Questions for REL Subwoofer Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 4, 2020.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

you can probably fix the 100hz peak by moving your main speakers out from the wall as far as you can, even 40 cm will help.
    i am betting that the 70hz valley is sub to main cancellation or crossover too low. try switching the polarity switch and or bumping up the crossover frequency. do those actions and re measure. your room may be constraining but that response appears to be fixable.

2. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Sadly wrong on both accounts. That was with the speakers well out into the room - almost a metre.

The main problem is the listening position - ears are about 1ft from the rear wall.

I will post some graphs with a MiniDSP in the chain next week (EQ'd).

3. Darnon

Darnon Well-Known Member

Upon initial testing of a T/9i, I'm getting a 'hum' starting at 3 clicks up on the HI/LOW Level input. I hear and feel nothing in the first 2 clicks. Also, this is happening with the crossover at zero, and no music playing (amp on only). The hum increases with each click. I turned it off altogether.

I searched this thread and found similar issues on p.11 from @Glmoneydawg @DavidR

Bought new from Upscale Audio 3 weeks ago, and just unboxed it a few days ago. Thoughts?

Best,

4. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Contact Upscale Audio.

5. avanti1960

how is the sub connected to your amplifier?
    is the amplifier and subwoofer plugged into to the same AC circuit?
    other REL troubleshooting tips-
    How to Stop Subwoofer Hum That is Caused by a TV Set Top Box | REL
    How do I stop my subwoofer from humming?

Darnon and Glmoneydawg like this.
  6. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I think DavidR had a mechanical hum(possibly loose transformer mounting?)...yours sounds more like an electrical issue....play around with your cables ect.....lots of REL owners here...they will likely have better advice for you.

Darnon likes this.
  7. Darnon

Darnon Well-Known Member

The sub is connected using the Hi Level Input's red wire to my speaker's front right positive speaker output terminal (where I have my Kimber Kable 8PR banana plugged in that output to my Klipsch). The Hi Level Input's yellow wire is attached to my front left positive speaker output terminal. The black wire is connected to the front left negative speaker output terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIenhBQEtE4 24-:49 portion of this video

Yes, the amplifier and sub are plugged into the same AC circuit and power strip.

Troubleshooting steps:
    1. Unplugged the sub power and plugged it into a different power strip nearby then turned it back on. Hum still present at click 3.

2. Disconnected ground and found a screw in the back of the amp to use as a ground. Hum still present at click 3.

3. Disconnected ground and wrapped in e-tape. Hum still present at click 3.

4. Kept e-tape on ground and plugged an RCA cable into an unused RCA connector in the rear of my amp and into the REL's LOW .1/LFE input (1:00 mark in the "How do I stop my subwoofer from humming?" video above). There is no longer any hum at click 3, but it starts to become audible at click 4 and above, although it's very faint.

Both of the power strips are likely on the same AC circuit, so if I want to connect the sub to another AC circuit I'm going to have to get a power cable that's 10' longer.

8. Darnon

Darnon Well-Known Member

I should characterize the hum/vibration experienced in step 4 is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the original set up. I had to put my ear up to it and hand on the speaker to feel it until I got to click 20 or so when I could hear it (still faintly) standing in front of it. Also, I unplugged the REL's power cable from the new power strip back into the original power strip, where the amp is plugged. It did not produce any additional hum/vibration than experienced in step 4.

Best,

9. Joshua Tree

REL will announce the follow up T/i models next week... just a rumor, but if you consider buying one of the current subs you might want to wait a little bit. Over here in Germany the Zero and 7 are no longer available.

gpalz, shug4476 and bever70 like this.
  10. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I got a used T9i a few weeks ago and everything works great. However, in the last couple of days, the "standby" is no longer working. It's on all the time. Even when I switch the amp off t the mains, the sub just stays on. (Yes, I have checked the switch is in the standby position!)

Any ideas what the problem is there?

11. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

THIS is the original!

12. Joshua Tree

13. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

14. Joshua Tree

15. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

A 6.5" driver has no business being called a SUBwoofer. Give me a break.

:laugh:

Riotvan likes this.
  16. bever70

Dude, you have magnepans, what would you know about bass :laugh:.

17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

indeed
    quite ridiculous

18. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I finally got around to doing the 2 hour "Sneakers" break-in last week and am happy to report that it really does make a difference. Although I was happy with the REL-assisted low end prior to the break-in, it's definitely lower, deeper and wider now. Not a bad "upgrade" for a few bucks and a couple of hours!

With my wife and I both working from home, more or less, and having two dogs, I haven't had the right opportunity to do the final, 12-hour break-in, but I'm keeping it in the back of my mind and we'll get there eventually...

bever70 and Ro-Go like this.
  19. LeBud

LeBud Born to be mild

I've had my Rel T7i for almost three years now . In that time I've changed amps twice, speakers five times and went through 4 different cartridges on my TT ... but the Rel stays.
    It's an incredibly adaptive sub.

Douglas Lam, chipcalzada and bever70 like this.
  20. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i have the opportunity to replace a serviceable polk that supplements my MA gold bookshelves with a T/7i for $700.00. thoughts...?

21. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

I think most people in this thread would say if you have the funds, do it. I have the T9 and it changed my listening experience for the better. So much so that I’m planning on adding another when the time is right.

bever70 likes this.
  22. bever70

Amen to that !

23. avanti1960

good match if your room is not too big.

24. Rayvano

Rayvano Forum Resident

Same here with my t5’s, when I disconnected the high level connection of my subs they go after 20 minutes in auto standby.

25. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

15 feet wide by 10 feet deep. i guess i'd consider that not too big. the goal being to tighten things up from what i feel is latent sloppiness from the klipsch.