Question on the DCC Peggy Lee Hits CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sgb, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgb

sgb Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm interested in knowing which version of Fever is on this disc (or if it's on it at all).

Several years ago I bought a Capitol CD entitled Spotlight On Peggy Lee which, according to the liner notes, "appears here in a stereo mix from the original three track recording that had prviously been available only on an old EP." I later found that this version appeared on an Ace (UK) compilation CD entitled Early Girls, Volume 2.

Make no mistake, this is the original hit version from 1958, but in exceptionally good stereo sound: incredible dynamics and reasonably deep bass from the upright acoustic bass and drums; the finger snapping is also exceptional, as is Peggy's voice. Both the Capitol and Ace CDs protray the sound of the original tape very well, but I am hoping that the DCC will be better than either of these two.

I found this recording still available on the web for a little more than $11.00, so I bought it with this anticipation.

Thanks too to those of you who recommended the Nat Cole DCC version of the Greatest Hits CD. I picked this one up in a local used store for $8.99 and couldn't be more pleased. Now, if anyone would like to trade his copy of the DCC Love Is The Thing I would like to hear from you.

2. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Mmh,

I never thought there was a 1960s re-recording of "Fever". Hasn't it always been available in stereo? I have both Peggy Lee DCC CDs and enjoy them a lot ("Latin ala Lee" is my favourite, though).

Arne

3. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

OK, I just visited the Hollywood and Vine web site. Seems to me that your version is not the hit version. This is what they say:

"(...) Things got off to a great start with her smoldering '58 recording of Fever, which appears here in a stereo mix from the original three track recording of a rendition that had previously been available only on an old EP. (...)"

Arne

4. sgb

OK, If it's not the hit version, what is?

S Spotlight on Peggy Lee Capitol 28533
    S Fever & Other Hits Cema 57358
    S Memories Are Made of This Capitol 90592 (live version)
    S Early Girls - Volume 2 Ace CDCHD 657
    M Your Hit Parade - 1958 Time-Life HPD-11
    M Those Fabulous Fifties (Disc 1) Sessions DVC2-0877

Then what you are saying, Arne, is that none of the other four copies of the studio version are the hit version, as, with the exception of the live version appearing on Capitol 90592, they all appear to be the same recording.

Nit-picking aside, who has an answer to my original question? Is the version of Fever appearing on the DCC CD the same as on the three stereo versions appearing in the list above, or is it the mono version appearing on the Time-Life and Sessions compilations?

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Stereo Fever

All,

My favorite version of the Stereo version that I have heard is from the Wild, Cool & Swinging series--just a tad more dynamics and deeper low end than other versions I have heard or own. I have not heard them all, however. Eventhough I own about 5 different versions of the Stereo Fever, I have yet to hear the Mono version. How does it sound?

Bob

6. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Can you really tell one take from another? With Sinatra it's rather easy, because he used a different approach every time - another bridge here, a different pronounciation there. But what if the artist stays really close to what's written and doesn't add any ad lib goodies every time? Take e.g. some of the recently released Ella Fitzgerald Verve Master Editions: You'll be hard pressed to tell the mono from the stereo takes, at least the vocals are not distinguishable. It's almost like an opera singer who attempts a Puccini aria several times. The engineer may ask for more takes because he wants to make slight adjustments on the mics or something, but every performance (at least those from the same hour or so) will sound very much the same. In the case of Ella Fitzgerald I'd even say that the mastering has more influence on how it sounds than her almost undetectable alterations of interpretation.

Arne

7. sgb

Re: Stereo Fever

The better of my two mono versions is on the Time-Life compilation mentioned in my earlier post; the Sessions track is a little strident by comparison. Based on what Arne has told us, this is not the real hit version. I confess that my memory is a little cloudy on this issue, though: I was only 15 in 1958 when this song came out and only heard it on the radio.

The stereo version on the cheapo "Fever & Other Hits" is the most dreadful sounding of them all though, but it is identical to the version appearing on the Spotlight album (which is a great set, all in all). I'm not familiar with the Wild, Cool and Swinging series. Is it still available?

Since there doesn't appear to be anyone who actually has the DCC Peggy Lee CD I am referring to, maybe Steve Hoffman will chime in with the definitive answer. The question again is, Is the version of Fever appearing on the DCC CD the same one as that appearing on the Capitol Spotlight album?

Far Arne: I too much enjoy the Latin a-la-Lee album; got it about a year ago from the same web seller that still has this DCC Lee Hits title in stock.

Would anyone care to comment on the sound quality of the pink and black Peggy Lee collection that came out a few years ago? TIA

8. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Stereo Fever

sgb,

The Wild, Cool and Swinging series can still be found in stores under Lounge music typically. The Red and Black compilation sounds very good to my ears! I recommend it!

Thanks for the Mono Fever review!

Bob

9. sgb

Arne,

As you've noted, sometimes it's impossible, but others it's quite obvious.

