn yeah. And if I recall that was featured as a song on an episode of The Beatles TV cartoon series, in some form or another.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    ODIrony likes this.
  9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I was 6 in '66 and I thought it was noisy. Combined with Crapitol Craptastic mastering on a kiddie phono it was nothing to write home about. Later, I got the message;)

10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Groundbreaking but a bit of a dirge. Not my favourite from the album.

11. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

I believe TNK was the last episode filmed for the series.

(Sorry to say the song itself has been cut from this version of the video. Somewhere on Youtube they did have the whole bit, but I couldn't find it today.)

trumpet sounds and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. Twilight

Twilight Forum Resident

I thought it was interesting but didn't really have strong feelings about it either way. I was a little young to appreciate how "revolutionary" it was; everything sounded different than the music my parents listened to! But it wasn't then, and isn't now, my favorite track on the album (although I'd certainly place it well above Dr. Robert. :) )

13. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

;)
    Actually, in 1970, I wouldn't buy any of the solo albums. Back then, I preferred the Beatles back together, so I drew the line ;)

14. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

I was 8 years old, had the album upon release, and thought Tomorrow never Knows was "far out!"

Very positive response from me.

Bill

15. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

Funny about tastes, but where I loved Tomorrow Never Knows upon release, I utterly despised Taxman. Still don't like it.

Bill

ARK and t-man 54 like this.
  16. Not easy to understand the taxpayer fears at the age of 6.

ODIrony and t-man 54 like this.
  17. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

56 years of life since have not warmed my initial impressions of Taxman.

Bill

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

This is one of those songs I remember distinctly the first time I heard it. It was probably late 67 or early 68, I was in the car with my dad when the song came on the radio. The fact I can recall exactly where I was is testament to the effect it had on me. I was 13; it was a bit of a mind blower.

Twilight likes this.
  19. I'm also amazed such a song went on the radio.

Twilight likes this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, I first heard it when it was the latest Beatles album, but I was barely four years old. Surely that's too young for what he's looking for (and at any rate I can't remember particular thoughts I had at that time that would have amounted to contextualizing single tunes).

But I wouldn't say ten is too young. By the time I was ten I had already been playing a couple different instruments for a handful of years, I had already started writing songs, and I had all sorts of analytical/critical thoughts about music.

DK Pete likes this.
  21. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well.... I am the Obelix* of Beatles fan: I was immerged at a very early age. :D
    In fact, my parents disovered the Beatles and bought the White album and listened to it constantly when my mum was expecting me.
    So I can safely say that I discovered the Beatles while in utero ! :wiggle:

And then I grew up with them. Litteraly. Exposed to all their albums at every age from 0 to.... now.

*french comic book character from Asterix ;)

22. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Huge Beatle fan at 8 years old when Revolver was released.

The way Revolver sounded, how it was tracked and mixed, was nothing like their previous records. Rubber Soul was warm, round and fat sounding, tons of acoustic guitars. Revolver was much more aggressive, bright, with Martin and Emerick going big on compression when tracking and mixing. The sound was much more in your face, with an sonic edge to it. Big statement being “ this is something completely new teeny boppers”

capping it all off was TNK, my first “virtual” LSD experience at 8 years old. Mind officially blown.

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

My older brother bought the album. I was only 8 at the time, but I thought it was fantastic!

24. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Hmm, this is a bit weird...

Wonderful
    Loved it. Still do

25. I suspected The Beatles may have finally blown their minds out with too much drugs. Sgt. Pepper later confirmed my suspicions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.