Questions for REL Subwoofer Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 4, 2020.

1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I hope the t9i crossover setting is not the same as my previous T5i. The T5i at the lowest position on the xo (supposedly 30hz), the sub measured flat up to 55hz, making the REL T5i useless for any speakers that reach flat to 60 even 65hz. The T5i would be useless for shl5plus.

2. Douglas Lam

Douglas Lam Forum Resident

How about one T9i vs 2x T5i? Which one will you choose?

bever70 likes this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

excellent for you ! sounds exactly like what i am looking for.

bever70 and rischa like this.
  4. avanti1960

yes, me too since the dealer carries both and recommended REL over JL.

5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Hard to say as I don't have experience with any of those. Maybe go for 2 T7i's if budget allows ;). Seriously, the T5i only has one woofer instead of 2 with the T7i or T9i so I don't know how much this has any influence on its performance.
    I have asked REL about adding a T5i to my T7i, and they said this should perfectly work: to add a 2nd smaller sub to complement a single bigger one, as long as you stay within the same model range. So this is another option to consider...

dennem and Douglas Lam like this.
  6. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Dude I told you REL. I’m no audiophile but I’m a musician and know sound.
    My REL T7i doesn’t mess with the mids and sounds great. Tight and fast.
    60 day trial. Get one and see for yourself.

McGuy likes this.
  7. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Interested in hearing what avanti1960 thinks as well. I was thinking of getting a Hsu ULS-15 MK2 Rosenut, but the T9i caught my eye because size wise its a better fit for my room. However, I'm not a fan of piano black, the logo placements and +$300 price point over the ULS-15.

8. Douglas Lam

Thanks for your reply. I'm comparing those two scenarios because the price is quite similar. Yeah, two T7s would be ideal but we don't live in an ideal world, sigh. Lol

The idea of mixing different sized sub is interesting but also confusing. I believe the purpose of a stereo sub is for balanced sound imaging/staging? So wouldn't unbalanced speakers mess things up?

Anyway, how would you describe the difference in sound between one vs two subwoofers?

bever70 likes this.
  9. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I'd say go for the T/9i - I got my T/9 for $500 on ebay, looked and performs as new and my t/9i was about the same price on ebay as well. Now, I will tell you that after a year or so, not sure why, I got an awful hum from the T/9i - called REL, they did some trouble shooting, couldn't figure it out. They told me to pay for shipping to them and provided a FedEx label and they'd fix it and send it back for free. And yes, I told them I bought it used and had no idea how old it was. Great company. I just had to send in the amp, not the entire unit. Did this last week actually.

bever70, Tone? and Douglas Lam like this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I wish everyone in the audio world used the same grounding scheme. So annoying.

11. bever70

Well I never had two subs, I am just tempted to add a 2nd sooner or later, but at the moment I am perfectly happy with 1 T7i. It's only when you hear what 1 Rel sub adds to the overall sound that you start to wonder what 2 subs might be like. I'm a sucker for soundstage and imaging and Rel always states that's where 2 subs make an even bigger change.
    With regards to having 2 different sizes (t5i + t7i for example) , they told me that adding a smaller sub (t5i) would be perfect to solve a possible bass node issue if one has that problem with 1 sub (because of room issues or when you are restricted in the placement of that 1 sub...) and to get more equal bass in different spots of the room.
    I don't have such issues as my sub is in the exact right spot where it needs to be in my room and my room seems to be very forgiving with regards to such issues.
    So I would only get another just for the extra soundstage/imaging bonus and you might be right that getting the same model would be preferrable if that is the main goal you are after.

Douglas Lam likes this.
  12. Douglas Lam

I see.

The idea of two different subs may work very well in practice and I believe what Rel says, but I don't think it will work psychologically for me. It's probably gonna screw with my brain forever with that setup. It's mentally like having a bookshelf speaker for the left channel and a floorstanding for the right! Crazy audiophiles I know, Lol.

Anyway, I think I'll just get a single T9i for now. Thanks for your feedback.