I recall in the early days of CD I bought an import CD of Aaron Neville's greatest hits. It had "Tell It Like It Is" in stereo (a surprise to me), but when I got it home, I knew the instant the song started playing that this was not the original version, but it was so close to the original as I remembered it that I wasn't sure I was correct at first. As time went on, I had collected several others with this song on it:

M Chart Busters LaserLight 12 318
    S 1966 Classic Rock Time-Life 2CLR-02
    M Super Hits - 1967 Time-Life SUD-05
    M Slow Jams - The 60's Volume 1 Right Stuff 27306
    S Soul of New Orleans Charly 14
    S Dick Bartley Collector's Essentials: The 60's Varese Sarabande VSD-5705

Of these, only the Bartley has the true original version of the song in stereo; the Charly and Time-Life collections do not. Chart Busters has the INCORRECT version of the song in mono, but unless this board is populated by others besides you and I who have an interest in this stuff, I seriously doubt that there would be many who could distinguish one from the other - or, more importantly, know which one is the genuine article.

10. Bob Lovely

Tell It Like It Is

sgb,

The Bartley version sounds fantastic too!...great sonics!

Bob :)

11. sgb

Re: Re: Re: Stereo Fever

I'll look for it today since I've got the day off, but tell me, Bob, is this Red and Black compilation one in this series, or are you refering to this album?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=859196129

This is what I meant by the pink and black collection (which comes from a box set).

12. Bob Lovely

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stereo Fever

sgb,

That is it!

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sigh. Peggy Lee. I did two CD's of her Capitol stuff. One came out the way I wanted, and one was, er, taken away from me at the last minute.... Grrrr..

The DCC Peggy Lee disc you want is "Latin' Ala Lee". DZS-181. Remastered directly from the dry three-track master tapes! Limited run of these. When Peggy's manager heard it, he made us recall it, so if you can find one GRAB IT!

The DCC Peggy Lee disc you perhaps don't want, is the greatest hits we did. (Bewitching-Lee) DZS-179. The first run (all destroyed by the way) had my three-track dry versions of all the songs including "Fever". AMAZING SOUND! But, Peggy Lee's manager didn't like the songs without all of the drenching Capitol echo, so production was stopped and the BOB NORBERG no-noised versions were substituted. This is the version that is out there. It's ok, but I didn't do it!

So, get "Latin ala Lee"!!!!

;) :( :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

14. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I would love to hear the "dry" versions that you mastered! I hope someday I get to. "Dry" is good, like a dry Martini! Why are record labels so "threatened" by you, Steve?...just a thought...

Bob :confused:

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve,

I remeber speaking to you about a year ago about the "Bewitching Lee" disc. Bob Norberg processed it (except for "Is That All There Is?", but I think he didn't touch the EQ, right? (Don't remember completely - haven't played it in a while).

MMM

16. Steve Hoffman

You remember correctly.

"Is That All There Is" I managed to slip on there UNALTERED from the original master mix. And I had to fight and fight just to get that one without no-noise. So, if you like that song (and I sure do), this is the CD to hear the correct version on.

Worth the price of the disc? You must decide!

17. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Well the management type is obviously someone who doesn't appreciate the clarity of what her voice sounded like, the power it had, and the smooth as a 15-year-old glass of Mcallans' timber to it. Oh well, at least you got the Latin album out. The album is really excellent Steve. Kudos for the great work and finally being able to hear her voice not drenched in the reverb. Highly recommended if you don't have the album by the by. In this case your mileage ain't going to vary because this album is a gem.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes it is.

Thanks Steve

19. sgb

Thanks for your input, Steve. Guess I'll have to try the pink & black Capitol to see if I can get Fever in even better sound than on the Spotlight album.

As for Latin ala Lee, I noticed that the web seller who had it a few months back doesn't anymore (glad I got mine when I did). Hewever, I know of one copy here in Louisiana that's still sitting in the bins of a local dealer. If you can't find one where you are, email me & I'll pick it up for you. He has only one so it's first come...:cool:

20. Steve Hoffman

Bob,

Remember, in the case of Peggy Lee, none of this was Capitol Records' fault. They were very helpful to me, indeed they always have been! Just think about the Nat "King" Cole discs I did, and the Judy Garland and The Band, etc.:)

21. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks for the reminder and clarification! Yes, I bought the all Cole discs you did as soon as they were offered for sale and I now recall the folks at Capitol were very helpful to you on those projects. I inferred that from the liner notes, etc.

Thanks again!

22. Angel

Angel New Member

Thanks Steve! :)

So to answer an earlier question, how many Capitol Studio versions of Peggy Lee's "Fever" are there anyway? :confused:

23. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, since I only paid about $3.98 for mine, it's worth it to me...

Or at least it **would** be, if it weren't for the fact that my CD-ROM drives can't access that track on the disc...! (Strange, because I've tried it on two different drives, and my Plextor usually plays **anything** with a hole in it...)

Steve, can I assume that your version didn't have the cross-channel distortion on "My Man"? And where would that have come from, anyway? It practically sounds as though it was dubbed from a record.

-Kevin

24. Steve Hoffman

Well, the only one I've heard, is the master take, recorded in mono and on three-track in Capitol Studio B: Master number 19145. My source tape was the three-track compilation reel P3X-1.

This is the version on the original Capitol 45 as well....

25. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks for the insider info! My girlfriend thinks the Elvis version of Fever that you mastered is the sexiest song ever recorded!!

Bob ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.