DCC Archive Question for Steve Hoffman on Nat King Cole

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauljones, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef Thread Starter

Steve, I just A-B'd "Love Is The Thing"--your version against the 1987 Capitol reissue, and they sound more radically different than any other comparison I have ever done. Did you have to remix from the original tapes--or was there significant reverb and processing added at the Capitol album mastering stage? Was the original master (basically) as warm and direct as your work represents on your CD? Great job!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I've been asked this a bunch of times, but I don't mind going over it again.

Love Is The Thing" was recorded in mono and 1/2" binaural at Capitol Studio A in December 1956.

The MONO version, mixed live to Ampex 300 full track tape was assembled on 1/8/57, and the LP cut a short time later, by John Kraus.

The binaural version sat on the shelf for a while.

The stereo open reel tape and stereo LP versions were prepared about two years later, in haste, with about 10 other "soon to be stereo" releases.

Therefore, the stereo "LP Master" really stinks: Muted, compressed, way too much echo, dropouts, and generally sounding nothing like the amazing sounding mono version, which was mixed "live" as it was happening.

So, in 1987 when the Capitol CD was being readied for release, Larry Walsh checked out the two-track tape, went "Uggh", and went back to the three-track "binaural" version instead. Heck, I would have done the same.

He "mixed" this down to two-track, while adding (IMO) too much echo, too much compression, too much filtering, and way too much thinning out of the stereo image.

So, when it was my turn to do it, I also went back to the three-track version, and did a mix to two-track analog tape (1/2 inch, 15 ips, non-dolby).

I just chose to add a little echo, and NO signal processing of any kind.

Now, after the last bonus song is finished on the DCC CD, let the CD play and you will hear the "hidden" bonus track of "Stardust", without ANY echo whatsoever, straight off of the three track.

How did that bonus track get on there? Well, it was an accident actually.

CNN was filming me mastering "Love Is The Thing"at Future Disc for a news story that they were doing, and I did a version for them that had no echo, on the end of the DCC CD master.

Forgot about it, and it showed up on the first run of the Gold CD. Sheesh.

Check and see if you have it.

There is about a minute pause at the end of the last bonus track on the CD, and then you will hear the voice of producer Lee Gillette, giving the take number.

Neat, eh?

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Steve.....does the binaraul tape use just two tracks, Nats voice on one and the orchestra on the other?

Or is there material on all three tracks?

thanks!!

Mikey

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mikey,

I call it a binaural tape, because that is what Capitol called it in the old days. Kind of neat.

It's a three channel tape:

Channel 1: Orchestra left
    Channel 2: Vocal
    Channel 3: Orchestra right

The reason that Capitol called the process Binaural, is that they used two mics on the orchestra, up in the air, fairly close together.

The mono version, used 8 microphones, its own console, outboard gear and different engineer than the binaural version.

Therefore, the mono mix has more detail in the orchestra.

The first two songs that they recorded for the album, (Love Letters & Maybe It's Because I Love You Too Much), were recorded in mono only, because the Ampex three-track setup wasn't working right.

These are also on the DCC Gold disc, so you can compare the "sound" of the mono versions to the sound of the "binaural" versions, just by changing tracks on the CD.

5. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Wow. I just pulled my DCC Gold CD of Nat "King" Cole's "LOVE IS THE THING" out and played the last song.

You are right! A moment of silence, and then it goes into that AMAZING version of "Stardust".

Probably the best hidden bonus track there ever was!!!!

6. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I kind of hate to ask but, is there anybody out there willing to burn a CD-R of this version for me?

7. Another great Hoffman gold remaster is his version of "The Very Thought of You", which Nat recorded just a year later. Nearly a full hour of more beautifully sung ballads, all orchestrated and conducted by Gordon "Lefty" Jenkins, who also wrote one of the songs, the classic "This Is All I Ask". As you'd expect, the engineering work of John Krauss is absolutely stellar, and Steve lets it shine through unadulterated. I'm lucky enough to have both the gold CD and Steve's LP remaster as well! :D

8. pauljones

Okay, I'm the one who started this topic, and now I am listening to the hidden track I never knew I had. Comparing the "dry" bonus track of "Stardust" with the other version (track two) really delineates the role of the mastering engineer and just how much influence he or she has in "shaping" the sound we hear. Thanks, Steve!

9. pauljones

Claviusb, while cd-r trading is popular and may not be ethically "bothersome" when dealing with the majors or bootleggers, let's try to support labels such as DCC and purchase their product--that is how they can keep providing us with such joy. If we all copied and sold/traded DCC product then there could be no more DCC. Think about it!

10. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

PJ31, this is a great point that I agree with. Since Steve said the "added value" Stardust was only on the first pressing I got the impression that it's not readily available anywhere, and that's the only reason I asked about a Cd-R copy. If I can buy it in a store I'll gladly do that!

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

In principle, I agree. In matter of fact, if DCC is not producing product, how is he supposed to acquire it? Getting reamed on ebay by a reseller (or Music Direct, etc) doesn't help to support DCC, so far as I can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.