MC Rag, McGuy and bever70 like this.
  13. avanti1960

received and installed the t9is yesterday.
    now i remember why i hate subwoofers. people who disregard speaker break in should hear the underwhelming sound of a new sub or two.
    build quality and suplied materials are first rate.
    i had to find a video online for how to connect 2 subs because it is not in the manual.
    the high level cable is two miles long btw.
    good news is no hum whatsoever and everything is working.
    i will run them per RELs break in procedures, fine tune the integration and then do some listening.
    after 3 hours they sound worse than the martin logan 800x dynamos that i returned...

14. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

15. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that, @avanti1960. What are the differences your hearing between the Martin Logans and RELs?

16. bever70

Connection for 2 subs is also on their site (see 'articles'). Did you just put them down where your others were or did you find the right spot where they need to be ? This might take longer than just a few hours ... But then I'm pretty sure you allready know that :D.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

could you measure them set at the lowest XO? im really curious to see if those actually roll off at their specified xo (30hz)

avanti1960 likes this.
  18. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

IF it doesn't work out you still have the option to try a single sub setup.

19. avanti1960

update- they are starting to show something. after today the REL break in process will be finished and i'll begin proper measuring and tuning.
    right now supertramp "school" is playing on radio paradise and the RELs are sounding really good!

Ulises, MC Rag, LivLif and 8 others like this.
  20. Douglas Lam

If you have time, could you please try doing a quick comparison between one vs two subs and give us a feedback? Thanks

slazechko likes this.
  21. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

im sure they’ll break in wonderfully. I bought mine used so I didn’t have to go through this process. They were wonderful from the start.

avanti1960 likes this.
  22. avanti1960

Did this last night as I was tuning them.
    Based on where I have mine positioned left and right the response was different for each, The right side measured flatter and deeper while the left sub had more impact at the midbass.
    I could have gotten away with using one, the T9is are decently powerful, but having two evens out the total response at the listening position.

bever70, Glmoneydawg and Douglas Lam like this.
  23. Douglas Lam

Thanks for testing it out. I suppose it's good to have different responses to even out any nulls and peaks.

Anyway, no thanks to you guys, I have a pair of T9is arriving next week! Geez, I better delete my account here right away or I'll go broke soon. Lol.

Bananas&blow, bever70 and avanti1960 like this.
  24. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Good stuff!...sounds like it's working out well for you...definitely giving me something to think about:)

avanti1960 likes this.
  25. avanti1960

REL T9is are tuned and ready to review.

Let me start by mentioning my experiences as they relate to common thoughts about REL subwoofers (myths vs. reality) as they apply to these T9is in my room and system.

Common thoughts-
    REL subwoofers cannot play deep. MYTH. These T9is are measuring flat to 20Hz at the listening spot and play deep and sustained quite well.
    REL subs are musical, fast and have good tonal definition, low distortion and emphasize quality- REALTY. So far I have heard many shades of bass and the notes are well presented and represented with dexterity. Zero bloating, bleeding and sluggishness.
    REL subwoofers are easy to setup and integrate because of their quickness. MYTH. If you really care and pay attention to the sound, they are no easier to integrate than any other subwoofer. Proper technique and process are still required- however they are quite "integratable" even without variable phase control.
    REL subwoofers are not punchy. MYTH! These t9is are punchy as heck !
    REL subwoofers are a poor value. Leaning to MYTH. So far they sound better than any other subwoofers I have heard or owned and are a perfect compliment to my system. Previous subs include JL Audio D110 and Martin Logan Dynamo 800X. The RELs beat each of them easily. It seems like you get what you pay for. Note- I have heard but not owned SVS subwoofers so I cannot comment on their value. Right now I have no interest in them based on the sound I am hearing which is excellent.

Final comments- they do not harm the midrange! The clarity and transparency I have without subwoofers is still there with the subs engaged and tuned properly. Unlike previous subs I have owned.
    I love the sound and they are keepers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tlay, Al F, CoryG85 and 31 others like this.