Question for Steve - Re: Shure M44 cartridge with "N" stylus

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Jun 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Hey Mikey,

Can you tell me where you got the cart? I'd like to check it out.

Sean

2. I thought most all discs past 1953 were cut RIAA, 78s included. My 78 of "Diana" certainly sounds like it's RIAA. Is this not so?

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Hey Tom....

So, I should I plug my dedicated 78 TT with the Shure MS78 into one of the Mic inputs on my TEAC 3440 for the proper EQ curve?? I could do that, it would be easy.

4. RetroSmith

Zloch...

Got mine on EBAY, a dealer sells them there...34 bucks, I think. Thats a good price...Ive seen it as high as 95$ !!!

Just go to EBAY and type in SHURE M78

5. Tom can give you a more detailed answer here, and I'd hope that he or Steve will chime in with the info...you'll need some equalization, and it can vary from disc to disc. There are preamps out there with multiple turnover and rolloff settings, but they can be pricey. It's probably possible to do it with software, but nothing I have will raise any frequency higher than 18, and at 6db an octave you wind up needing 24. Or am I wrong about that? I'd love somebody to explain the 6db/octave rolloff/turnover stuff in detail.

6. Pug

Hi Mikey!

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't see any of eBay, but Needledoctor.com has one (I think). Is this it?

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.380/it.A/id.296/.f

Thanks!

Sean

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

:confused: I think I understood the '6db/octave rolloff/turnover stuff' at some point, maybe not in much detail but, .. it's your post I find a bit confusing. Hope I'm not telling you something you already know (and I hope even more I'm not talking sh**), but the '6db/octave rolloff/turnover' refers to a frequency (the turnover frequency), from which you will have a slope (rolloff, iirc) downwards, descending at 6db per octave -to follow your example-.

In other words, if your turnover frequency was, say, .. 200 Hz, and you had a 6 dB per octave slope, that'd mean that at the first octave downwards from the slope -for a low-frequency equalizer of the shelving type, such as the bass knob on most preamps- you'd get a 6 dB reduction in the signal -that is, 100 Hz signals (an octave below 200 Hz, remember an octave 'happens' each time frequency doubles or halves) would be attenuated by 6 dB, 50 Hz signals -the second octave from 200 Hz- would get 12 dB of attenuation -remember you already 'had' 6 dB of attenuation from 100 Hz on down, 25 dB signals would get 18 dB of attenuation, 12.5 Hz signals would get 24 dB of attenuation, etc.

Same thing if this hypothetical EQ was set to boost, only UPWARDS by 6 dB per octave instead of downwards. Also the same way with a high freq. equalizer, only 'forward' from the turnover point.

Hope this all just made some sense. :sigh:

9. RetroSmith

10. Pug

Hi Mikey!!

THanks for the link. I checked eBay last night and had no luck. I ordered mine this morning.

Thanks again for the info!!

Sean

11. RetroSmith

Happy to be a help, zloch!!

Pretty funny, we are part of the very few people who still play 78s!!

In fact, I just picked up Sam Cookes "You Send Me" on 78. Cant wait to transfer that.
    Sonny Bono supervised the cutting session for You Send Me, believe it or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.