Question for the experts (reclocking function in a line conditioner)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SoCalUser, Sep 26, 2022.

1. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all,

I’m wondering about a line conditioning filter that accepts power inputs from your components and provides clean power from the wall. There is a separate box with a bnc connection that plugs back into the line filter. I believe this is supposed to reclock or synchronize the power signal. I believe this happens with digital signals between CD players and dacs where the timing can be off requiring a master clock.

I’m wondering what needs to be “reclocked “at the power source level. Something is not making sense to me. I hope my understanding is sufficient enough to even ask the question correctly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Have you seen the device you're referring to? Because reclocking power makes no sense unless you're mean a device that corrects line incoming line voltage. Clocks used in digital correct timing errors aka jitter, see a link below for an explanation of digital clocking.

Digital Clocking Explained

Lowrider75 likes this.
  3. SoCalUser

Thanks for that, if you could put the line voltage correction on a switch and selectively turn it on and off, would it be possible to hear a difference in your music? (I don’t want to name this product).

4. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

It’s possible, even without the reclocking aspect. That is to say, a thing like you describe could make an audible difference even without the reclocking functionality.

5. SoCalUser

Thank you for the answers, very helpful. The device in question is a passive ac line filter that comes with a separate box with a switch and a BNC connection back into the filter. The description on the box without giving it away states a “realignment” of the power signal, which to me implies some sort of clocking, which doesn’t make sense, but could be purely experimental in nature. For sure there are devices out there that cannot be proven or not proven to work. If all it did was correct the line voltage, the box would have said that. I suspect we are in grey territory.

6. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

What you are talking here is well known in datacenter management world as DOUBLE CONVERSION UPS. It rectifies AC line power, buffers it using battery and then generates clean power to supply to the load. If you need it due to bad power line at your place, just search for "double conversion UPS with pure sine output". Something like this Pure sine wave Double conversion online UPS 5kva with battery inside can supply all your audio components, including power amplifiers. Smaller units like TrippLite SU2200XLa 2.2kVA SmartOnline Double-Conversion UPS System | Dell USA will work for anything other than power amps.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  7. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

"Realignment" could also imply lowering the phase difference of voltage versus frequency.

Some products are out there that change the frequency away from the wall frequency on purpose, like the version of the PS Audio Power Plant that has a 90Hz option.

8. SoCalUser

Good to know. This product does not have a large consumer base that I know of. And I’m pretty sure these is no battery inside, so it’s not a UPS. I think the right thing to do is to pursue products that are well known to the public.

9. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Can you give us a link to the product you're referring to?

10. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Tripp Lite, APC, Eaton, Vertiv, Emerson are all well known makers of UPS devices. What you ask for is not marketed for home use at all, but for datacenters and other special applications. This is why they are NOT known to general public outside of professional circles.

As to battery - you need some buffer storage, which can be capacitors bank or battery. In that use case battery is cheaper and allows you to tolerate up to few minutes of line power loss (though you likely only need few seconds).

11. SoCalUser

Sorry for the misunderstanding! LOL, this is what happens when I post a reply without explaining myself. What I meant to say, the product in question, the one I am choosing NOT to name does not have a large consumer base and probably does not have a battery therefore is not a UPS. The CEO for the company in question won't like seeing this post, which is why I won't name the product.

I want to keep the discussion purely about the alleged technology that is used.... a hint : the 60 hz power cycle is being synchronized to the Schuman earth frequency (my words from the description, not from the manufacturer). As a matter of fact, the Schuman earth frequency is ~7.83hz, which is defined as the number of times the speed of light will traverse the planet. Who am I to say this won't work, for what purpose, I am uncertain. Maybe its noise reduction, or maybe its' an ultra-high tech Tone Control that is way ahead of its time and will make the music pop. Not being sarcastic here, this seems to be the true gist of their claim. There are some reviewers who swear by this device.

Let’s discuss the technology only, and leave out individuals, product names, and companies.

12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I wonder precisely how one goes about synchronizing a 60Hz frequency to an ~8Hz frequency? Meet in the middle? Divide 60/8 and use the result? If so, use the resulting frequency to do what? The statement - synchronizing “…the 60HZ power cycle to the Schumann earth frequency…”, on its face, makes literally no sense.

The wavelength of the Schumann frequency is approximately equal to the circumference of the earth - of the planet. That means filtering is out isn’t possible either. Schumann resonance is the principal component of background EMF throughout the planet.

This all sounds like more nonsense from Synergistic:

Galileo PowerCell SX

And by the way Ted (Denney) - the physicist’s name was Schumann, not Shuman. If you’re going to rip something off to use in some sort of at least vaguely plausible way in order to market yet another nonsensical, do-nothing product, get the originating scientist’s name right. Or maybe Ted knows correct spelling and instead of courting a potential cease & desist order from the scientist’s estate decided to deliberately alter the spelling.

The OP spelled Schumann almost correctly. Ted Denney did not on the product marketing page.

The product cannot do what the manufacturer claims it does. If the manufacturer insists that it works, let him demonstrate that to contemporary physicists. If he refuses (or if he can’t), then it makes no sense for Synergistic to continue conjuring claims of “generating Shuman resonance” and similar words to that effect. When someone says they’re generating a Schumann resonance, it means they’re deliberately generating EMI. Why would anyone want to do that in the midst of a two-channel, high-quality home audio system??

Glmoneydawg and SoCalUser like this.