Questions about streaming Qobuz using an iPhone 13 to a WiiM Mini...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bill Mac, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently subscribed to Qobuz and had a few questions about using an iPhone 13 to stream to a WiiM Mini. Using the WiiM IOS app I'm able to stream hi-res titles from Qobuz to the WiiM Mini then to my DAC. But if I try to stream Qobuz from the iPhone using the Qobuz app it's only 44.1/16 even with hi-res titles. I'm a bit confused as why I get hi-res with the WiiM IOS app but do not with Qobuz IOS app.

Any thoughts and advice on this would be appreciated :)!

2. BillInGa

BillInGa Forum Resident

I believe what you’re seeing is the limits imposed by the iphone when used to stream via airplay. I noticed a big improvement in sq when i stopped using airplay to stream to the wiim, and allowed the wiim to use qobuz directly. I still use the iphone to control the wiim, but i dont stream to the wiim anymore.

3. Bill Mac

Thanks! That's what I thought the issue was. By using the WiiM IOS app it's streaming direct to the Mini using wi-fi opposed to Bluetooth with the Qobuz IOS app. I'm really enjoying Qobuz and the hi-res titles. Listening to Santana's Borboletta in 96/24 and it sounds excellent! Better than the CD version I have.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

This review may help.

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Excellent… thank you!

audiomixer likes this.
  6. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

Just be aware that even when he published this video, it was already doing hi res with many services including Qobuz. It also did gapless with Qobuz (which he claimed to have a subscription to at the time). I was motivated enough after his review to do my own video showing it doing gapless and hi res when his video came out. Wiim has had several updates since then, so maybe some things have changed even since my reviews.

Personally, I use it with Amazon because it is the most seamless and cheapest for my use (can stream hi res from the Amazon app) and I can control it with Alexa, as well. They are rumored to be coming out with a pro version that adds Chromecast along with many other features later this month (though they are often behind schedule with updates, so the Pro could also be late).

7. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I use this exact scenario. But boy do I wish the iOS WiiM app showed on the phones Lock Screen so you could see what’s playing, skip a track, or control the volume without having to unlock your phone and navigate to the app every time. A minor quibble but I hope they can improve that in future app updates.

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. slater529

slater529 Forum Resident

What a hassle! I'm curious what phone you're using... With my iPhone 13 set for Raise to Wake and with Face Recognition set to "ON" it works like this: I simply raise the phone and the display turns on, a moment later the screen unlocks by itself, and then all I have to do is swipe up and the app is right there running.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Yes my phone is set to do the same but being so used to controlling my music apps directly from the lock screen, its taking some getting used to. Sometime I just want to see what the song is called or to adjust the volume from the other room and needing to get into the app is just an extra step. Ah, the trials of technology and good sounding audio!

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Just sent the message below to WiiM support...

Hello, I’m loving my WiiM Mini and will be getting the Pro when it comes out. I would really like to see the WiiM iOS app updated so it would show on my iPhone 13’s lock screen. It’s a bit frustrating to have to unlock my phone in order to pause, make track selections and volume changes. Many iOS WiiM app users I know would love to see this feature as well. Thank you for your time!

I forgot to add that the Tidal and Qobuz iOS apps show on the lock screen of my iPhone.

imsjry likes this.
  11. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Nice. So what is tbe main advantage of the Pro vs the Mini?

12. Bill Mac

Below is a link from the WiiM website. If you scroll down a bit on the Pro page it'll show a detailed comparison of features between the Mini and the Pro. The biggest advantage for me would be the ability to use an ethernet connection and an additional digital output (coaxial). My Wi-Fi is fine but ethernet might be a better option.

Overview - WiiM Mini - WiiM

imsjry likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

I heard back from WiiM support. I've sent a few emails to them and have always received a response.

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for your feedback and suggestions.

We will investigate how to implement the control center in lock screen for iOS and Android, then we also will make a plan to develop it and release it. Please stay tuned!

Best,
    WiiM Support

14. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

That’s amazing! Thank you!

I’m going to do a ticket on another “issue” I discovered where large playlists I have in Qobuz aren’t populating all the tracks in the WiiM app. It only shows the first 200 or so with no ability to load more tracks.

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Did you do a formal support ticket or email them directly somehow?

16. jamesthegator

jamesthegator Forum Resident

I love the WiiM mini, and I love qobuz. Now I just wish WiiM would make it Roon ready (not via airplay, but actual Roon ready) so I could get the full resolution streamed via Roon! I might be asking too much, though, for a $100 streamer!

17. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

For those who use it, looks like the WiiM app only shows the first 500 songs in a Qobuz playlist. Spotify and Tidal it will let you "load more tracks" so you can eventually get them all, but not with Qobuz."heavy sigh"