Question for Ken Scott regarding the piano on Hunky Dory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

I was listening to the RCA CD of Hunky Dory tonight, and I was remarking to my wife that I have been enjoying the sound of the piano on this particular CD compared to other versions of Hunky Dory.

One thing, though, that is a wonky sounding piano. What I mean by that is it sounds out of tune or perhaps odd in some way. It does mesh perfectly with the other sounds on that record, but it does make me wonder. What kind of piano was it, and how did you get that sound?

Thanks, and it's been great to read your comments on the forum. :cool:

2. Another Side

3. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Sounds like a Steinway that Rick Wakeman is playing on the album.

4. Ken Scott

Ken Scott Recording Legend

It was a Bechstein grand that, according to Recording The Beatles, was built in 1898. It had a tremendously bright sound that unfortunately was lost when the sound board had to be replaced. Because of it's inherent sound it was remarkably easy to record. Two, maybe three, microphones and just a little eq.

The discography for the piano is astounding.
    Bowie - Space Oddity to Aladdin Sane
    Elton - Elton John to Madman
    Beatles - Hey Jude
    Queen, Supertramp, Carly Simon, Genesis, Harry Nilsson and so on.

I have heard many pianos in my time but I have never heard a better "rock" piano than that one.

Cheers,

Ken

5. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Interesting. It didn't occur to me that the bands would use a "studio" piano. Especially groups like Supertramp or Elton John.

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

An excellent house piano is usually a strong selling point for an artists booking a studio in some cases. Thanks for the great info Mr. Scott!

7. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

Thanks so much for your insight!

What happened to the piano after Trident closed?

Also, the piano sound on "Honky Chateau" isn't too shabby either! :winkgrin:

Joe

8. Another Side

That's fascinating! It's the same piano that was used on Your Song and Hey Jude! I suppose the sound on Hunky Dory is due more to Rick Wakeman's style than the piano itself, since the piano sounds very different on the various recordings that it was used for.

9. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

I think that Roy Thomas Baker now has it - I remember reading promo about the last album from The Darkness that states that Justin Hawkins played the "Freddie" piano on those sessions, and RTB was the producer of that album. If you remember the credits on Queen's "A Night At The Opera," Freddie was credited with "Bechstein debauchery," certainly a reference to the Trident piano.

10. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Its a great effect on that piano on 'Eight Line Poem', some kind of chorus or flanger? Sounds wonderful on vinyl but the virgin/emi cd gives it a very glassy and brittle sound which is not too nice..

11. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Thank you Ken for giving us first-hand infos about our favorite albums!

12. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

So this is the same piano that Bowie plays on tracks like "Oh, You Pretty Things"? (and presumably "8 Line Poem") You'd think it was a different piano on "Life on Mars", "Quicksand" and "Fill Your Heart" but I suppose that's down to Rick Wakeman's deft touch!

13. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

How well does Bowie play the piano?

14. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Now that's an interesting piece of information! The same piano on so many great albums from the 70's! They have written books about musicians, studios and producers, but has there ever been a book about a specific musical instrument? This piano sure deserves one!

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  15. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

You might wish to start a new and very interesting thread Emilio :wave:

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I took the liberty of doing so here... :wave:

17. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Not as well as Rick Wakeman, that's for sure! :winkgrin:

He plays what might be charitably termed "songwriter's piano", to borrow a phrase from Elvis Costello (who is another occasional pianist). Bowie can certainly play piano, as can be heard on some of his demos plus the occasional album track, but he usually gets someone else to do the job. The same could be said for his guitar playing. It's telling that Mick Ronson plays the piano parts on the "Ziggy Stardust" album...

Bowie did play keys on one Iggy Pop tour back in '77, but I haven't heard what his efforts sounded like. I doubt that he did anything fancy...

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.