Question for Mr. Humorem: your reference system for qualifying better records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul Chang, Mar 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been Thread Starter

Tom,

I am starting this thread here for some of us entrust you with picking "better records" and others have reservations. I feel it could be informative to gain an insight into your stereo system, at least in getting an idea of what your system may sound like. I know a few things about it but what I got is an "incomplete picture":
    (a) You constantly change your system.
    (b) Your analog front end consists of phono cartridge (brand, model?), VPI JWM tonearm + Aries turntable on a Townshend Seismic Sink.
    (c) You upgraded your phono and line stages from Ground Zero to Herron in 2001.
    (d) The massive power amps (custom made?) runs on dedicated AC power to your listening room. Other equipments are battery-powered.
    (e) There are eight 15" woofers in your loudspeakers (Legacy Whispers).
    (f) You recommend and use the TDK Digital Audio CD Recorder (DA-3826).
    (g) You put the Magic Pillows under your CD player, amps and battery inverter.

Here are my questions:
    (1) How many systems do you have?
    (2) Is anything I listed above incorrect or outdated? What was the most significant change you made recently, if any?
    (3) What phono cartridge(s) and power amps do you use?
    (4) Did I miss anything important?
    (5) If you remember, what was the longest period of time that your system stayed constant? What was the composition of that system?
    (6) Do you use any important tweaks other than the Disc Doctor recording cleaning fluid?
    (7) Do you care to show us some photos to "complete the picture"? You know, I heard some pretty nasty rumor about your system. ;)

2. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Tom Port controlls the universe

Paul,

You are about one third right, at first glance.

As soon as I have time I will give everyone a thorough run down on my system! Soon! I am very proud of it, as anyone who knows me will tell you. (I can be exceedingly tiresome on this subject, as they will tell you too.)

Nasty rumors? I thought I was the only person who spread those. ;)

TP

3. Paul Chang

Thanks, Tom. Can't wait to get the lowdown.

Only about a third right? Man I'm in the wrong business. I could make a nice living hitting .333 in MLB. :rolleyes:

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Paul, since you mentioned it, I have to ask: What are the nasty rumors you heard about Tom's system?

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Re: Tom Port controlls the universe

Stop being so modest, Tom! Live a little, huh?

Gary

;)

6. Humorem

Humorem New Member

If Andy Richter can do it, so can I!
    TP

7. Angel

Angel New Member

Yeah, the universe between his ears. What a character.

Can't wait to read what he posts next!

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah Angel. We're all Kings in that universe!;)

9. Paul Chang

But Your Majesties, who crowned the kings and queens? ;)

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Oh, self-crowned. :rolleyes:

11. Paul Chang

Well, since you have asked, I'm using my post No 200 (Is this time for real, your Zness?) to help spread the rumor (singular), using character(s) from the movie(s) that Tom loathes so such.

Darth Vader transmitted a message repeatedly to every corner of the universe, deeming The Supreme Controller Humorem's two channel sound system more primitive than the in-dash "car" stereo in the Podracer which young Anakin raced to win his freedom with.

12. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

So you're saying that the rumour is that Tom has a Flintstones turntable where he lifts the bird's beak up and out of the way to swap out records? The bird then turns to the camera and shrugs "it was either this or be a Pediatrician!"

13. Paul Chang

No no no no no! You have to ask Vader for the truth, uh the rumor, uh the true version of the rumor. Ah .......

14. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Originally posted by Paul Chang
    I know a few things about it but what I got is an "incomplete picture":
    (a) You constantly change your system.

Yes I do! Every time you change out something in your system, it should be because your new piece allows you to hear something better than you could before. This happens to me all the time. If you have the same stuff for years, it's like having glasses that are no longer correct for your vision, but you don't know! You get used to it! This is very bad, IMO.

(b) Your analog front end consists of phono cartridge (brand, model?)

Lyra Helikon

VPI JWM tonearm + Aries turntable on a Townshend Seismic Sink.

On a custom built stand (I can tell anyone how to build a great turntable stand for cheap, and someday I will.)

The stand-alone motor powered by the VPI SDS is further isolated by Aurios underneath the table, on top of the sink. This combination is revolutionary, IMO. This table and all the tweaks sounds five times better than my old Oracle. 5 times.

(c) You upgraded your phono and line stages from Ground Zero to Herron in 2001.

I don't use the Herron anymore. New mods to Grover phono stage are amazing, just amazing. I also like my VAC imitation Marantz 7 for phono which has stunning breath of life. I use an EAR transformer for a step-up, set on Aurios, in fact everything is on Aurios, no more pillows, although pillows are the cheapest best tweak ever.

(d) The massive power amps (custom made?) runs on dedicated AC power to your listening room. Other equipment is battery-powered.

Yes indeed. Battery power takes it to a whole nother level. Can't get there without it. No sirree Bob.

(e) There are eight 15" woofers in your loudspeakers (Legacy Whispers).

Highly modified Whispers which I won't go into here, plus two more subs to augment the bottom end. Someday I will write about it.

(f) You recommend and use the TDK Digital Audio CD Recorder (DA-3826).

I sell it and it is very good. I have SH's old modified Marantz 63. DON'T BUY A MARANTZ 63 OR 67 OR 63SE because I have one or Steve had one. It's lacking, to say the least. This one sounds great, but it's not like the one you can buy, so don't buy one!

