Questions for REL Subwoofer Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 4, 2020.

1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

the t7i should work well in your room with corner placement and have excellent sound quality including tightness and integration.

2. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

excellent. last question: can the high level cable be connected to my amps' 'c' speaker connects? my speakers are currently bi-wired using 'a' and 'b'. (note: stock image below).
    [​IMG]

3. ether-bored

to answer my own question, REL tells me; “
    If the C set is simply outputting the full left/right stereo signal of your main speakers, then you can absolutely connect the T/7i via high level to this pair instead.”

bever70 and avanti1960 like this.
  4. avanti1960

I had one amp I tried to use the "B" speakers for the subwoofer. Resulted in lots of hum. I had to connect to "A" terminals with the speakers, solved the hum and no big deal- in case that happens to you.

bever70 likes this.
  5. ether-bored

good to know. ty. but look at the size of those speaker terminals. tiny. hence the no-wiring in A and B already. maybe the neutrik speakon gauge is small enough to fit...

6. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

From memory the Rel T-series came out around 2011 and the Ti series came out around 2016.

So a new T series could be on the cards eventually, whether that is soonish or more likely 2021.

These would be some of the characteristics I would like to see in a new T-series, my opinions only:

- Roughly keep the existing T5i/T7i/T9i form-factors and dimensions

- Replace the Class-AB amps with more powerful Class-D amps trickled down from the new S-series, for example say 200watts instead of 125watts in T5, and so-on

- Incorporate home-theater improvements from the HT series (like the new S-series did)

- Incorporate S-series high-level input improvements as well (whatever they may be)

- No stackability. This should remain for the S-series and up.

The aim, especially if the amps where bumped up in power, would hopefully be greater output and linearity, but not necessarily greater extension.

7. ether-bored

just a happy ending footnote that 3 weeks later my new T/7i (the pre-owned option fell through) is installed and working amazingly seamlessly, if i’m allowed double adjectives.

there’s no doubt that the installation, adjustment, and placement was made infinitely easier than it would have otherwise been. so thanks to everyone for generously sharing their opinions and experiences.

in the end, the sub is a stunning replacement to my prior entry level piece. the increased clarity, precision, and texture is simply unreal. worth. every. cent.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  8. avanti1960

Update on my Rels-
    After 3 months of using them they started sounding a little too pronounced so i backed off another click on each side's level control. Must be break in giving them a little more output.
    (The click stop controls for crossover and level are genius BTW, perfect for logging your settings if you ever want to experiment).

Unabashedly I cannot hear any seams in the sound- bass is perfectly integrated and the sound is amazing.
    I leave the amps powered up 24/7 but last week for some reason I switched them off.
    Listening later that week and thought something was off, weaker and less dynamic. I was not happy!
    Checked the subs- yep- forgot to turn them on. Ahhhhhhh, problem solved :)

9. ether-bored

...maybe this is a good time to speak to what i can expect through and beyond the break in period?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I’m looking to add a sub to my set up. I have the Dyn Special40’s. My room is similar size to yours also. How do you have the sub connected? I have Primare amps class d and I’ve been reading that connecting to the power amp has to be done with great care. I have pre 1 and 2 available on the Pre-amp which would be my preferred connection.

11. avanti1960

follow the Rel break in procedure ( linked somewhere in this thread or search).
    what you will expect is that it will be over quickly and anything beyond that is gradual.

ether-bored and bloodlemons like this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It will probably sound smoother or relaxed, the main difference will show within a couple of days.

ether-bored likes this.
  13. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I experienced an immediate, significant increase in volume and depth after the "Sneakers" break-in. And this was after having the subs for over a year without breaking them in. It was not an incremental change.

ether-bored likes this.
  14. Reedoo

Reedoo Well-Known Member

I have a T5i with Magnepan MMGs, powered by a Schiit Vidar. I use the high level inputs. It’s in an 11’x12’ room. Aside from a room mode (small room issues), the bass is perfect. If there is low end data, it’s reproduced faithfully, for good or ill. For setup, I err on the lowest gain and the lowest crossover level. It integrates well with the Maggies and that’s a compliment. If I were to do anything it would be to add a second one to try to tame the room mode.

15. Oliver Meyer

I found this article for Primare owners and adding a sub.
    Primare Connection Methods
    seems like using the Low-level pre-amp output connection is preferred.

16. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

I use an integrated tube amp so there's only one place to connect it, the speaker terminals. The REL high connector wires are black, red, and yellow ones.

[​IMG]

17. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

That is how mine are wired into my Decware ZMA

Bananas&blow likes this.
  18. ether-bored

and mine, to my humble but happy sansui 9090. it sings.

Bananas&blow and bloodlemons like this.
  19. Oliver Meyer

Thanks for the pictures guys. This is what the article says that I posted above about Primare amps.

However, certain amplifiers’ output topologies, including some from Primare, prevent the use of this connection scheme due to their need to most effectively use the power supply of the amplifier which results in reversal of phase, or inverted phase, output in one of the channels of the partnering amp to which the sub is being connected. This can result in the standard connection scheme not providing the correct signal to the subwoofer’s, or in worst-case scenarios may cause damage to the sub or amplifier.

According to REL the T5i is now safe to use with D class amps. I’ll call them on Monday and see if they agree with the article.
    i found a REL T5i used and it should be here on Wednesday. Very excited to hear out if I can connect it safely.

Bananas&blow, bever70 and bloodlemons like this.
  20. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Congrats in advance, once you have it dialed in it will make your S40's sing!

ether-bored and Oliver Meyer like this.
  21. Oliver Meyer

I just hope that if I have to run it through the low level pre outs it still works as well as the high level.

This is what is recommended when connecting the high level :-
    Note: high-level connection with one sub is possible, but only with one channel connected, due to the reversed/inverted phase output on the left channel. For this, we recommend connecting the red and yellow cables to the Right red (+) speaker output and the black wire to RCA collar or XLR ground pin to unused input on amp or preamp.

I’m not sure how to connect the ground to an RCA or XLR pin properly. Hopefully someone on here can help me out.

22. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

Are you good with a soldering iron? If yes, you can just cut one of those el-cheapo RCA cables and solder the ground wire to the RCA wire that connects to the outer collar.

Or you can get one of these RCA connectors and crimp the ground wire to the outer collar in the connector.
    US $0.75 |1/4/10pcs RCA Male Connector Non Solder plug Adapter for Audio Cable Plug Video CCTV camera Solder Free high quantity|Connectors| - AliExpress

Oliver Meyer and bloodlemons like this.
  23. Oliver Meyer

I have an old rca ready to go. I’ll solder it. Looks like it might be here tonight

Douglas Lam likes this.
  24. Oliver Meyer

T5i came today and I have soldered the ground to a RCA connector.
    I have it connected as instructed and so far so good. Couldn’t find the Sneakers soundtrack on Tidal so used YouTube and the SQ is poor. Not as easy to set up as I thought on your own.
    still after an hour of playing around I think I have it decent enough. Will play with it some more but very happy so far.

Rayvano, chipcalzada and Douglas Lam like this.
  25. ether-bored

that ‘sneakers’ track isn’t the only track suitable for an initial break in. surely you have something in your own collection with regular low cycle bass.

in any case, rel customer support is best in class in my experience. they’re quickly responsive to emails and even calls during pacific time business hours.

congrats on your new t/5i.

Oliver Meyer likes this.