Question on cutting for Beatles White album on white vinyl in 1978?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by j.barleycorn, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thanks for straightening me out on this, Tommy. One reason I get confused on this is that my wife had a 1978 Capitol version from her childhood that I managed to merge into my pile that sounds fantastic next to my original pressing and even my early '70s Apple pressing.

Tommyboy likes this.
  2. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

:doh::doh::doh:
    Of course you're correct, and I had even mentioned they were cut by HTM!

I have a tendency to get a little mixed up when trying to explain the nitty-gritty behind it all. But what you said is what I tried to convey.

Thanks for clearing it up!

Now I think I'm in the mood to select a copy of this one and give it a spin.

3. I have this German white vinyl DMM with the black label upper left and it indeed sounds wonderful with a full bass.

John Bliss and DK Pete like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious why is the UK white vinyl more accurate than the original cut?

John Bliss likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have both but oddly have never A-B compared them. It’s actually been many years since I’ve listened to an original stereo pressing.

My guess is the later cut had a more “accurate” mastering/cutting chain along with perhaps a little less “mastering”.

John Bliss likes this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Steve's comment from an older thread...

Of course, I've mentioned here for years that the WHITE version of the UK White Album is the best sound vinyl version out there. The album doesn't need tube goodness, the album needs accurate solid state Neumann mastering and the white vinyl UK version gives us that. It's my go-to vinyl version.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    John Bliss and chacha like this.
  7. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Shortly after starting this thread I purchased a truly NM copy of the UK '78 White vinyl issue. I also have an original UK stereo top loader. It's very easy to tell the difference between the original tube cut and the later SS one. I was blown away by the white vinyl's sonics but have to confess to still really enjoying the original UK. I'm happy to own both.

8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I fixed that, all I had to do was turn down the treble, I had it up on something else:sigh:
    `
    I got the UK white vinyl yesterday and I have been having fun with it. I did something that I never do and that is for the first listen I did it with headphones (Sennheiser HD 650).
    First I was super impressed with the physical quality of the discs, clean and quiet and the most important aspect is that it is quiet from the tail end of I'm So Tired thru the beginning of Blackbird, they didn't do the play it backwards thing there like I have heard on other copies.
    Then the look, man oh man it is so beautiful on the turntable with the needle on it, I stand there and gaze at it while it's playing beautiful just beautiful.
    Sound wise, warm, deep, rich and the stereo with the headphones is perfect, it took me back to Christmas 1968. And yes I did hear some little things that I never heard before, imagine that after nearly 50 years. I listened to it next on the floor speakers, sounds super on 11.:winkgrin:
    This UK copy deserves it's fine reputation.
    I wondered what they might do with the remix for the 50th Ann, so I immediately put on the Pepper's 50th CD for an idea and it was kinda boring and I like the Pepper's 50th. (But I have been listening to Pepper's on 1987 German CD the last couple of times, so,...)
    If they center everything I think the heart and soul might be taken away so we'll just have to wait and see.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I feel the exact same way. I have the German 1st press with UK -1 stampers. I do love the UK 78 white vinyl, but for some reason I go to the German more often. I do think that if you have either the UK or German 1st, or the 78 UK white vinyl, you need look no further for this title. I have not, however, heard the 85 DMM. Those that have can add that to the essentials list with those above.

John Bliss and j.barleycorn like this.
  10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Due to the facr the UK white vinyl is such a good pressing, I think the US white vinyl get's a bit more slagging than it deserves really. It is not a terrible pressing by any stretch.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  11. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

my '87 Fat Boy CD of the White Album is a mess,
    I was looking it over the other day and I must have had a lot of fun with it,
    still sounds good

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I have the German white vinyl and as I think was noted elsewhere, there are certain differences from the album as we know it. The one I noticed is that the segue from Savoy Truffle to Cry Baby Cry is tighter than usual-- yes, it was already tight, but here it's a millisecond shorter and therefore quite noticeable.

Someone who's done more comparing can say if there are other differences?

13. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

The 1978 German version? compared to any other standard release? (on black vinyl)

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

My copy is a white German DMM album. Not sure of the year, think I bought it in 85-86.

I know the quick segue was noted in an earlier thread about this release.

15. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

The DMM was released in 1985, have you ever heard the 1978 white vinyls?
    If so what do you think of the comparison?

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The 1967-1970 double was on lovely blue vinyl, and 1962-1966 was on red vinyl from UK 1978.

Yes, Holland did a series of colored vinyl as well in 1978.

PS my signature has a link to many Beatles LPs on CV, many Aust, UK , and Dutch are on display.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Dan The Man1 and John Bliss like this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Haven;'t heard them, no. I can say that the DMM is beautiful sounding.

18. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I have both the German and the UK 1978 white vinyls and I am debating if I should get the DMM,

19. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Damn, that White vinyl is just gorgeous..... what’s a reasonable price to pay for one of these UK 78 pressings? How does the German DMM compare?

It might be time to finally let go of my UK mono 1st Press to fund one of these.

John Bliss likes this.
  20. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I have never heard the DMM I do have a US 1968, UK 1973, both German and UK 1978 white vinyl and the 78 UK is head and shoulders above them all.
    The '78 Ger isn't in the NM condition of the '78 UK but both the depth and brilliance are superior on the '78 UK

swedgin likes this.
  21. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Had I done that back then Steve, my retirement fund would be in better shape now .. LOL! Ha ha. I bought the U.K. white vinyl '78 LP when it first came out as well. Brilliant.

John Bliss and abescan like this.
  22. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

John Bliss, YpsiGypsy and MLutthans like this.
  23. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I keep thinking about that DMM,...I'm getting weak, I think I will contact one of the sellers,
    you know just to talk :angel:

forthlin likes this.
  24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

If your wife asks, I'll just tell her you two were just "talking." :righton:

Maranatha5585 and YpsiGypsy like this.
  25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

uk '78 white vinyl is tops but the DMM german is very very nice and the german original is also good.
    can't really go wrong with any of those. I'm less impressed with uk originals but even they are better than US originals or represses I've heard, but I've also heard the rainbow Capitol press was very good...I haven't heard that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.