(g) You put the Magic Pillows under your CD player, amps and battery inverter.

Aurios now, lots of them. Phenomenal improvement.

Here are my questions:
    (4) Did I miss anything important?

Yes, very very important. 1 interconnect can ruin a stereo. 1 interconnect can make more difference that spending $5000 on a new preamp. So lists of equipment are MEANINGLESS to me for the most part. Many bad stereos have good equipment.

(5) If you remember, what was the longest period of time that your system stayed constant? What was the composition of that system?

I don't want to think about those dark days.

(6) Do you use any important tweaks other than the Disc Doctor recording cleaning fluid?

Tons of tweaks. Try unplugging your microwave oven. That's a tweak. Works like a charm. It's free too!

(7) Do you care to show us some photos to "complete the picture"? You know, I heard some pretty nasty rumor about your system. ;)

Well, it doesn't look like much, but I can take some pictures one of these days. It looks like a studio, with blankets on the walls and stuff everywhere.

But I will tell you this. I got a new Santana first album in, an amazing copy, and it was some of the best stereo sound on the planet, bar none. Been to all the shows and stereo stores, heard some big bucks stereos. Ain't never heard nothin' like that. Not even in the ballpark. Took me two days to calm down.

There is a way to ascertain some of the qualities a stereo may have. I recently asked if people could tell me about a song on Joni Mitchell "Blue". So far no takers.

I think I know why. You have to work very hard for a very long time with the best equipment around to hear that quality on Blue. Few will be able to do it. I have 200 email customers and nobody there got it either, probably never tried.

Here's one of my new pet theories. I have a new one every week, so this week's theory goes like this:

For ten years I had great equipment, state of the art stuff. I thought I was IT, man. Then I met George Louis, and he took me to levels of sound I never dreamed of over the course of about 10 years.

Then I got into this business, and did it every day all day, and learned a lot. Made some friends like RP who are really committed and learned a lot from him.

Then I met SH, and he took me up a few levels over the course of five years, still doing it every day, all day. So, I got some tubes. Got some Whispers. Got a battery. Got some Grover electronics. Got this and got that. Made huge improvements over and over and over again.

My point? Once you learn the basics, and get a feel for what it is that you are trying to do, and adapt a scientific methodology to do it, and network with lots of people who have lots to offer, you accelerate your learning to a very high speed.

You know pretty quickly what's what with anything you might hear. You focus on the key elements and make quicker decisions as to which direction to go, and you end up getting there a lot faster, and spending less time in dead ends.

Now I still screw up, from time to time, but I get back on track with some work and some help, and soon I find the sound is even better.

I hope that everyone who wants better sound will make the effort to find it, even though it requires a huge committment of time and resources.

Because it is a thrill unlike any other. I don't know anybody who enjoys his stereo as much as I enjoy mine. That's where my motivation comes from. If it wasn't such a kick I wouldn't do it. Anybody that heard Nevermind over here knows that I was nothing less than ecstatic at what I was hearing. And my Ruggiero Ricci violin record is every bit as powerful in its own way.

I went down this road, and I can tell you what I found. Some people will say "Who does he think he is, telling us this and that, it's just his opinion", yadda yadda yadda.

And that's true. It's just my opinion. But I think it's an informed one, not just any old opinion. And I'd like to share with you what I think might help you, whether it's records, tweaks, equipment--anything but those pesky DSOTM stampers.

TP:D

15. mazort

mazort New Member

Outstanding

Agree with Tom P. re the cabling remark.

Would sincerely be interested in your thoughts on building the turntable stand, Tom.

And I have hardwood floors with nothing beneath them but air and dirt.

16. Angel

Angel New Member

Mr. Humorem,

What do you mean "unplug the microwave"? What the heck good would that do?

Shouldn't we unplug the TV, refrigerator and everything else as well?

Why JUST the microwave?

You're not one of those "microwaves are the first leg of an invasion from outer space" kind of guys, are you? :rolleyes:

17. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Unplug em all, but start there!
    TP

18. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Thanks for all your great info so far Tom! I'm learning a lot and also realize I still have tons and tons to learn...

Todd

19. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Tom,

I too would love to hear about that turntable stand.

And I tried the Blue experiment (with my early Reprise LP, not with Steve's CD yet). Right before the vocal comes in on "A Case of You," right? Didn't hear much, I'm afraid, except a slight change in ambience. :(

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Copulare stand

the best...

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

they also build perfect stands for amps...

23. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Angel,
    I thought some more about this after my first response yesterday.

If I tell you to unplug EVERYTHING, that's a lot of work and chances are you won't do it.

If I tell you to do one thing, one simple thing, the chances are much greater that you will take the trouble, and hopefully you will hear something that then motivates you to go further.

This is an axiom of audio in my opinion. It's all too much trouble until you hear it for yourself. Then you want more! (I do anyway.)

I listened to my stereo by lantern at night. Ask anyone who came over. RP knows! Many shootouts were done with all the breakers thrown except the ones to the stereo. It's heavenly that way.

TP

24. Humorem

Humorem New Member

Claus,

I disagree with this design. I'm pretty sure it can't work as well as mine. Very different design parameters. But that's for another day.

TP

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

This design doesn't work for "light" turntables... but for heavy turntables, it's the best turntable. Many magazines have tested this design, and it was highly recommended. You should go to the website and read more about the design, production...

I think, Copulare was at the CES the first time this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.